Author Topic: 08 WRX - Water Pump took out the engine  (Read 5774 times)

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
Re: 08 WRX - Water Pump took out the engine
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 10:49:20 pm »
Found an 08 WRX engine and turbo at the wreckers.
$4400 for the pair, 129K km which is right about the same millage as what my car has.

I'm pretty much just saving on labor.
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 11:33:03 pm »
Found an 08 WRX engine and turbo at the wreckers.
$4400 for the pair, 129K km which is right about the same millage as what my car has.

I'm pretty much just saving on labor.

So that price is R/R'd?

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 10:58:31 am »
It comes with a 60 day warranty and the mechanic will do a compression test when they get it.
They will be doing the timing belt before it goes in.
I have asked about the water pump and they say it is not usually replaced (ever) I guess the risk is that a new one could fail the same as a used one, so they just inspect it.
Still think I'm going to have it replaced.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 11:04:05 am by Zombie »

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 11:27:08 am »
Sorry to hear of your troubles, definitely not fun :(

I am not sure where you're located, or who you're sourcing the engine from; but around here most of the major wrecking yards will offer an extended warranty on major components for a nominal cost (couple hundred bucks depending on the total cost of the component). I bought a Mercedes differential from Standard Auto a few years back and while I can't recall exactly what I paid, for a reasonable cost they extended the typical 60 day warranty to a 3-year xx,xxxkm (sorry, don't recall the km term) warranty.

Now, the warranty only covers the part, not the labour, and if you did claim the warranty they would either source you a comparable component to replace it or refund your original purchase price.....Might be worth it in your case.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 11:32:20 am »
It comes with a 60 day warranty and the mechanic will do a compression test when they get it.
They will be doing the timing belt before it goes in.
I have asked about the water pump and they say it is not usually replaced (ever) I guess the risk is that a new one could fail the same as a used one, so they just inspect it.
Still think I'm going to have it replaced.

I hope it isn't from Hotch's Auto Parts.  The 3.0 flat-six I bought from them lasted two days longer than the warranty.  It was junk, looked like the previous owner had never changed the oil and the insides looked like they were covered in shipping grease.  It seized up solid and Hotch's could care less, didn't want to even talk to me about it.  YMMV
Mr Pickypants

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
08 WRX - Water Pump took out the engine
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 12:33:38 pm »
The first time I has a timing belt done at a Subaru dealer they insisted that the water pump is not required. WTF?  That thing is seriously buried in there. Idiots. So I bet a lot of people that have it done at dealers don't have the pump changed.

Any car I've ever owned that has a belt driven water pump gets the pump changed. Pumps are usually about a hundred bucks, and so why not?

I do wish the Highlander had a chain driven valve train. I changed the water pump in the Corolla - super easy job. Access to the engine accessories is so simple on that engine. Not so the V-6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2015, 01:08:43 pm »
Had this happen with a Volvo 740. Do not attempt to do mechanical work on the street late at night with limited lighting.The price of youth and vigor.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 10:24:41 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2015, 11:39:51 am »
So...stupid question, but did someone explain the difference between an interference and a non-interference engine?

If the timing belt/chain fails in an interference engine, the uncontrolled valves will come into contact with the pistons leading to possibly catastrophic damage. With a non-interference engine, the out of control valves will not contact the pistons.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2015, 11:42:16 am »
So...stupid question, but did someone explain the difference between an interference and a non-interference engine?

If the timing belt/chain fails in an interference engine, the uncontrolled valves will come into contact with the pistons leading to possibly catastrophic damage. With a non-interference engine, the out of control valves will not contact the pistons.

Damn, had this happen also to a 1987 VW 16V Sirocco worst of all days before the timing belt was booked to get replaced. Valves got bent. Was cheaper to replace top half from wreckers.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 04:27:37 pm by redman »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2015, 12:09:34 pm »
We bent a valve in our Neon chump car.  Pulled the head, replaced and lapped the valve and that cylinder now has the best compression of them all.  Still not sure how that one valve was bent.

Replacing soon with a 2.4L that is non-interference.