Author Topic: 2011 Nissan Altima 100 000km update  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
2011 Nissan Altima 100 000km update
« on: August 25, 2016, 10:14:53 am »
So we recently rolled over 100 000kms on our 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5S.  Here are some metrics and maintenance figures:

Kilometerage:

We bought the car late June of 2014 with 54 603 kms for about $13.5k + taxes, and as of this writing, the car has 101 289kms.  In 26 months we have put on 46 686kms, or an average of 21 547/year, or 1796kms/month.  It is our only car, so this is the total mileage we drive in one year.  Our driving has been mostly city driving, with maybe 20% of the total being highway driving.  We did one long trip from Winnipeg to Calgary in the fall of 2014.  We have done a few shorter road trips, usually less than 400kms round trip to go camping, or day trips.

Maintenance:

Oil Changes
We have done 5 oil changes for a total of $268.45 at an average price of $45 taxes in.  One of the oil changes was larger at $82.46 because we replaced the cabin air filter.  The average interval works out to about 8000kms, plus or minus (we're about 2k away from needing another one).  Only conventional 5W30 oil is used, and they were all done at a quick lube shop.

CVT Maintenance

In July of 2015, at approximately 70 000kms we did voluntary CVT maintenance at a cost of $486.40.  This was a flush and fluid replacement, and was done at a Nissan dealership.  To be fair, the CVT maintenance was NOT required (there is no set interval, the fluid is supposed to get tested each oil change), however we are towing with the car and I didn't want to take any chances with the CVT.  We could probably have stretched the interval, but let's call it a peace of mind item.

All Season Tires
The car came with brand new Cooper CS5 Grand Touring 215/60R16 tires.  According to the 'Wear Square TM' http://coopercs5.com/ we have about 75% of tread life left (I haven't measured, just looking at the wear indicator on the tire.  Considering we have winter tires on for 5 or six months per year, I'll guesstimate that only about 55% of our mileage is driven on the Coopers, or 25 677.  I'll also guesstimate that they have about 75% treadlife remaining, meaning they should be good up to about 100 000kms before we have to start considering replacing them.   At approx. 12 000kms per year of use on them, that equates to about 8 years since we purchased the car, or another 6 years from this point.  We will probably have sold the car before we need to consider buying new all season tires for it.

The Coopers have required two flat repairs (actually both repairs on one tire) at $35.51 and $34.30, for a total of $69.81

Winter Tires
In September of 2014 we purchased a set of 4 Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires c/w steel rims for $781.87 from Costco.  I put them on in November of each year and remove them in April.  This means we drive on them for 5-6 months, or about 45% of our average mileage. We have therefore put on approximately 21 000 kms on our Blizzaks.  They still worked well at the end of last season, so I'll be using them again this winter.  I have no idea how long they will last until the winter tire compound has been expended, but I wouldn't be surprised if I get another two winters out of them.  Let's just say that they will last another 2 winters, for a total of 4 winters, or 42 000kms.  That will mean that the winter tires will cost approx. $195 per winter.  No repairs have been necessary, and I've hardly even had to put any air into them.  They have been fantastic.

Unscheduled repairs
At about 80 000kms we had to have the stabilizer bar control links replaced.  At the same time we had the rear rotors machined as they were rubbing.  This cost a total of $352.41
In January of 2016 we had to replace the battery, for a total of $112.99

This isn't unscheduled, but rather just a normal maintenance item.  This spring I replaced the engine air filter for $20.33

Fuel

Over the last 26 months we have spent approx. $4600 in fuel.  At an average of $1.15/L, this works out to 4013 Liters, which works out to about 8.6L/100kms.  This number is not completely accurate as I'm not entirely sure about the average price of fuel over the last couple of years.  If the average price is lower, our mileage is higher, and vice versa.  I HAVE noticed (via the onboard computer) that when on the highway I can attain 6.5-7L/100kms, but while driving in the city, we do about 9.2L/100kms.  If driven very carefully in the city, it's possible to see 7.4-8.0L/100kms, but my wife never drives that way, and frankly I've given up.

