Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES  (Read 85864 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES
« Reply #300 on: December 17, 2013, 10:08:34 am »
the very definition of a penalty box, yuck.

Yes it is cheap, so is McDonalds. Yes, it might get ok fuel economy, but it has absolutely no power. You need power to be safe on Canadian roads - at least 100hp. That way you can get out of a situation if you need to, or pass a truck, etc.

Save money for a few more months, and afford a real car.

Right. That's why the accident rate for smart drivers is so high. Oh wait, it isn't.

I drove an 80hp Tercel for 10 years without incident, and my sister drove a 55hp Rabbit diesel, also without incident.
I hear what you are saying, but it doesn't change the fact that if you wanted to merge on the highway, you would be hard pressed to get up to 80, let alone 100, by the time you got to the end of the entry lane. That is dangerous in my books. Personal preference, but I prefer cars to have at least enough power to get up to highway speed by the end of an onramp lane. That means about 10 seconds.

I actively steer people away from the Spark in my showroom due to this fact. Tried merging with it once, scared the crap out of me. All was fine, but that kind of worry should not enter a driver's mind as they are merging onto a busy highway. Or turning left, crossing two lanes of traffic on a 80km/h road where people usually go 100 - right outside our dealership - is a nightmare and there have been a few close calls with these cars not getting up to speed and almost being rear ended.

I love moderately powered quick little cars, drove a standard MINI and a Protégé we had for years, had like 98hp all told. It was enough, due to the cars light weight, to be adequate.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #301 on: December 17, 2013, 10:19:47 am »
I had a pdf of a traffic study done to measure how quickly people merge onto the highway. The average time was 16-17 seconds IIRC.

I wish I could find it, but I think it was lost on one of my old PCs.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #302 on: December 17, 2013, 10:22:49 am »

Yes it is cheap, so is McDonalds. Yes, it might get ok fuel economy, but it has absolutely no power. You need power to be safe on Canadian roads - at least 100hp. That way you can get out of a situation if you need to, or pass a truck, etc.

I get stuck behind all sorts of degenerates driving 250-400hp cars/trucks/minivans/SUVs that will not reach a safe speed to merge onto the highway or when they turn left just oh so ever so slowly move their stupid a$$es across the intersection. I bet you all those Sparks are slushboxes, thats the problem, to fully take a advantage of a car with a little more horsepower than a Princess Auto log splitter, you need to row your own gears, the autos just sap too much power from little cars like this but the vast unwashed masses do not get this. I betcha I could drive one of these, in the city, and never want for more power.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 17, 2013, 10:33:45 am »

I get stuck behind all sorts of degenerates driving 250-400hp cars/trucks/minivans/SUVs that will not reach a safe speed to merge onto the highway or when they turn left just oh so ever so slowly move their stupid a$$es across the intersection. I bet you all those Sparks are slushboxes, thats the problem, to fully take a advantage of a car with a little more horsepower than a Princess Auto log splitter, you need to row your own gears, the autos just sap too much power from little cars like this but the vast unwashed masses do not get this. I betcha I could drive one of these, in the city, and never want for more power.
too true, too true. Have seen this myself many times. Got stuck behind a Corvette, a GT-R, and a few other very powerful cars with braindead drivers

Yes, these cars are city cars. And they are good at it. But if you do any open road or highway driving, go half a class upwards, save a few pennies, and get a hatchback. Not even a size up, just more power. Fiat 500 has 100hp, MINI 120 or so, Mazda2 100hp, etc. 74hp is not enough to get out of your own way in a timely fashion...

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #304 on: December 17, 2013, 10:38:04 am »
saw a couple of reviews and they both said 0-100kmph in 11.7 seconds

TopGear wasn't impressed http://www.topgear.com/uk/mitsubishi/mirage/road-test/driven

This is Mitsubishi's new bargain-basement supermini, and it's truly, profoundly terrible. The steering is slow and vague. It rolls extensively. Grip levels are non-existent. Every lump and ruffle in the road is transmitted directly to your backside. It's inexcusably noisy. Hell, there's so much slack in the steering that you can't tell which way the wheels are pointing...

