Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo  (Read 11599 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
« on: July 30, 2012, 04:04:52 am »

The Veloster Turbo addresses James Bergeron's only complaint about this Hyundai compact: a lack of power.

Read More...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: First Drive: 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:35:31 am »
Seems like a very good bang for the buck.  It really could use an LSD.  Surprising that they didn't include it or have it as an option.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:50:03 am »
What about the ride quality and "planted" feel.  I think these were the knocks on the non-blown Veloster as well as its Elantra and Accent cousins.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 09:27:21 am »
Hyundai is first in listening to the cusomers! Hello Honda, is anybody there?

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 09:27:33 am »
 Man, I must be getting old..This looks like a car that has just been spray painted from an aerosol can in prime, awaiting a real paint job.
  Maybe I have to see it in person...Your comment on the high price of 18 inch tires for winter snows...How much more are they than 17s?
  My guess is not much more than 100/200 bucks a set...You're buying a splashy car, spending 26 grand on it, and you're going to downsize the tires so the car looks dowdy to save 100/200 bucks? This seems like nit-picking.  I really like this little car..It seems to have everything going for it, including gas mileage...room for 4...hatchback...really spiffy looking, great warranty... It seemed as though you were begrudging in your praise of this car....Thanks  Jack

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:42:49 am »
I don't understand why Hyundai could not make a 200 HP NA engine. Many have and I don't fully understand the logic of a turbo when 2.0 engines put out the same or more with good fuel economy. If I was car shopping in this range I would be stuck between a BRZ which is more of a sports car and a GTI which is more practical.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 09:53:57 am »
What a horrible colour.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 10:12:48 am »
I don't understand why Hyundai could not make a 200 HP NA engine. Many have and I don't fully understand the logic of a turbo when 2.0 engines put out the same or more with good fuel economy. If I was car shopping in this range I would be stuck between a BRZ which is more of a sports car and a GTI which is more practical.
they do make one, but the 2.4L is likely either too large or heavier/bigger than they want to put in this car...like the late 80's, Turbos are all the rage now...while i agree the 2.4L is a great engine, i can assure you the 1.6 Turbo has more "appeal" and is easier to market...i mean, why didn't Audi use a 3.5L NA V6 in your car?? :P
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 10:32:23 am »

I'd choose either of those over a Veloster - though I don't see the Veloster as a BR-Z competitor - for that, Hyundai has a pair of Genesis Coupes. 

The Veloster is a tough car for me to peg in terms of market segment.  I get it as an attractive option to a younger buyer looking for a stylish ride - the guy or gal that may find the GTI about as aesthetically appealing as a bar of soap.  But according to my Hyundai dealer, they sell a bunch of these things to older empty-nesters.  Go figure.  I'm not a likely candidate for a Veloster - but I think Hyundai will find plenty enough of them to make the car a success.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 11:31:45 am »
^^ agreed.

like the Cube and the Honda Element (when it was around), despite trying to sell them to the "younger generation", i see most of them driven by the very opposite...a coworker here owns a Juke...she is 45-50.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 11:36:17 am »
It's a welcome increase in HP, but the car is soooo overstyled inside and out.   The word class or any of it's derivitives would never enter a conversation about this vehicle.  I would take a GTI over it for that reason alone, although I realize young drivers will like the wow factor of such a radical design.  I would likely take a BR-Z over either as I prefer rear wheel drive and sports car looks in a vehicle with "sporty" pretentions. 

Northernridge

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 11:42:28 am »
^^ agreed.

like the Cube and the Honda Element (when it was around), despite trying to sell them to the "younger generation", i see most of them driven by the very opposite...a coworker here owns a Juke...she is 45-50.

Good point, It's surprising how often car makers get the demographic wrong for their own cars...so much for market research.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 11:57:14 am »
I would take a GTI over it for that reason alone, although I realize young drivers will like the wow factor of such a radical design. 

