Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Lexus GS 450h; Day 1  (Read 5129 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Lexus GS 450h; Day 1
« on: December 12, 2012, 06:01:35 am »

James gets back into a luxurious Lexus hybrid, but this one has a bit of a sporty edge.
Read More...

Offline chamadarla

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +31/-67
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Pontiac
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Lexus GS 450h; Day 1
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 06:13:36 am »
Could you give a yank to the new and improved trunk release for us?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 07:00:03 am »
I love the day to day test drives.  But I hate it when it's a hybrid, especially a Lexus.  You just did a day to day on the ES 300 less than 2 weeks ago.  I guess Lexus really wants the free advertising.  I know you guys don't really get to choose the test vehicles you get.  But when you consider less than 5% of people buy hybrids, and all the extra attention they get, it just seems like they (car manufacturers) are forcing us to like these things. 

And you can tell I am not alone, if you look at the number of views a non hybrid car gets, it's over 3000 views on average, with the hybrids its less than 1/2, same as the comments, less than 1/2.  Guess I will have to get used to it, still waiting for the Toyota Sienna Hybrid.  Afterall, every car Toyota makes practically has a hybrid.  I can see it happening, as a van is used mostly in the city, so the fuel savings would be noticeable, in that space shuttle van...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Lexus GS 450h; Day 1
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:29:15 am »
Could you give a yank to the new and improved trunk release for us?
My tester doesn't have it.  Only available in the luxury package ;)
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 07:34:50 am by wing »

Offline philmcneal

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-12
  • Hypermiler Enthusiast & E-Store Owner
    • View Profile
    • Do you believe that a bidet can increase your quality of life?
  • Cars: 2004 Toyota Prius, Town and Country Minivan, Chrysler 200,
The best car is one that is cheap to operate. If you are curious about bidets please visit my web site on how they can improve your quality of life!

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 09:28:06 am »
I guess the 450h is one of those hybrids for the other folk who don't really care about saving money as the mitigating factor for getting a hybrid.
I take it they like the fact they look green and half to fill up less hassle, but for most people a 70K hybrid makes little to no sense.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 09:32:57 am »
Looking forward to the review. I'm getting a bit confused by Toyota/Lexus' strategy, there seems to be three models crammed into a relatively tight segment. Are the new Avalaon, ES and GS really all that different? Does RWD vs FWD matter in this segment?

I'm sure I'll find enlightenment over the next few days.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 09:34:38 am »
I guess the 450h is one of those hybrids for the other folk who don't really care about saving money as the mitigating factor for getting a hybrid.
I take it they like the fact they look green and half to fill up less hassle, but for most people a 70K hybrid makes little to no sense.

Come to think of it, there might be people who would be willing to pay handsomely for the opportunity to enjoy fewer gas stops.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 09:36:24 am »
Looking forward to the review. I'm getting a bit confused by Toyota/Lexus' strategy, there seems to be three models crammed into a relatively tight segment. Are the new Avalaon, ES and GS really all that different? Does RWD vs FWD matter in this segment?

3 very different cars despite their powertrain similarities. And 3 different packages ranging from 36k for the "base" Avalon that already includes NAV to 70k+ for the top of the line hybrid GS.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 09:42:25 am »
Just a comment about naming...Like the whole Lincoln MK-whatever thing I have trouble with the ES and GS. I can't for the life of me keep it straight in my head which is the Camry type FWD and which is the E class level car. It's strange because I have no trouble with Benz's B,C,E etc or BMW's 1,3,5,7 series. I wonder what it is that makes multiple letters harder to keep straight than a single letter or number? :-\
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 09:55:59 am »

3 very different cars despite their powertrain similarities. And 3 different packages ranging from 36k for the "base" Avalon that already includes NAV to 70k+ for the top of the line hybrid GS.
Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of what James said - at $52k the GS is pretty loaded. Load up an Avalon and spec out an ES for $52 and is the difference that great, for the target segment who is interested in a luxurious and comfortable ride primarily? Lexus used to be clearly the premium machine but the Avalon seems pretty impressive from reviews. I'll let the experts decide, haven't driven any of them.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 10:02:42 am »

Come to think of it, there might be people who would be willing to pay handsomely for the opportunity to enjoy fewer gas stops.

