Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Buick Verano  (Read 21631 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Buick Verano
« on: July 31, 2014, 06:28:51 am »

A desirable entry-level luxury sedan manages to surprise with its thoughtful details and a great drivetrain.

Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Buick Verano
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 09:50:50 am »
edit:

but is starting to look very dated with its crunchy green font and graphics on a black screen.
Forget about the centre position, which is very narrow, straddles a tunnel and loses most of its legroom thanks to the centre console and loses most of its legroom thanks to a raised exhaust tunnel.

I appreciated the trunk release button inside and on the key fob, but hated that there isn’t a button to open it on the trunk lid itself.
This isn't uncommon, but yes, an annoyance.

I averaged 11.4 L/100 km
with a turbo?  Sounds about right.  What I dislike is that the Verano weighs as much as my Forester Turbo and returns the same fuel economy despite mine having AWD and a 4-speed auto and a stupidly high cd of 0.37.

Buick makes a big deal about how impressively sound-dampened the Verano’s cabin is. They aren’t kidding around.
I think this is Buick's greatest selling point.  Yes, they are more reliable than most other GM products (at least in my subjective opinion), but short of an S-class, you simply cannot get better sound insulation.

Price as tested: $36,970
...and priced like my loaded Forester XT, too.

Funny, one of my relatives was recently widowed and traded in her TSX for a Verano to lower the payments (no idea the trim, but definitely not the turbo).  She says she loves it.

near-luxury sedan
No, Tom.  No.  Just no.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 11:52:56 am »
"Buick makes a big deal about how impressively sound-dampened the Verano’s cabin is. They aren’t kidding around."

Perhaps this is Buick's ONLY selling point?

Oh, please. ::)
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 12:23:39 pm »
I really like the Verano too, and that brown colour looks even better in person. My few gripes are: having to pkg up to get heated seats, no stick with the (much cheaper) atmo engine. I will drive it come car shopping time, as its attribute make a lot more sense for my commuting than, say, a Focus ST's (that one would rattle my fillings loose on our terrible "pavement"). WAF also pretty high for me, as she points them out on the road.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Northernridge

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 12:27:57 pm »
My wife commented the other day that the new Buicks look very nice. Then again she doesn't know that car people are expected to hate Buick.  ;)

Offline dave_b

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14 Verano Turbo 6MT
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 09:46:24 am »
I have had my 2014 6MT Verano T since April. Lifetime mileage so far is 9.1 L/100kms. I don't hoon around, i just really enjoy the midrange passing power the most, and that it cruises at 2100 rpm at 120 kph in top gear.

Its hard to make too much of how quiet the car is.

Its an awesome little car. The lack of a trunk lid located button is one of my biggest bugs with the car.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 11:41:12 am »
I have had my 2014 6MT Verano T since April. Lifetime mileage so far is 9.1 L/100kms. I don't hoon around, i just really enjoy the midrange passing power the most, and that it cruises at 2100 rpm at 120 kph in top gear.

Its hard to make too much of how quiet the car is.

Its an awesome little car. The lack of a trunk lid located button is one of my biggest bugs with the car.
Good to hear from an actual owner (and one with a manny tranny).

I think my only beef with this car is that it's underpinned by the Cruze, which is a decent car in many respects, but I can't shake the hateful thoughts of my 1997 Cavalier despite it sharing virtually nothing with the Cruze platform :P

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 12:11:46 pm »
 ??? this has to be the quietest Buick thread ever.

Offline heroofmaxia

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Acura, Pontiac, Buick, Mazda
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 12:16:29 pm »
I currently own a 2012 Verano and I am thoroughly impressed with this car. It's my first Buick and so far quiet and reliable. The only issue was a trunk lid that wouldn't close during the last cold winter (-25C). Dealer changed the latch so hopefully the issue is fixed. I am also getting about 9L/100km. Rear leg room is tight. I'd like to point out that this car is based on the Cruze but has a modified chassis which is very different. It is basically the Opel Astra sold in Europe. I hope Buick finally shakes the "old man" image with their new lineup because I think these cars are really good and under appreciated. That being said, every time I drive by a new Buick on the road I am hoping to see a driver in my age group. Sadly...it has not happened yet. Insurance is cheap....company told me no one will steal a Buick.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 12:19:10 pm »
I currently own a 2012 Verano and I am thoroughly impressed with this car. It's my first Buick and so far quiet and reliable. The only issue was a trunk lid that wouldn't close during the last cold winter (-25C). Dealer changed the latch so hopefully the issue is fixed. I am also getting about 9L/100km. Rear leg room is tight. I'd like to point out that this car is based on the Cruze but has a modified chassis which is very different. It is basically the Opel Astra sold in Europe. I hope Buick finally shakes the "old man" image with their new lineup because I think these cars are really good and under appreciated. That being said, every time I drive by a new Buick on the road I am hoping to see a driver in my age group. Sadly...it has not happened yet. Insurance is cheap....company told me no one will steal a Buick.

