Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Toyota Matrix XR AWD  (Read 5686 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2010 Toyota Matrix XR AWD
« on: January 15, 2010, 04:06:41 am »

Equipped with a 158-hp 2.4-litre four-cylinder engine and on-demand all-wheel drive system, the Matrix XR AWD has plenty of power and traction for winter driving, says Contributing Editor Chris Chase, but he questions its value-for-money relative to its competitors.

Read More...

Gwido

Re: Test Drive: 2010 Toyota Matrix XR AWD
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 07:35:25 am »
What about the Jeep Compass and Patriot with 4WD? I think they are competitors to the Matrix and probably cheaper too.

Roy

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 08:32:31 am »
Excellent article conclusion - too many articles gloss over the price as a significant factor of the vehicle.

Jackmac

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 08:51:57 am »
The TENTH article on the '09-'10 Matrix.  Enough already.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 09:20:43 am »
The requirement for long arms is a bit worrying...have the short leg part. I like the 2WD version and something like this may be in our future when the Caravan goes and we revert to a single vehicle. The Fit is a compelling vehicle though. We looked at the previous model Matrix and liked the way that the back seats folded flat with conviction...as I recall. Not inclined squigy cushion like. This means a higher deck though but is probably a good trade-off. As I recall entrance and egress was easy and presume this aspect has not changed. Don't like the dash but like the location of the shifter (column or 'Caravan like' would do for me...and ditch the divide). Can't understand what wheel size has to do with the radio or heated seats or whatever. I don't know...I think that 16"s, or 15's even, are the right size for this car. More rubber and less 'Clump'...hmmm. I would probably put a thin rubber pad down on the deck to stop sliding and presumably there would be tie-downs to hold the dog's cage.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:28:53 am by Rupert »

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 09:56:16 am »
What about the Jeep Compass and Patriot with 4WD? I think they are competitors to the Matrix and probably cheaper too.

Gwido, you make a good point, but they're marketed as SUVs.
I used to work here.

Offline Snowdog

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 01:17:29 pm »

Maybe they only wanted to suggest alternatives that weren't from the bottom of the class.

Eastern Promises

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 03:17:57 pm »
Nicely balanced review.

aldikan

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 08:09:04 pm »
I am somewhat surprised by relatively poor fuel economy in the city:

Matrix XR AWD: 2.4 L engine: 158 HP: real city 12.7 L/100 KM

My 2003 Subaru Legacy AWD auto: 2.5 L engine: 165 HP, bigger and heavier car:  the worse I ever had was 13.5 L/100 KM ( short trips to C-train and back, 2.5 KM one way on the cold engine).

I know it all relates to how you drive, but I am not gentle with the gas pedal at all...

Party time

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 04:57:42 pm »
The Matrix is a joke....on top of being outdated it is expensive and has reliablilty issues.  Toyota is atrting to lose it BIG TIME!  

The Jeep Compass and Patriot any day just because of cost! Other options are the Mazda 3 or Mazda 5.  Stay away from Toyota  ;)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 08:57:08 pm »
The Matrix is a joke....on top of being outdated it is expensive and has reliablilty issues.  Toyota is atrting to lose it BIG TIME!  

The Jeep Compass and Patriot any day just because of cost! Other options are the Mazda 3 or Mazda 5.  Stay away from Toyota  ;)

Thanks for the advise. ???
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

MB Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 11:42:41 am »
Like several others, I thought this review was much more realistic than some others I've read.

Toyota seems to be losing touch with the Cdn market.  If you get an XR in MB  the first thing you have to do is buy another set of rims and tires to run in the winter.  The stock XR tires are dangerous anywhere snow and ice are common.  So that adds $800+ to the cost.

The low profile tires are wonderful on smooth roads, anything less though is torture.

Go to the US Toyota site and see the difference in the option packages being offered.  No need to get a sunroof,etc just to get ABS brakes (that was 2008 when I bought mine.)  That made it a $4,000 option to pick up ABS.   The Cdn dealers are just greedy.   

I'll be looking long and hard at Hyundai when I get my next car.