Depending where they live, they can always go to a full service fuel stop for a lot less money and still drive a premium ICE car.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 10:07:14 am »

Depending where they live, they can always go to a full service fuel stop for a lot less money and still drive a premium ICE car.

Yeah, but then they won't be "green" anymore  ;)

Offline chamadarla

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +31/-67
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Pontiac
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 10:49:53 am »
I love the day to day test drives.  But I hate it when it's a hybrid, especially a Lexus.  You just did a day to day on the ES 300 less than 2 weeks ago.  I guess Lexus really wants the free advertising.  I know you guys don't really get to choose the test vehicles you get.  But when you consider less than 5% of people buy hybrids, and all the extra attention they get, it just seems like they (car manufacturers) are forcing us to like these things. 

And you can tell I am not alone, if you look at the number of views a non hybrid car gets, it's over 3000 views on average, with the hybrids its less than 1/2, same as the comments, less than 1/2.  Guess I will have to get used to it, still waiting for the Toyota Sienna Hybrid.  Afterall, every car Toyota makes practically has a hybrid.  I can see it happening, as a van is used mostly in the city, so the fuel savings would be noticeable, in that space shuttle van...

Yep, you hit the nail on the head.  It's become very predictable when a Toyota/Lexus review is coming up. :sleep: :surrend:

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 11:34:15 am »
Just a comment about naming...Like the whole Lincoln MK-whatever thing I have trouble with the ES and GS. I can't for the life of me keep it straight in my head which is the Camry type FWD and which is the E class level car. It's strange because I have no trouble with Benz's B,C,E etc or BMW's 1,3,5,7 series. I wonder what it is that makes multiple letters harder to keep straight than a single letter or number? :-\

AGREED!  Here's hoping one luxury brand bucks the trend and goes back to ACTUAL names for their vehicles. 

The FGC (and Swedes), okay, they've got a LONG history of alphanumeric names (328, E-class, A4, V70, etc.) - though they too have broken any (logical) naming convention lately (shouldn't a 328 be a 320t?  Why does an S550 have a 4.7L turbo?)

The Japanese?  Lexus has always had alphanumeric names (LS, GS, etc.), so I'll let them slide, and I guess Infiniti did too.  But totally unoriginal!  And Acura - WTF is an RL? Or RLX?  You had so much brand equity with Legend and Integra, though it's pretty much all squandered by now.

And most egregiously, Cadillac and Lincoln - I realize they want to be compared to the other luxury players, but do their models HAVE to use an alphabet designation to do this?  STS? DTS? XTS? CTS? ATS? Seriously?  MKT? MKX? MKZ?  What's next - the Lincoln JVC? TSN? CBC? 

Northernridge

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 01:27:22 pm »

Maybe the Avalon and ES are kind of piled up but the GS stands reasonably apart. And, yes RWD matters in the segment to many.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 01:30:01 pm »
And most egregiously, Cadillac and Lincoln - I realize they want to be compared to the other luxury players, but do their models HAVE to use an alphabet designation to do this?  STS? DTS? XTS? CTS? ATS? Seriously?  MKT? MKX? MKZ?  What's next - the Lincoln JVC? TSN? CBC?
:rofl:
I made a concious effort twice to remeber the Lincoln designations but for the life of me I can't remember which one's which (MKT vs MKX which one is the sedan)

Northernridge

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 01:36:07 pm »
This is my segment and I don't care boo about the hybrids. My average 9.8/100l in the Berlin taxi makes me plenty happy.

One thing this forum has got me thinking since I've joined is that AWD is really not that big of a deal (was a must have for me previously). So, as I contemplate RWD my mind turns to thoughts of the E63, M5 etc. with good snow tires. My mind scrambles for making a few extra invoices so I can make an upgrade like that...not to a hybrid...FFS.

Northernridge

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 01:55:43 pm »
:rofl:
I made a concious effort twice to remeber the Lincoln designations but for the life of me I can't remember which one's which (MKT vs MKX which one is the sedan)

If they were good products you'd remember them. It has more to do with forgettable product than names.

And consistency over time. E and S (for Benz) have been around for a spell. Plus it's individual familiarity with a brand or segment. For me I've thought a lot about the Japanese GS and M (that's the Infiniti M) so they have specfiic meaning for me.

Offline easyrider

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 journey, 11 mazda 3
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 02:33:39 pm »
Bit of an ugly duckling that one! thankfully as you get older your eyesight deteriorates :o