Things don't improve elsewhere. Admittedly, there is a lot of kit - electric windows, USB connection, climate control and keyless entry are standard on our top-spec 3 - but they don't disguise the irredeemably cheap fabrics or brittle-feeling plastics. The hard, unsculpted seats look and feel like they've been lifted straight out of a circa-1991 Peugeot 106, and the headlining's so thin, you could probably read through it.

and they finished up with:

The verdict
Expensive, slow, horrid to drive and worse than its rivals. A mass of metal without sense or relish
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 10:39:57 am by conwelpic »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 17, 2013, 10:43:27 am »

too true, too true. Have seen this myself many times. Got stuck behind a Corvette, a GT-R, and a few other very powerful cars with braindead drivers

Yes, these cars are city cars. And they are good at it. But if you do any open road or highway driving, go half a class upwards, save a few pennies, and get a hatchback. Not even a size up, just more power. Fiat 500 has 100hp, MINI 120 or so, Mazda2 100hp, etc. 74hp is not enough to get out of your own way in a timely fashion...

Much like the Smart, this is a city car....and actually, Id much rather take this down the highway than a Smart. I dont know, if I was commuting into downtown everyday (no, I dont do public transport) I would definitly have a little sh!tbox of this size. Easy to park, easy to maneuver, burn little fuel, I can take a few coworkers out to lunch and its cheap. Think about it, you can drive this everyday and then have a real car for the weekend, have this for the daily grind and then have a 400+ monster in the garage for when you need to unwind. This totally makes sense to me.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 17, 2013, 10:46:50 am »
Much like the Smart, this is a city car....and actually, Id much rather take this down the highway than a Smart. I dont know, if I was commuting into downtown everyday (no, I dont do public transport) I would definitly have a little sh!tbox of this size. Easy to park, easy to maneuver, burn little fuel, I can take a few coworkers out to lunch and its cheap. Think about it, you can drive this everyday and then have a real car for the weekend, have this for the daily grind and then have a 400+ monster in the garage for when you need to unwind. This totally makes sense to me.

For the money you are going to spend on this "little sh!tbox", why not pay more for gas and drive the 400+ monster year round? Put a good set of rubber on it and save on parking space. At least you won't have to come up with a lousy excuse every time that the "real" car is hybernating.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 17, 2013, 10:51:12 am »

For the money you are going to spend on this "little sh!tbox", why not pay more for gas and drive the 400+ monster year round? Put a good set of rubber on it and save on parking space. At least you won't have to come up with a lousy excuse every time that the "real" car is hybernating.

Because while you might have been able to get some snow tires for a Corvette, the last few weeks you would have torn the ever loving guts out of her on our roads. Really, why would you want to destroy your good car driving it in winter, thats the whole point of daily drivers.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 17, 2013, 11:07:39 am »

Fiat 500 2350lbs
Mini 2535lbs
Mazda2 2306lbs
Mirage 1863lbs

It only adds up to a couple of extra lbs per hp.

Lots of European cars come with even lower hp ratings than this. The base Fiesta has a 1.2L, 60ps engine. The TwinAir 500 has 5 more hp, but almost 500 more pounds to lug around. On the supposedly faster roads of Europe they seem to manage fine.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:10:03 am by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 17, 2013, 11:34:03 am »

Fiat 500 2350lbs
Mini 2535lbs
Mazda2 2306lbs
Mirage 1863lbs

It only adds up to a couple of extra lbs per hp.

Lots of European cars come with even lower hp ratings than this. The base Fiesta has a 1.2L, 60ps engine. The TwinAir 500 has 5 more hp, but almost 500 more pounds to lug around. On the supposedly faster roads of Europe they seem to manage fine.
they have small engines for a reason, as you know. We are not so encumbered in our country by CO2 taxes, engine taxes, etc. except the gas guzzler tax, which does not really apply to all but the supercar segment.

just a personal opinion, in the end, but I think 100hp should be a minimum for vehicles in order to safely get up to speed on today's roads with 300hp minivans...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 17, 2013, 11:37:46 am »
yeah, but when the minivan is being operated by some texting, distracted dunderhead, then who cares if its got 300 or 95hp?? All Im saying, for the city conditions I drive in, this thing would be more than good enoug.....if I didnt have to use the truck at work.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #311 on: December 17, 2013, 11:48:22 am »
I managed to get a 50hp Chevy Sprint up to 140km/h up a hill, I'm sure the Mirage will do just fine.

