Author Topic: Mustang EcoBoost Manual  (Read 25345 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Mustang EcoBoost Manual
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2015, 03:31:11 pm »
I checked the CR reliability for the 2.0L in the Fusion and Focus ST, which are more closely related to the 2.3 in the Mustang. Both engines are "much better than average" according to CR.

So, I'll stick with those engines being pretty reliable.

You can find issues with pretty much anything sold by doing internet searches. The only way to filter the signal to noise ratio is by looking at something like Consumer Reports, or JD Powers. Even then, it's self reported information, so problems tend to be amplified. Happy consumers aren't as motivated to report, as pissed off consumers.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:33:02 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2015, 03:33:42 pm »
Was curious how much more you have to pay to get the V8.

EcoBoost Performance Package: $33,099
GT Performance Package: $42,799

That's a huge difference. Almost $10k! And I think they are otherwise very similarly equipped.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2015, 03:34:12 pm »
C'mon Man.  A wiper issue v.s. an engine failure.  Which is worse.

But was it one engine, ten, 100.....thats the thing, in a mass production scheme a handful of failures among millions of products that have no issues is not really concerning. As Sir O said, broken valves will kill an engine and if that wiper motor starts on fire in an attached garage, thats a serious problem....again though, 1 or couple of hundred thousand issues.

He said that the Ecoboost motors had been around for 6 years and were reliable.

He was wrong.  And now he wants to talk about Corollas (apart from the Nürburgring version).  I get it - all cars have issues and recalls exist and I never said Corollas or Tundras were reliable.  But his comment about the Ecoboost motors being reliable is factually incorrect.

I haven't heard of any other issues except for that intercooler problem on them either. Anyways, I don't know, CR says they are fairly reliable, I would have no reason to doubt them.
Lighten up Francis.....

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2015, 03:38:43 pm »
C'mon Man.  A wiper issue v.s. an engine failure.  Which is worse.

But was it one engine, ten, 100.....thats the thing, in a mass production scheme a handful of failures among millions of products that have no issues is not really concerning. As Sir O said, broken valves will kill an engine and if that wiper motor starts on fire in an attached garage, thats a serious problem....again though, 1 or couple of hundred thousand issues.

He said that the Ecoboost motors had been around for 6 years and were reliable.

He was wrong.  And now he wants to talk about Corollas (apart from the Nürburgring version).  I get it - all cars have issues and recalls exist and I never said Corollas or Tundras were reliable.  But his comment about the Ecoboost motors being reliable is factually incorrect.

Actually CR data backs up my claim. The Ecoboost engines in the F150, Focus ST, Fusion have been either better than average, or much better than average as far as reliability.
Data for the Flex and Taurus SHO is pretty spotty, but the most recent years, they are also much better than average.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2015, 03:46:12 pm »
I checked the CR reliability for the 2.0L in the Fusion and Focus ST, which are more closely related to the 2.3 in the Mustang. Both engines are "much better than average" according to CR.

So, I'll stick with those engines being pretty reliable.

You can find issues with pretty much anything sold by doing internet searches. The only way to filter the signal to noise ratio is by looking at something like Consumer Reports, or JD Powers. Even then, it's self reported information, so problems tend to be amplified. Happy consumers aren't as motivated to report, as pissed off consumers.

JD Power 3 year dependability survey (which can be skewed easily) had Ford at 188 problems per 100 vehicles compared to the industry average of 147.

Yes, sorry, I guess those engines are pretty reliable:  http://partsblog.olathetoyota.com/4383/ford-sued-ecoboost-problems/

You don't buy a brand, you buy a model of a particular brand. For the Fusion, it's predicted reliability is "better than most".

Also, that link from a Toyota blog is just reiterating the same suit that was addressed by the NHTSA about condensate in the intercooler. It's only an issue if you don't get it fixed.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 05:46:02 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2015, 05:29:25 pm »
IIRC Ecoboosts use a sensor for fuel octane rating to run different fuel maps, in which case it isn't going to be knocking either.

Ford uses what every other manufacturer installs in all their motors; knock sensors.  Here is how it works.  :)  The motor starts "knocking" due to, in this instance, lower than needed octane, the knock sensor picks this up and detunes the motor by retarding the timing.

However, the motor is always in and out of knock because the knock sensors are constantly been switched on and off.  BMW advises owners that use of 87 octane is only a last resort/temporary situation.

You will see no signage on an Ecoboost indicating that the motor is designed for 93 octane.  It's such BS.

