Author Topic: Electrial Problem....  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Chad1964

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva, 1996 Dodge grand Caravan.
Electrial Problem....
« on: December 16, 2014, 06:41:18 pm »
Hi all not sure i will get an answer but its worth a try!
Long story, but! I will try and keep it short. Few months back I was putting my alternator back in..I forgot to disconnect battery terminals and Power supply wire from alternator touched Car Creating spark at that point and down by my Solenoid(Starter) Area, as well as bit of smoke and smell!..What i noticed now is car will start but battery light stays on..the other day I left car idling for minute or so after a minute of idling wipers seemed to be moving slower then usual...dashboard lights dimmer...and heater not blowing fully as it did long time ago...then suddenly car seemed like it was gonna quit..(powering out) So i shut it off!!
So my Initial thought was alternator was gone! But after thinking about it...My power supply wasnt hooked up to alternator when i got the spark so how could I have fried the Alternator?
My car is a 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 3.1 6cyl.
Any suggestions would be appreciated  ty for your time!.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Electrial Problem....
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 07:55:21 pm »
Get a voltmeter and see what the alternator is putting out.....most likely you blew it

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Electrial Problem....
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 08:09:34 pm »
Get a voltmeter and see what the alternator is putting out.....most likely you blew it

Yea..or a voltage regulator.  Though newer cars the regulator is integral to the alternator.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...