Author Topic: First Drive: 2012 Hyundai Veloster  (Read 26773 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2012 Hyundai Veloster
« on: September 19, 2011, 04:04:31 am »

This three-door hatchback coupe, which starts at $19,000 offers a 'fresh take on affordable and fun transportation,' says Paul Williams.

Read More...

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: First Drive: 2012 Hyundai Veloster
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 07:21:30 am »
I think it's a great design and a great idea by Hyundai.  The price seems to be fairly good for what you get.  The big problem for me is that it just doesn't have enough power for my tastes.  Sure it will compete with the base mini, Fiat 500, and honda CRZ, but no way does it compete with the Scion TC.  I think what they should have done is at the very least offer it with the engine out of the Elantra, but a better option further would be the 2.0L GDI engine out of the new Kia Soul, that makes 160 Hp and would compete a lot better with the higher Hp coupes.  I'm really hoping the turbo version will match or beat the Mini turbo.

Offline vasyapirh

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 94 Lumina Z34, 90 Mazda 626, 92 Mazda Protege, 2004 Civic, 2013 MINI cooper, 2015 Caravan
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 07:46:10 am »
My short list:
                    1) Scion TC
                    2) Veloster

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:44:30 am »
That is seriously a fantastic looking hatch!  Also, talk about bang for your buck.  Virtually loaded for under $19k??  Wow!  I can see this doing extremely well for Hyundai, and I can only imagine that it's going to blow the CR-Z out of the water!
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

richink

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 08:48:05 am »
Finally!!! Although I am still holding on for the "casually mentioned" turbo version. Hyundai has gone so far as mentioning 208hp/195 lb-ft for it so I figure we're about a year away before seeing that beast. I figure that's the one to REALLY wait for.

I have seen a couple of these at dealers last week. What a great looking car sure to give it's competitors a run for their money. Fantastic value!

The writer's comments about the autobox doesn't carry weight with me. I've driven most of these "manu-matic" trannys with the exception of Porsche's PDK gearbox and none of them impress me. Even the much touted VW DSG unit never does exactly what I wanted it to. I say that if you want a stick shift, buy one.

Vasyapirh - go drive a TC. I for one was not impressed with it's roughness and overall unrefined nature.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 11:14:24 am »
I'd like to be a fly on the wall of the Japanese executives when they see what Hyundai is offering and at this price point. I'm sure the 2012 Scion FR-S / Toyota FT-86 / Subaru Coupe will be a decent car if rumors are true; but can they do it at around 19k ? Doubt it. Thanking Hyundai for wakening up the establishment and bringing back affordable cars to our market. (I recall shaking my head years back balking at what little the likes of Toyota was offering i.e. Matrix and the price they were asking). Glad the bubble finally broke !!!

I could see future engine availability in this car in order to make it compete with the likes of Mazda3. Either a turbo 1.6 or better yet the reg asp. 2.0 found in the Sonata. Way to package the car by the way and showing the new Subaru impreza how it's done (like the Impreza car but ridiculous options):thumbup:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 11:17:55 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 11:17:57 am »
Finally!!! Although I am still holding on for the "casually mentioned" turbo version. Hyundai has gone so far as mentioning 208hp/195 lb-ft for it so I figure we're about a year away before seeing that beast. I figure that's the one to REALLY wait for.

I have seen a couple of these at dealers last week. What a great looking car sure to give it's competitors a run for their money. Fantastic value!

The writer's comments about the autobox doesn't carry weight with me. I've driven most of these "manu-matic" trannys with the exception of Porsche's PDK gearbox and none of them impress me. Even the much touted VW DSG unit never does exactly what I wanted it to. I say that if you want a stick shift, buy one.

Vasyapirh - go drive a TC. I for one was not impressed with it's roughness and overall unrefined nature.

