Author Topic: careless inconsiderate imbecile scratches my new car  (Read 6155 times)

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
careless inconsiderate imbecile scratches my new car
« on: June 29, 2015, 02:28:17 pm »
So I was parked on the street well within the lines of an outlined parking spot, far, far from home on Beacon St. in Boston. And when I came back to my car, I noticed the nasty scratch on my rear bumper.  :o

I looked at the car parked behind and see a plate from my home area and paint from my car on the plate mounting bolt. Fack! The careless inconsiderate imbecile bumped my car, looks like two times, when he was parking and didn't even notice that he damaged it!!!

I called police (not emergency) to get a report made. I was told that they're too busy and may take a long time before anyone shows up and that the best thing to do is to take pictures and go to a reporting center. I did exactly that. At the reporting center, they asked me if I witnessed the event. I said no, but there is evidence in the pictures that I took that points to the culprit vehicle. They say, that's for your insurance company, you didn't witness it, so it's an unknown culprit. They didn't want to look at my pictures even. Whaaaat ??? So, the careless fack gets away with it...  >:( >:(

I had an estimate for repair done this morning, $300... I am going to do it. And I was thinking about paying for it out of pocket, no insurance claim.

Anyone know what chance I might have recovering my damages from the culprit here? Small claims court? Or should I go through insurance and get them to go after him? I think my deductible is $250.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: careless inconsiderate imbecile scratches my new car
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 02:30:49 pm »
If you have his plate....I would try to go through insurance.....then again, for $300, I don't know whether its worth the hassle.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 02:47:17 pm »
Not much you can do IMO. In that situation I would have reciprocated with damage of equal value if it makes you feel better  :)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 02:52:41 pm »
Is that metal under the scratch on your bumper? Sure looks like it, but I thought all bumpers were plastic these days? ???

I'd call up your insurance company and see what they say. If the pictures can prove it's entirely the other guy's fault, then I don't think you'd even pay the deductible. For sure I would at least make a call before paying out of pocket.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 03:04:35 pm »
Wait, you drove all the way to Boston only to get hit by a guy from Ottawa?  What are the odds.

For $300 I would probably pay and move on to avoid any insurance implications (assuming on some level there would be).
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 03:17:10 pm »
It's a plastic bumper cover, the real metal bumper is under it. The plastic looks grayish black, you know how plastic changes color when deformed, I think this is what happened here.

I don't know what my pictures can prove. I think nothing, as the other person could claim that they did not bump my car but that I backed into their car. It's unlikely given that I have a reverse camera and I am careful because I don't want to scratch my new car, but it is plausible and I think it would be a case of my word against his, if he does not fess up.

As far as causing damage to his car, I was angry and the thought did cross my mind, but thought better of it. Though, I didn't know at the time that the police would care so little about it. Also, my doing something to his car would be intentional. Him doing damage to my car is, I hope, not intentional, just careless. Or maybe he hates Quebecers and knew that he can get away with it...

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 03:20:17 pm »
Not much you can do IMO. In that situation I would have reciprocated with damage of equal value if it makes you feel better  :)

LOL....

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 03:33:04 pm »
If it was me, I would repair it out of pocket but at the same time I'd try to contact the owner to at least make them aware of what happened. Who knows, you might get someone respectable who would offer to participate in the repair cost or cover it completely. Not sure how you'd get contact info though...

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 03:54:38 pm »

LOL....

Fantastic gif as always...
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 11:28:23 pm »
It's a plastic bumper cover, the real metal bumper is under it. The plastic looks grayish black, you know how plastic changes color when deformed, I think this is what happened here.

I don't know what my pictures can prove. I think nothing, as the other person could claim that they did not bump my car but that I backed into their car. It's unlikely given that I have a reverse camera and I am careful because I don't want to scratch my new car, but it is plausible and I think it would be a case of my word against his, if he does not fess up.

As far as causing damage to his car, I was angry and the thought did cross my mind, but thought better of it. Though, I didn't know at the time that the police would care so little about it. Also, my doing something to his car would be intentional. Him doing damage to my car is, I hope, not intentional, just careless. Or maybe he hates Quebecers and knew that he can get away with it...

Would be a shame if one dark night his moon roof were to hit a perfectly stationary brick...  >:(
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.