Misc

Shortly after we bought the car I purchased a hitch from Uhaul for it.  cost for the hitch and all accessories (wiring harness, drawbar, ball, etc) was $254.19.  I installed it myself in my brother-in-law's garage.

Things that are currently wrong with the car

There isn't much that has gone wrong with this car in the last 50 000kms. 
-I'm getting the feeling that there is a little bit of clunkiness in the front end, which is an indicator that I may need some more suspension work done, probably ball joints or something related. 
-The passenger rear window switch on the drive panel doesn't work to go UP anymore.  The switch at the window still works both up and down, but the driver's switch only works for down.  This is a PITA because my 3 year old daughter sits in that seat, and she's figured out that she can depress the switch with her foot.  If she opens the window it means I have to either leave it open or reach over stretch to close it.  If I lock out the windows, it also locks out the front passenger window, which I don't like to do because then it means my wife can't control her window.  This is nothing I'm going to consider fixing, as it isn't anything important, more just a pain in the ass.
-There is some rust starting on the leading edge of the roof at the windshield.  I have touched it up with some black nail polish, but I'm afraid it's just going to spread.  This worries, but I'm not sure there is much I can do without spending some serious money.  Ditto for the driver side rear door.  There is a spot of rust starting on the trailing edge of the door, on the little piece next to the quarter window.

-This car has been a bump and dent magnet.  We have so many door scuffs from assholes opening doors into us in parking lots its not funny.  One time I had the car parked on the street out front of my parents house and one of their neighbours backed into the car and hit the passenger side corner of the rear bumper.  I have an idea of which neighbor it was from the angle at which it was hit, but I didn't catch them in the act, and they didn't stick around or own up to it, so there is nothing I can do.  The hit cracked the bumper at that corner and left a pretty good scuff.  I haven't claimed it because deductible.  This next one is my fault:  I was reversing the car into the driveway where the boat trailer is parked.  I misjudged, and backed the car into the trailer.  It left a nice crack and scuff in the center of the rear bumper.  Needless to say, our rear bumper isn't in the greatest of shape.

I'm trying my best to keep the interior of the car clean, but there have been some mishaps.  My daughter weed herself once when we were potty training, and the wee went through the carseat and onto/into the rear seat.  I immediately cleaned it up with some vinegar, water and various chemicals.  I haven't noticed any lingering smell or stain, but still, that happened.  Both my teenager and my toddler leave crumbs and various other crap back there, along with an assortment of sticky stuff.  I try my best to keep on top of it, but I'm sure there is something back there right at this moment that I haven't caught.  The space underneath the carseat is the worst.  Whenever I remove the carseat there is a TON of crumbs and crap underneath that I have to vacuum up.  Kids are the worst on a car.

Overall, the condition of the interior isn't BAD, but it would certainly need some deep cleaning before being sold.

Overall

It's hard not to be happy with this car.  The size of it is suitable for my family, and it's hard to beat the fuel economy (newer cars and CUV's are better, but they would also have cost us twice as much to buy) given the size of the car.  All in all, we have spent $1310 on maintenance, $781.87 on tires, $4616 on fuel, and $254.19 on a hitch, for a grand total of $6962 over two years, or an average  of $3213 per year.  This figure will go down as the tires, CVT maintenance and hitch will be amortized over the next couple of years as well.  If we drive the car for another two years, assuming similar maintenance and fuel costs, our average cost per year will be about $3100, plus the cost of purchasing the vehicle, which was relatively low compared to new cars.  Our car payment is $351 over 48 months at 5%, so after 4 years this car will have cost us $7312 per year, or $29 248 total.  This includes all car related things, included the car itself, maintenance, fuel, tires, etc.  This is NOT including the potential resale of the car (which at this point is likely around $7000-$9000).  Once the car is paid off, the yearly cost will obviously drop significantly.  After four years of ownership, given consistent mileage, the car should have 140 000kms and will be 7 years old.

