Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Chrysler 200  (Read 26632 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2011 Chrysler 200
« on: November 15, 2010, 03:09:29 am »

An 'evolution of the Sebring midsize sedan,' the new Chrysler 200 will start under $20,000, reports Paul Williams, making it the lowest-cost midsize car in Canada.  The 200 'addresses key shortcomings in the outgoing model, namely suspension and interior quality.'
Read More...

Calvin

Re: First Drive: 2011 Chrysler 200
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 07:31:52 am »
"Although the not unattractive exterior design of the Sebring does benefit from a new..."

"Although the unattractive exterior design of the Sebring does benefit from a new..."  There...fixed it for ya.

Hopefully the next go 'round improves on the looks (where's the REAL 200 please!?).  Definitely impressed by the power numbers of the V-6 though (how could you/I not be?  It was only 10 yrs ago 154 out of a V-6 was common...well, if you're driving a Taurus it is, which I am  :'()  If it weren't for the fact you have to look at this thing on a daily basis, I might actually be tempted to check out a Chrysler product.  Well, I guess there's always the Journey.  It looks decent.

magnesium

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 07:45:45 am »
The Automotive editor of the Chicago Sun Times says all these Chrysler now 35  % owned by FIAT, are not worth anything due to the fact that workers on the line don't give a dam about quality, and smoke Pot and drink beer for lunch! He feels that Chrysler has no future starting from the time Germans had it to when Cerebus had it and so it goes, time will tell I expect!

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 07:50:14 am »
Compared to the overwrought design of the Sebring, I like the conservative look of the 200, reminds me of the inoffensive but clean look of the prior-generation Sonata.

It appears that the spent the money where it counts, as should be the case - the interior, which was the biggest liability.  Throw in a modern V-6 and Bob's Your Uncle.

Given what Cerberus did to ChryCo, Fiat appears to be investing big time into the brand, financially if not stylistically (yet).   :thumbup: :thumbup:

Fortune favours the bold!

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 07:51:00 am »
The Automotive editor of the Chicago Sun Times says all these Chrysler now 35  % owned by FIAT, are not worth anything due to the fact that workers on the line don't give a dam about quality, and smoke Pot and drink beer for lunch! He feels that Chrysler has no future starting from the time Germans had it to when Cerebus had it and so it goes, time will tell I expect!

Sounds like the automotive editor of the Sun Times is a moron. FIAT owns 20% of Chrysler. They could not possibly hold 35% until the end of next year. Significant milestones must be hit for that to happen. And a handful of employees were smoking pot and drinking beer. Those guys were ratted out by other workers swiftly dealt with.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 07:55:45 am »
Not a bad looking car at all. About as good as it could be made keeping the glass and hardpoints of the Sebring. The new V6 should make it into a little hotrod. If they get the handling sorted out, this or the revamped Avenger could make for a dandy nickle rocket. Likely a lot of fleet sales with these, but it may start showing folks that driving a Chrysler is not the huge disappointment that the Sebring was. Nice to see that the influence of the Germans is over with, and that Chrysler got right back on the right path when they were done.

Pricing looks very good, at $26 K for the Touring with the pentastar. Yes, it does make the performance of the Regal likely look silly, though I doubt many people will cross shop them.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 08:01:55 am by Erik »

hemusbull

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 08:24:11 am »
New catastrophic product from Chrysler, IMO! They choose evolution of 300 model line instead revolutionizing their missing family class vehicle. First of all - what wrong with their engineers - six speed is worse in the city then the four (not even five). Second - this ugly masked rear doors/windows combination... There is beautifull examples - see Mazda6, Sonata... This car needs too much work to be made competitive - it's simply the worse car even before it's maiden market launch.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 08:43:05 am »
Well, it is nicer then the Sebring....but that wasn't overly difficult to accomplish

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 08:44:16 am »
Nice to see some Mensa members posting on this thread.  ::)

Considering my 2002 Sebring LX's MSRP was just over $25k, I'd say the 200 is a bargain.  I'll make sure to drive one soon.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 08:52:08 am by Winklovic »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 08:45:44 am »
I dare anyone to tell me that doesn't look like a Sebring.

Other than the grille, every other angle looks like a Sebring, IMO.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 08:54:24 am »

Of course it looks like a Sebring.  This is a refresh and a name change, not an entirely new car.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 09:04:51 am »
Nice to see some Mensa members posting on this thread.  ::)

Considering my 2002 Sebring LX's MSRP was just over $25k, I'd say the 200 is a bargain.  I'll make sure to drive one soon.

The Sebring you own IMO was far better matched to the competition in its day then the out going model.  I have driven (multi-day rental) almost every 4 cylinder mid-size family sedan in the past two years.  Of the Altima, Fusion, Sonata, Magentis, Sebring, Avenger, Camry and Mazda 6 I found the Sebring/Avenger twins to be the worst.  None of these cars were rocket ships, but they seemed to slowest, the transmission was rough, it didn't handle well....and then there was the interior

I think the restyled 200 has potentially addressed a lot of the issues I found with the car, especially the interior

Artish

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 09:05:55 am »
Sebring??? That's a insult brought to that car that even id it didn't excell in its reliablility it was a nice looking car. This looks like a defunct Saturn Ion with Impreza sedan tail lights. I a word: HORRIBLE!

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 09:07:26 am »

Of course it looks like a Sebring.  This is a refresh and a name change, not an entirely new car.

That's too bad... the 200 really needed to be completely different from the Sebring. A simple refresh and name change are definitely not enough to erase the nightmares the outgoing Sebring has caused to everyone that drove one.

CDF

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 09:14:41 am »
Well it's an improvement, but it's still ugly.

I had a bright red 2008 Dodge Avenger rental car a few years ago while vacationing in The Maritimes. The car had less than 1000km on the odo. What a complete piece of garbage. Really nothing nice I could say about that car except for conveniently located cup holders. Poor ride, terrible handling, terrible fuel economy, awful transmission and pity the fools that had to sit in the back seats.

Chrysler went bankrupt for a reason, and it wasn't because they were building good cars. The current Ram, 2011 Durango and Jeep Cherokee are all very competent vehicles, so perhaps there is hope for this company.

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 10:39:37 am »
In the article it is stated that Chrysler will be getting an 8 speed trasmission.  While this is true the 8 speed is for RWD vehicles (Chrysler ZF designed).  FWD vehicles will be getting a FIAT designed 6 speed DCT next year.

Offline crwpitman

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • My artwork
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 10:51:35 am »
I can see now why Chrysler didn't release any side shots - that thing looks awkward.  And way too much like a Sebring that someone grafted the taillights from a Jag XF onto.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 11:45:54 am »

Of course it looks like a Sebring. Without changing the glass on it, a restyle will only do so much.

However, sounds like they got all the major stuff right, and priced it very competitively. Doesn't sound like Chrysler has any illusions about it being a class leader. This is just the first step to get them on the road again.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 11:52:41 am »

Oh it does that goes without saying. Looks like someone chop off each end of a sebring, glued on a new front and rear end. I have to say I do fine the design fugly and bland. The Sebring made have been iffy all rounded. but it wasn't dull as dish water. Nothing would want to make me buy this car. Come on Fiat you can do better than this....It's bit Fiat Linea looking too...

JACK123

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 11:57:34 am »
Poor Chrysler keeps building cheap junk. Time to hire new enginners/designers guys or you will be out of business soon....