I rarely use all 155 of my car's horses. I'd probably have to redline the Mirage what I can do at 4,000 rpm with the 3 but eh.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 17, 2013, 11:49:29 am »
they have small engines for a reason, as you know. We are not so encumbered in our country by CO2 taxes, engine taxes, etc. except the gas guzzler tax, which does not really apply to all but the supercar segment.

just a personal opinion, in the end, but I think 100hp should be a minimum for vehicles in order to safely get up to speed on today's roads with 300hp minivans...

Why they choose a small engine is really not germane to the conversation. They do use low hp cars on the same roads as 911s and AMG Benzs without carnage.

100hp is just a number. If it's in a car that's 500lbs heavier, there's not much gain for the extra power. Most people do not accelerate onto the highway foot to the floor, as the study said, the average is in the 16-17 second range. The Mirage can do it in 10-11 seconds, so keeping up with traffic isn't an issue. If some :censor: rides your bumper in a 74hp car, he's just as likely to do it if you were driving a 300hp minivan.

Properly designed on-ramps are ~360m (1200ft). Even the little Mitsu wouldn't have an issue hitting the speed limit in that distance.

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 17, 2013, 12:30:34 pm »
Interestingly there are well over THREE HUNDRED comments about this little Mitsubishi. Most I've seen of any vehicle in a while.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #314 on: December 17, 2013, 12:44:05 pm »
yeah.. why did this get a bump in the test drive section? it shouldn't show up on the front page of autos.ca... as 15 pages can tell you, we already kicked the crap out of this dead horse...

i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 17, 2013, 12:53:01 pm »

Because while you might have been able to get some snow tires for a Corvette, the last few weeks you would have torn the ever loving guts out of her on our roads. Really, why would you want to destroy your good car driving it in winter, thats the whole point of daily drivers.

If you can afford a new Vette and not drive it in the winter, there is NO WAY in he11 you will be driving a sh1tbox like this, especially in the winter when the chances of a collision are much much higher than in the summer. You will be driving a Yukon. That's the whole point of working hard and making good money. You don't penalize yourself, you reward yourself.
I am speaking for myself of course. ;)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 17, 2013, 12:57:59 pm »

If you can afford a new Vette and not drive it in the winter, there is NO WAY in he11 you will be driving a sh1tbox like this, especially in the winter when the chances of a collision are much much higher than in the summer. You will be driving a Yukon. That's the whole point of working hard and making good money. You don't penalize yourself, you reward yourself.

Yeah, but there are the hippy types who see something like a Yukon as the devil that runs on sliced dolphin and baby whales.....Im being completely honest, if I had a horrid drive into downtown anywhere, I would have one of these, I would hate to ruin a perfectly good car in bumper to bumper traffic.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 17, 2013, 02:05:12 pm »

Yeah, but there are the hippy types who see something like a Yukon as the devil that runs on sliced dolphin and baby whales.....Im being completely honest, if I had a horrid drive into downtown anywhere, I would have one of these, I would hate to ruin a perfectly good car in bumper to bumper traffic.

:hello: Me and Lady O did not like driving or the fuel economy of the Outback in the city where we do 90% or our driving. We much rather the XV in town.
We would never get a tank like a Yukon for what we do.

If we needed a second car, and lived in a place that actually knew how to plow, I'd be looking at all the city cars, this included.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 17, 2013, 03:14:37 pm »
Amazing number of responses for what is just a basic entry level sub compact. 

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #319 on: December 22, 2013, 02:21:59 pm »
I had a pdf of a traffic study done to measure how quickly people merge onto the highway. The average time was 16-17 seconds IIRC.

I wish I could find it, but I think it was lost on one of my old PCs.

But if you want to make the highways with a faster limit speed do you not need to improve the acceleration time?
Say if I want the highway speed limit to be 150kph and having the same acceleration ramp length.

Of course there might be other factors as well.

And if the Spark/Mirage can only accelerate at 15 seconds (assuming just the driver), what would its fastest possible acceleration time be when it is fully loaded with passengers and cargo?

And carrying-on, I hate those drivers that stop near the end of the acceleration ramp;
Wouldn't a faster acceleration car be safer in that scenario?