Everybody knows how knock sensor work.  ::)

I'll let you in on a little secret. Every car runs so lean now, that every car will be hitting the bounds one way or the other due to air moisture content or the lack thereof, altitude and temperature.

Every brochure that quotes the HP and torque figures has a note that specifies "on 93 octane fuel" and the owners manual states that 93 octane is recommended for maximum performance.

You're just jealous that the most exciting announcement from Toyota lately is the Corolla Nürburgring edition.
  :rofl2:

An new best post of 2015  :rofl2:

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2015, 07:20:14 pm »
Ya, if one has the $$$ that V8 is great.  No question.  Oddly, Ford uses the same transmission as the V6.   :think:

Being a member of peasant class, I'm finding the V6 vert, 6 manual, with 51A (18s plus P/seat) and 3:55 rear LSD pricing so reasonable.  $1000 Costco rebate/incentive currently.  $31,600.  with $1000 dealer discount excluding HST.   0%/60 even.  I dunno.  :shuffle:

You could put 255s on the rear and save the stock 235s for the next set of fronts.  You could easily install a Steeda rear sway bar and better bushings and finally this

http://www.cjponyparts.com/blowfish-racing-manual-shifter-support-bracket-2015/p/MSSB1/

all for $1K

$31k for a 300hp convertible with a proper manual transmission and rear wheel drive is a great deal.....I didn't think you could get lower gears or an LSD on the V6.

All Mustangs come with a clutch style LSD which is critical for snow if applicable.  Standard ratio is in the low 3's.  The GT  (ONLY with the PP) gets the Torsen either 3:73 or 3:55

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Mustang EcoBoost Manual
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2015, 09:59:13 pm »

Ecoboosts have been around 6 years now. So far they have been reliable. No reason why this one would be any different.

Wait, what?

http://www.consumerclasslawyersblog.com/2014/09/09/ford-ecoboost/

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1OPRB_enCA586CA586&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ecoboost%20motor%20failures

You should read your link:

After receiving several hundred complaints relating to Ford’s F-150 trucks equipped with an EcoBoost engine suddenly and unexpectedly shuddering, shaking violently, stumbling, misfiring, rapidly losing power, or going into limp mode while a driver is operating the vehicle, the NHTSA launched an investigation. Tests conducted as a result of that investigation traced the problem to condensation in the intercooler. That condensation can result in water being pulled into the engine, which can cause cylinders to misfire. The NHTSA found that a proposed fix by Ford corrected the problem in the F-150s.

You should read the second link sent.  Use some Google Fu on the failures of these motors as I am not going to do it for you.  You might learn a thing or two given you said that the motors "have been reliable."

Hey I have one of these motors and have had 0 issues so far....would definitely buy again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2015, 12:25:39 pm »
My BIL's dad bought a new ecoboost F150 (he's a ford) and hates the ecoboost. Horrible fuel economy based on what he was promised/expecting and lots of issues.

Don't have an angle on this debate, just passing along the only personal experience I have.

N of 1, but certainly those arguments against the F150 have been a common refrain on this forum (and automotive chatter in general). My question is, are some buyers unhappy because of the EcoBoost's "issues" (reliability, AP's shudder troubles, etc.).  Or are they unhappy because Ford oversold the benefits (primarily fuel economy benefits), but the engine underdelivers? 

I wonder if the EcoBoost economy ratings were closer to what people can reasonably expect to achieve, would they still complain about the engine?  It seems pretty obvious to us on the forum, if you use a boosted engine to produce V8+ HP/TQ (drive hard, heavy towing, etc.), you're gonna get V8+ fuel economy...but are most consumers aware of that?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2015, 12:28:41 pm »
The whole idea of V8 power and V6 fuel economy intrigued me....but, Audi tried that with their I5 many years ago and it didn't have the power of an 6 cylinder nor did it get nearly as good of mileage as a 4 banger. What Sask said....if its making the same power as a V8, its working hard, therefore it will use a lot of fuel.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2015, 04:46:31 pm »
I must be getting old...someone please explain to me why fuel economy get peoples Lu Lu's in a knot when buying a sports car?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Mustang EcoBoost Manual
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2015, 07:15:18 pm »
I must be getting old...someone please explain to me why fuel economy get peoples Lu Lu's in a knot when buying a sports car?

I'm confused about that as well.....

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2015, 08:16:13 pm »

Indeed. If I'm in the market for a Mustang it sure as hell is not going to be a turbo 4. Its got to be V8 or bust.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!