Author Topic: picking up new car at dealer  (Read 3930 times)

Offline totally

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: honda
picking up new car at dealer
« on: July 29, 2016, 06:21:02 pm »
i just bought a new car at a dealership. i payed deposit and then came back to pick up the car.

then i found water stain all over the place, including under the hood (dirt on parts), and door rim after
i open the door.

also, some tinny scratch, not major but under the sun, i can see many shinny thin lines.

are these something i should be worried? what is the worse case scenario? 

can i still ask for another car after i pay the deposit? (i already sign a paper, but i guess i still need to sign more paper
after i pay the rest)

thanks.

Offline rocknuts

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
Re: picking up new car at dealer
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 08:31:54 pm »
Most likely swirls they caused from washing the car . They are thin light scratches and can only be corrected by polishing the paint. You don't have to accept delivery. They won't give you a new car most likely .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline totally

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 08:54:07 pm »
thanks!

that do you mean by "you don't have to accept delivery"? 

what can i do?

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 11:24:19 pm »
thanks!

that do you mean by "you don't have to accept delivery"? 

what can i do?

Simply refuse to accept the car, don't pay the, and don't take possession of the car until the car is as it should be ( clean no scratches etc). If you ordered a chair and showed up at the store to pick it up and take it home...and you showed up and the chair had a big rip in the seat would you take it? Of course not you agreed to buy a "perfect" chair. They need to give you a perfect chair.

Do NOT take that car off the lot. If they say oh we will fix the scratches just pick it up and bring it back in a week to get them polished say NO. They don't get paid or credit for the sale until you take delivery. Why they provide you with a "perfect" car then you pay them. If they can make it perfect by cleaning and polishing them fine. If they have to give you a different car that's their problem not yours.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 01:04:32 am »
from the scenario described. It sounds like the car is home already.  If this is the case.  I would bring it back, and ask what they can do to rectify the situation.  If nothing, have the car serviced somewhere else, take your business elsewhere.

Offline totally

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 04:13:04 pm »

Simply refuse to accept the car, don't pay the, and don't take possession of the car until the car is as it should be ( clean no scratches etc). If you ordered a chair and showed up at the store to pick it up and take it home...and you showed up and the chair had a big rip in the seat would you take it? Of course not you agreed to buy a "perfect" chair. They need to give you a perfect chair.

Do NOT take that car off the lot. If they say oh we will fix the scratches just pick it up and bring it back in a week to get them polished say NO. They don't get paid or credit for the sale until you take delivery. Why they provide you with a "perfect" car then you pay them. If they can make it perfect by cleaning and polishing them fine. If they have to give you a different car that's their problem not yours.

thanks!  i will not take the car before they fix it.

another thing is, since i already paid the $500 deposit (i shouldn't have paid the deposit before i take a look at the car
i am buying),  do i still have much leverage?  since they are making the $500 anyways ?

so do i still have "card" to play to make them have incentive to do a good job for me?  :) 

Offline totally

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 04:14:34 pm »
from the scenario described. It sounds like the car is home already.  If this is the case.  I would bring it back, and ask what they can do to rectify the situation.  If nothing, have the car serviced somewhere else, take your business elsewhere.

i didn't take the car home, i left it at the dealership:)

yeah, i can have the car serviced somewhere else, thanks.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 05:18:15 pm »
a deposit is always refundable unless very very specifically stated otherwise. even then, you can always argue to get it back if they haven't spent any money on the deal yet (ie. tinting the car, adding parts you asked for, etc.).

they would prefer to sell you a car... make them make you happy. (to a point... it's a used car. want new, you gotta pay to play)
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 06:39:12 pm »
I don't understand this at all.

1.   Has all of the paperwork been done and the registration forms handed over.

2.   Is it a new car from a new car dealership...does it have mileage on it and if so how much.

If you can't get satisfaction I believe there is procedure at the registration office called 'Failed Transaction' with paperwork to go with it. This will set the registration back to what it was I believe.

Offline totally

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 05:18:25 pm »
I don't understand this at all.

1.   Has all of the paperwork been done and the registration forms handed over.

2.   Is it a new car from a new car dealership...does it have mileage on it and if so how much.

If you can't get satisfaction I believe there is procedure at the registration office called 'Failed Transaction' with paperwork to go with it. This will set the registration back to what it was I believe.

1. we signed a paper when payed the deposit. it is like saying we agree to buy this car, but
    we didn't have registration form yet.

2. it is a new car from a new car dealership. it is under 20 kilometers.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 06:17:01 pm »
on a new car, i would hope the car is cleaned enough to make any minor scratches go away.

water stains... what is it you are referring to here? like, dirt on an engine cover? because that is just normal...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 06:30:02 pm »
on a new car, i would hope the car is cleaned enough to make any minor scratches go away.

water stains... what is it you are referring to here? like, dirt on an engine cover? because that is just normal...

I'm guessing it's swirl marks...either from using a cheap wash mitt..or cheap drying towel.

Car will need to be buffed.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 06:37:35 pm »
even then... you know how many times an unsold car gets washed? the number can vary... from none to one time. i would hope they aren't so bad that they get swirls after one wash on a new car that should at most have dirt from the transport on it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 06:53:36 pm »
even then... you know how many times an unsold car gets washed? the number can vary... from none to one time. i would hope they aren't so bad that they get swirls after one wash on a new car that should at most have dirt from the transport on it.

That dirt from a transport+poor technique/equipment is what causes the swirls.  I know of people who BEG the dealer to never wash their cars for this very reason.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 11:45:13 pm »
Ever wondered why your new car was parked in that shady area around the side of the showroom?  ;D
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 08:04:49 am »
The car may have been just driven to the dealership in question from another local dealer...with 20km on the clock. You can check how long it has been around on a lot from the date of manufacture on the door. Not a deal breaker if it is current model.