Author Topic: Preview: 2015 Volkswagen Golf R  (Read 26727 times)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
Re: Preview: 2015 Volkswagen Golf R
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 08:22:59 pm »
This looks like an excellent all around package.   Would certainly consider as a future replacement to my WRX.  Any word on what the availability will be like in Canada?  Sounds like more than the last gen, but will it still be fairly limited??

Also how is the AWD system in this thing?  I recall some less than glowing reviews of the previous gen Golf R's performance and that it really didn't feel much sportier than the GTI.   Any experience from the reviewers here??

On paper, I'm very interested.

I really, really liked the outgoing Golf R.  It's fun, decently stylish, practical and feels waaay more upscale than any Impreza-based machine.  The thing is, the regular GTI checks all those boxes too and cost considerably less.  As much as I liked the R, as others have said, it didn't feel THAT much quicker than a GTI -- certainly not enough to warrant the mucho extra bucks. 

This new car looks to be a greater step up in performance.  I'll echo the "if the pricing is in line.." sentiments...
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 08:27:44 pm »
This looks like an excellent all around package.   Would certainly consider as a future replacement to my WRX.  Any word on what the availability will be like in Canada?  Sounds like more than the last gen, but will it still be fairly limited??

Also how is the AWD system in this thing?  I recall some less than glowing reviews of the previous gen Golf R's performance and that it really didn't feel much sportier than the GTI.   Any experience from the reviewers here??

I really, really liked the outgoing Golf R.  It's fun, decently stylish, practical and feels waaay more upscale than any Impreza-based machine.  The thing is, the regular GTI checks all those boxes too and cost considerably less.  As much as I liked the R, as others have said, it didn't feel THAT much quicker than a GTI -- certainly not enough to warrant the mucho extra bucks. 

This new car looks to be a greater step up in performance.  I'll echo the "if the pricing is in line.." sentiments...

I'm a bit different in my opinion.  I didn't think the Golf R was worth the premium over a WRX merely because of the nice interior.  The performance wasn't there to justify the cost.

I guess you have to be particular about what you're buying and what your needs are.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 08:31:47 pm »

I'm a bit different in my opinion.  I didn't think the Golf R was worth the premium over a WRX merely because of the nice interior.  The performance wasn't there to justify the cost.

I guess you have to be particular about what you're buying and what your needs are.

Nope, I think we're of the same opinion.  Previous Golf R was not worth the money (despite its much nicer interior than WRX).  Plus, the promise (or at least expectation) of greater reliability from the Subie makes it wiser choice.  Well, as long as there was a hatchback.. now it's all moot.   :-\

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 08:40:07 pm »
they've done everything right on this car.  it's substantially lighter, stiffer, more hp, more mpg....looks great.  they didn't kill the manual transmission......   five thumbs up!!   

i also think this car looks great.......holy crow.....what happened to me?   i've been like mikey lately.  i don't like anything.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34wJt3pRY0w

OK what happened with the s3 sportback or sedan?  No manual??? 

Was at Detroit 2 days ago. I really like the new R too. Especially with the sweet motor from the S3. That would justify the price premium over the GTI, imo.

For now, the R's will continue to be made in Wolfsburg. The new Mexican plant does not have the ability to build 4-motion yet, but will acquire it later.

Latest I heard is that they will be available in Q1 of 2015.

Nice to hear that it will still be available as a five-door and with a manual transmission. I'm not so sure that it's worth the premium over a GTI, but will for sure be worth a look (and maybe a test drive) in a few years.

Last model R was only about 3-4 grand more then the similarly equipped GTI.  If it's the same difference this time around it will be worth it for the big bump in power and AWD being a bonus.

Yeah, it's the "similarly equipped" thing that is a problem for me. I don't even want leather, navi or a sunroof, so it sucks that I have to pay extra for that on a Golf R.

My current GTI is pretty much a base model and I expect I'd want a MKVII the same way, so I'd be looking at close to ten grand extra for the R.

Funny you say that Helidriver, because the Golf at Detroit I found the most interesting was the cheapest one. It was the US equivalent of a base model with the convenience package and the new 1.8 TSI engine. For a base model, it was elegantly appointed. And a much better value than the Mk6 base model.

And I found the seating position perfect, whereas I couldn't get as comfortable in the new GTI with electric seats. I looked for leather seats in my Mk6 because they are a somewhat different shape than the plaid ones and, for some reason, fit me better (the adjustment was different too). Otherwise, plaid would have been just fine with me.

I would take a Mk7 R in the cloth, manual seats too. But 99% sure they won't be sold that way. 