The radical design is one possible factor for the current sales success of the Veloster (I'm defining current sales success based on days to sale and inventory in stock, I don't know what the actual numbers are yet.  Hyundai can't seem to keep Velosters in stock, but it's still really early on - I'm not willing to call the Veloster an unabashed sales success yet, let's wait until the novelty wears off). 

However, if the Veloster Turbo does sell well into the future, I think the far more logical explanation will be is that young drivers appreciate the 5 - 10K savings versus a comparably-equipped GTI, and the radical design is a secondary factor (or even a detriment).  You can't overstate the importance of price/value in the Canadian marketplace, especially for lower price point vehicles.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 12:00:53 pm »
The Veloster is a tough car for me to peg in terms of market segment.  I get it as an attractive option to a younger buyer looking for a stylish ride - the guy or gal that may find the GTI about as aesthetically appealing as a bar of soap.  But according to my Hyundai dealer, they sell a bunch of these things to older empty-nesters.  Go figure.  I'm not a likely candidate for a Veloster - but I think Hyundai will find plenty enough of them to make the car a success.

Seems to be true based on what I saw on the weekend, anyway.  Was at Hyundai dealer on Saturday finalizing a deal on a Tucson, and they had 3 Veloster's parked with SOLD signs on them.

The Veloster does nothing for me -- much prefer the Genesis coupe and even the new Elantra GT (even though it's a 4 door, it has a coupe profile) that just came out.  Had a good look at one of those, very nice car, especially for the price.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 12:26:03 pm »
I think I prefer the look of the front end on the NA Veloster instead of the hexagonal grill on the turbo.  For a few $$$'s more I prefer the Genesis coupe over this.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 01:03:56 pm »
Seems to be true based on what I saw on the weekend, anyway.  Was at Hyundai dealer on Saturday finalizing a deal on a Tucson, and they had 3 Veloster's parked with SOLD signs on them.

The Veloster does nothing for me -- much prefer the Genesis coupe and even the new Elantra GT (even though it's a 4 door, it has a coupe profile) that just came out.  Had a good look at one of those, very nice car, especially for the price.

Same with my dealer.  They had no Elantra GTs at all though - all sold and gone - I was hoping to take a look when I was in for servicing last week.

So who's getting the Tucson?

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 01:29:50 pm »
I think I prefer the look of the front end on the NA Veloster instead of the hexagonal grill on the turbo.  For a few $$$'s more I prefer the Genesis coupe over this.

:iagree:  I think I would opt for a base Veloster (fuel economy, affordable) or a Genesis Coupe (performance).

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 01:39:07 pm »

I dont mind the looks, but the BRZ/FR-S, Genesis coupe and mustang V6 are way more my cup of tea for around the same money.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 02:24:28 pm »
Same with my dealer.  They had no Elantra GTs at all though - all sold and gone - I was hoping to take a look when I was in for servicing last week.

So who's getting the Tucson?

Tucson is for step-daughter.  Replacing her 2002 Protege 5 that is in terminal condition.
Started shopping for a 2012 since they have $4,000 off, but ended up with a very good deal on a 2013 GL with 0% financing for 72 months to boot.  Nobody else could touch that...

Cambridge dealer I was at had at least 6 Elantra GT's on the lot... very sharp looking (esp. in red) with a decent amount of room inside.

Offline MTD

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +9/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 11:54:18 pm »
Picked mine up today.

So far, I'm very impressed. The car is everything I expected. It's not a GTI or FRS, it's not a Speed3 or WRX. But, it is a great comparison to a Civic Si, or a fatter Mini Cooper. I've had both and they are an excellent comparison to the VT.

Steering, clutch and shifter are all very light. Great visibility. Plenty of room for my 6'1 height. Tons of fancy gizmos. Ive already used the 3rd door. It rides and drives excellent over the bumpy pavement even though it has the torsion beam and 18" wheels. Its much more composed then my '11 Elantra was. Pulls great through the gears and there is zero turbo lag.