That being said, I have no idea if that is good value or not.  It SEEMS like a lot of money, but I have no real benchmark against which to measure it (my last vehicle was a truck, so not really comparable).  The car serves us very well, always starts in the morning, has basically been the pinnacle of reliability (none of the repairs have ever been urgent).  It transports our family to our various jobs and pleasure activities, and even serves us a tow vehicle when we go boating or camping.  We use our Altima quite hard, and it has never let us down.  There ARE times when I wish we had the V6, but all in all, the 2.5L 4-cylinder has been adequate.  It even pulls hard on the highway when trying to make a pass.  There are also times when I wish for more cargo capacity (like for going camping) but given that I have a trailer hitch, extra cargo space is just a trailer away (a U-Haul has been rented a few times for trips to Ikea and to pick up soil/gravel).

That being said, our next vehicle will likely be a CUV of some sort, one that is capable of towing at least 3500lbs.  We plan to eventually buy a larger trailer tent to go camping with.  Yet at the same time we enjoy the fuel economy of a smaller vehicle, therefore a large truck or SUV (however desirable) probably isn't in the cards.

There, that's it.  The 100 000km review of the Altima is complete.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:18:41 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: 2011 Nissan Altima 100 000km update
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 10:36:47 am »
Great review, I sold my Altima at 5 years and 105,000kms and it needed a bunch of stuff done to it by then. The struts were done all around, the front end was clunky, clutch was a high, 2nd gear was crunchy, cd 6 stacker no longer...errr...stacked and mine went through brakes like there was no tommorow. The body was in great shape, it looked great when it was clean, the interior held up well, the V6.....god I miss that VQ, pulled like a mofo.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 10:44:03 am »
Good update, I am impressed that you've kept such detailed records. Sounds like it's been a very loyal family hauler, I am only surprised at the fact that you're starting to see rust already - at only 5 years old that seems a little premature, even here in the salt mine that the GTA is in the winter.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 11:18:07 am »
Good update, I am impressed that you've kept such detailed records. Sounds like it's been a very loyal family hauler, I am only surprised at the fact that you're starting to see rust already - at only 5 years old that seems a little premature, even here in the salt mine that the GTA is in the winter.

I keep all car maintenance and parts receipts in a large Ziploc baggie in the glove compartment.  I don't keep gas receipts, but I get yearly statements from Co-oP detailing how much we've spent and how many litres we have bought.  Since we have only one car, it's easy to figure out.

Offline dash

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Acura RLX hybrid
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 05:17:36 pm »
I have an 07' 3.5 SE with 220K. Non-maintenance repairs have been: just recently replaced front bearing left side for the 3rd time, front right 2x and rears each side once (usually about $1K for a pair all in). Replace bad cd player (scrap yard replacement for $80). 
Had a problem with fan speed, delayed speed till car was very warm same condition for AC in summer, dealer recommended replacing HVAC control cluster unit below radio. When I got my used radio it came with HVAC control cluster, replacement did change system. Research on web indicated fan relay in PITA location behind rear of fuse panel located left of steering wheel, relay solved problem, $30 part.
Front brakes have been replaced twice, rears 3x, calipers sliders like to stick!!  Parts guy whispered to me that  07' onward nissan went cheap and eliminated the brake balancing valve, hence his good inventory of rear sliders due to more frequent replacements

"Why be quiet, and thought a fool, when you can speak up and remove all doubt"

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 08:38:12 pm »
I have a friend with one, and they recently had the driver's side front strut mount collapse, causing a complete failure of the suspension - luckily no one was hurt.  They had it towed to their indie shop, and the tech mentioned that he's seeing lots of similar age Altimas failing this way.  I googled it and found nothing talking about this issue.

Have you heard anything about this type of failure?

Offline dash

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Acura RLX hybrid
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 05:19:17 pm »
John, no I have not heard about the strut issue, nor I have been researching the strut  problem, so still possible and scary news. I did forget to  mentioning that I replaced my front stabilizers same time bearings were  recently changed. One would hope that the mechanic would notice any issues with my struts (still original-knock on wood).  My work was done at a nissan dealership, wife used to work there till recently and employee discount was beneficial cost wise and hopefully quality wise!