Offline Waterlooresident

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-165
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 01:13:25 am »
I read that the previous Golf R was sold out so quickly that buyers had to pre-order one in the 1980's, otherwise they were out of luck.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 01:23:16 am »
I read that the previous Golf R was sold out so quickly that buyers had to pre-order one in the 1980's, otherwise they were out of luck.

Correct. Limited production. Virtually all pre-sold.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2014, 05:20:53 am »
It was 2010.  I got an 'offer' to buy one of the 500 ( for Canada) as I had a GTI. Offer in this context meant a chance to get my deposit in first if I had called the dealer that morning and been ahead of the others...like trying to buy concert tickets.
In 2012 my local VW dealer had one of the last ones in the showroom..already sold of course.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Waterlooresident

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-165
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 08:15:33 pm »
On Saturday I talked to the manager of a local VW dealer here in Kitchener. I told him that I was interested in buying one of those new 2105 Golf R models, one with the automatic in it.  He told me that as far as he knows there is a HUGE LINEUP for it, and already sales managers are asking for $15,000 PLUS over the MSRP for that little hot hatch.
At first i thought he said Fifteen hundred, but then he said  "NO, 15 with three zeros at the end of that!"  He seemed sort of miffed that I as too poor or too stupid to understand that there is an insatiable demand for that car WAY ahead of time.

I thanked him for his time and then just walked away.  It's a nice car but I'm not going to be paying $55,000 for it, no way.

https://www.carcostcanada.com/news/10392/2015_VW_Golf_R/
Quote: "But you might want to put your first thousand down ahead of time, as this little super hatch won't exactly be collecting dust in the corner of your local dealer's lot."
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:17:30 pm by Waterlooresident »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 08:20:08 pm »

I thanked him for his time and then just walked away.  It's a nice car but I'm not going to be paying $55,000 for it, no way.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 08:27:54 pm »
I would have walked away as well.

I wonder if it's the same VW/Audi salesman I thought was an idiot. Same city.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 08:29:50 pm »
WTF...$15k over for a VW.... Never. That Sales Manager is a fack up. I got $1500 off for a 1/100 TT-RS FFS.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:38:16 pm by Snowman »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 08:44:37 pm »
On Saturday I talked to the manager of a local VW dealer here in Kitchener. I told him that I was interested in buying one of those new 2105 Golf R models, one with the automatic in it.

I don't know about you but I likely won't be alive by 2105. How's the forward visibility in these Golfs?

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2014, 08:56:30 pm »
Are dealers in Ontario allowed to charge over msrp? Just curious.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2014, 09:11:03 pm »
At first i thought he said Fifteen hundred, but then he said  "NO, 15 with three zeros at the end of that!"  He seemed sort of miffed that I as too poor or too stupid to understand that there is an insatiable demand for that car WAY ahead of time.

I bet his next move (if you stayed) would be talking to the boss/owner/manager to "convince" him to discount the markup by up to 10 grand, if you are willing to put down a cash deposit today. What a crook  :rofl2:  Call me when you've got one I can test drive and then we'll talk about the price!
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2014, 08:53:28 am »
Are dealers in Ontario allowed to charge over msrp? Just curious.

Why wouldn't they be?

The great part about this is that supposedly the new Golf R won't be produced in limited numbers – they will build all they can sell.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2014, 09:04:20 am »
He told me that as far as he knows there is a HUGE LINEUP for it, and already sales managers are asking for $15,000 PLUS over the MSRP for that little hot hatch.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

That should have been in the Friday funnies. Good luck selling any with that attitude.

If you are serious about getting one, I'm sure there is a more honest shop that will sell you one for MSRP.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2014, 10:44:32 am »
Anyone remember them selling "new Beatles" for over msrp?
Heck I remember them slapping "regional market adjustment" fees on PT Cruisers when they first came out.

That's the problem with people who need to be first.

15 K over? I'd probably just walk away and come back to show him my brand new Audi S4 that I could get for 3 k LESS at a starting price of 53k.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2014, 12:34:33 am »
Just noticed that the USA pricing is up for the new Golf R. Wonder when the CDN pricing is coming out?

USA$36,595 (w/DSG - manual coming later)
EPA 23 City / 30 Hwy

http://www.vw.com/models/golf-r/

Be one of the first 500 people to preorder the Golf R with DCC® Dynamic Chassis Control and Navigation, with a retail MSRP of $39,090.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2014, 12:37:08 am »
Also notice they have the e-Golf listed. Starts at $27,945 after $7,500 federal tax credit.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2014, 08:51:36 am »
CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - GOLF R v BMW M235i
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtOZNp6GOxI