I found the VW DSG to be excellent when driven hard.  At low speeds it was pretty rough around the edges.  The Mitsu unit is excellent.  Ford's twin clutch unit has also drawn a lot of negative comments.  So If Hyundai's unit is anything like that I can see why the author didn't like it.  A proper twin clutch transmission should be a lot of fun to operate when in manual mode.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 11:19:41 am by greengs »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 01:00:33 pm »
A neighbour on my street got a black veloster last week.  Car looks terrific in that shade, and seems way more expensive than it is.  This will sell like hotcakes, and kill what few sales the rwd Genesis Coupe got up here in snowyland.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 02:44:17 pm »
Not a fan of the styling but then again, with the exception of the Elantra, I don't care for most of what Hyundai is designing these days.

I expect they will sell tons of them to the younger demographics though, who will immediately equip them with all sorts of "tuner" options. It might be a good time to buy stock in fart-pipe exhaust tip manufacturers, "Euro" taillight makers, and "No Fear" windshield shade producers again.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

richink

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 03:27:38 pm »
might be a good time to buy stock in fart-pipe exhaust tip manufacturers, "Euro" taillight makers, and "No Fear" windshield shade producers again.

Apparently it has already been done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAEqvEtSM3E

But I hear you, these kids and their so-called upgrades are laughable, kinda like a big 'ole fart with no stank. I for one prefer the blub-blub-blub of an old big block or the near-silent thrust of modern turbo-Euro cars.

Offline ajay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +16/-34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 03:31:24 pm »

Don't they listen to these fart cans and see how lame they sound !

A little quirk in the auto trans and suspension , the Turbo should be fun .

Offline BernardP

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 04:10:20 pm »
I appreciate the fact that Hyundai is selling the car in Canada for about the same price as in the US. Subaru, Nissan and  a few others will have to wake up soon to the fact that our CDN$ is now a strong currency... and no longer worth $ 0.75 US.

(Try to price a Legacy or a 370 ZX on both the US and Canada websites of these manufacturers)

The red color looks great, but I will always be reluctant to get another red car (had a red '88 CRX Si), because the red taillights disappear in the body. It's even worse when the red of the lights is different from the red of the paint. I guess swapping for white lenses becomes mandatory.
2014 Audi A4 2.0T 6MT

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 04:32:04 pm »
It's interesting that both the Veloster and the Accent on which it is based get the same commentary on noise levels ie very quiet.

This is a BIG DEAL for most people when buying a car and if the Accent and Veloster punch way above their weight here - I'm thinking of Civics and Corollas and possibly beyond - then these two could really scramble the sub $25k market.

Given the lack of flaws mentioned for either car, a very high ranking in a critical assessment area could take them into higher market segments.

Cheers,
John M.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 04:48:27 pm »
I wonder how many Genesis Coupe buyers will be swayed to the more practical and cheaper Velostar.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 05:58:07 pm »
It's interesting that both the Veloster and the Accent on which it is based get the same commentary on noise levels ie very quiet.

When I have seen such comments it is in the context of "quiet for their class" or similar.

Not necessarily the same as "quiet".

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 06:23:22 pm »
I wonder how many Genesis Coupe buyers will be swayed to the more practical and cheaper Velostar.

Completely different cars IMHO.  Why would someone wanting RWD fun go for a Veloster?  I certainly wouldn't, even though it is a nice little car.  The driving dynamics of the GC are far better.  And I would bet on the GC being as practical.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 06:24:31 pm »
Looks like an excellent buy for a sporty, fun, and practical vehicle. If I were to buy this, I'd want the base model + sunroof. Too bad you need to get the Tech package for that. :(

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 06:24:47 pm »
might be a good time to buy stock in fart-pipe exhaust tip manufacturers, "Euro" taillight makers, and "No Fear" windshield shade producers again.

But I hear you, these kids and their so-called upgrades are laughable, kinda like a big 'ole fart with no stank. I for one prefer the blub-blub-blub of an old big block or the near-silent thrust of modern turbo-Euro cars.

You guys...

:rofl2:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 06:26:19 pm »
wow...$19k for all that?!...holy crap...this car should be tough for dealerships to keep in stock...while no powerhouse, it is very well equipped and looks to be a very respectable car...i still can't get over that price...it would have been fun to watch the big wigs in the boardrooms of the competition do face palms after seeing this article.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 07:54:18 am »
Nice package but at 138 hp this thing would not be fun at all. It needs a 170 hp plant at a minimum.