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Cars: Good times:) Bad investment ;/
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MG Midget, Ford Falcon, Mazda RX-experimental rotary engine, Pontiac Firebird 350, Yamaha 500cc, Yamaha 850cc, Harley-Davidson LowRider 1340cc, VW Beetle, Mazda 3, Pontiac Sunfire 2.4 GT Coupe
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 05:56:26 pm »
Congrats on the very detailed and useful review, its' fantastic!!!
The 2016 Consumers Report Used Car Buying Guide gives the 2011 Altima a full red circle "much better than average" as its' "Used Car Verdict". I have been looking for an Altima 2.5 S coupe because I like the styling and think that its an essentially a very good and reliable car. I live in Ottawa where the roads are kind of slippery for four or five months of the year, do you find that with good snow tiers you get a secure ride in the Winter?  Its' a bit disappointing that your Altima is showing signs of the beginnings of rust, do you use Krown or other rust preventative measures?

I'm looking in AutoTrader for a 2011 or 2012 Altima 2.5 S with about 60,000kms on it, but they don't come up for sale very often here and when they do they usually have quite high milage on them, I would prefer to buy it from a dealership in Ottawa, but thats seeming rather impossible these days, there are more available in Montreal, but I'm afraid of getting Ripped-Off, there are many more available in the Greater Toronto area, but I'm also a bit afraid of getting Ripped-Off  ;)
Your car looks great! I hope you get to enjoy it for a long time to come :)

I would appreciate any advice or opinions that you or anyone has for me?

Thanks in advance  :)
LETS' DO THE "TIME WARP"... AGAIN!!!

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 08:32:46 am »
Congrats on the very detailed and useful review, its' fantastic!!!
The 2016 Consumers Report Used Car Buying Guide gives the 2011 Altima a full red circle "much better than average" as its' "Used Car Verdict". I have been looking for an Altima 2.5 S coupe because I like the styling and think that its an essentially a very good and reliable car. I live in Ottawa where the roads are kind of slippery for four or five months of the year, do you find that with good snow tiers you get a secure ride in the Winter?  Its' a bit disappointing that your Altima is showing signs of the beginnings of rust, do you use Krown or other rust preventative measures?

I'm looking in AutoTrader for a 2011 or 2012 Altima 2.5 S with about 60,000kms on it, but they don't come up for sale very often here and when they do they usually have quite high milage on them, I would prefer to buy it from a dealership in Ottawa, but thats seeming rather impossible these days, there are more available in Montreal, but I'm afraid of getting Ripped-Off, there are many more available in the Greater Toronto area, but I'm also a bit afraid of getting Ripped-Off  ;)
Your car looks great! I hope you get to enjoy it for a long time to come :)

I would appreciate any advice or opinions that you or anyone has for me?

Thanks in advance  :)

We use Blizzaks in the winter, and the car has been great.  Very stable, especially on the highway.  I think we have the Vehicle Stability Control System to thank for that.  That VSC works wonders, too.  We have a roundabout near our house, and sometimes in the winter I'll come into it hot, turn, then let off the gas, trying to induce lift-off understeer and get the rear to rotate.  I'll feel the rear end briefly start to rotate, then the 'VSC' cuts in an applies brake power to individual wheels and I feel the car come back in line.  It performs similarly for understeer, too.  One more thing to mention, the VSC system acts like an e-diff on the front axle.  If it feels one wheel slipping when accelerating, it will apply the brake on the spinning wheel, transferring power to the wheel with more traction.  The fact that the car is a mid-size and weighs more than a compact probably contributes to its winter handling, too.

I don't think you can go wrong with an Altima Coupe, other than their rareness.  You're right that they're hard to find.  Nissan didn't sell very many of them.  You might have better luck finding an Accord Coupe, as I think Honda sold more of those than Nissan did of theirs.