That's a good thing!   maybe i should rethink buying a Buick... ;D

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 12:41:36 pm »
I think my only beef with this car is that it's underpinned by the Cruze, which is a decent car in many respects, but I can't shake the hateful thoughts of my 1997 Cavalier despite it sharing virtually nothing with the Cruze platform :P

THIS.  After decades of Cavaliers, Sunbirds, Sunfires, G5's and Cobalts being considered 'disposable' cars, it really is very hard to shake the feeling that this isn't more of the same from the General.

I mean, come on, you're paying $36,000 for what is basically a cruze, the spiritual successor to a Cavalier, which was one of the cheapest modes of transport you could buy.

I just think that for $36,000 you've got so many other options, even options with turbocharged four-cylinder engines (Sonata/Optima, Fusion, Passat) that may not be as quiet, but likely exceed the buick when it comes to overall luxury, and especially size.

And then you've got your V6 sedans.  Accord, Altima, Legacy, etc.  I'd have a hard time spending my $36,000 on a Cruze-based vehicle when I can get a top-spec Accord Touring V6 for the same amount.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:45:16 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 01:25:22 pm »
they share the same platform...suspension might be calibrated differently, but it's the same car....

this is what Buick should have brought to NA, instead of the Chinese version...

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 02:07:30 pm »
I have the 2013 turbo and its been great, no problems. Some of the comments in here are laughable (although no surprise for a Buick threat with the number of minds out there set in stone, meaning in the past). Back 5 years ago and more, I swore I would never buy a GM product. But I kept researching and trying and comparing.

In retrospect the posters must be embarrassed. Especially those who obviously haven't driven at all, or for at least a decent length of time, a Cruze and a Verano!

By the way, I have averaged 9.8L over a long period of mixed use driving. Highway is about 8.0L. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 02:09:48 pm by dougjp »

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 04:33:35 pm »
they share the same platform...suspension might be calibrated differently, but it's the same car....

this is what Buick should have brought to NA, instead of the Chinese version...

This car is made in Michigan and has a close cousin for the chinese market called the Excelle, big deal.  Other well known companies also have a chinese version you know ;)

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 04:35:24 pm »

THIS.  After decades of Cavaliers, Sunbirds, Sunfires, G5's and Cobalts being considered 'disposable' cars, it really is very hard to shake the feeling that this isn't more of the same from the General.

I mean, come on, you're paying $36,000 for what is basically a cruze, the spiritual successor to a Cavalier, which was one of the cheapest modes of transport you could buy.

I just think that for $36,000 you've got so many other options, even options with turbocharged four-cylinder engines (Sonata/Optima, Fusion, Passat) that may not be as quiet, but likely exceed the buick when it comes to overall luxury, and especially size.

And then you've got your V6 sedans.  Accord, Altima, Legacy, etc.  I'd have a hard time spending my $36,000 on a Cruze-based vehicle when I can get a top-spec Accord Touring V6 for the same amount.

disposable! lot's of those on the road yet to be disposed!!

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 05:17:48 pm »

You spoke too soon. The usual loons have come out. 

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 05:42:00 pm »

Better not be calling me loon, I am merely suggesting that if they were disposable, they would be all gone! Get it ;)

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2014 Buick Verano
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 06:59:57 pm »

disposable! lot's of those on the road yet to be disposed!!
Yup.  I had 290k kms on my 92 Sunbird before I got rid of it.  Ran great and knowing what I now know, I probably could have fixed and drove it a few more years.  Seriously, it wasn't a terrible car by any means and for the $10k purchase price it served it's purpose and then some.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 09:12:16 pm »

Better not be calling me loon, I am merely suggesting that if they were disposable, they would be all gone! Get it ;)

Not you. Bozos comparing this to a Cavalier.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 01:53:01 pm »
As I said to myself, "I'd sooner shoot myself in the face than buy a Buick, or maybe when I'm 80."

I usually say the same about drivers of most BMW M series drivers, Range Rover drivers, higher end Audi/M-B/Lexus/Infiniti/etc. drivers, Italian exotic drivers, (you get the picture) in Ottawa -- if they aren't 20-something year-old Chinese or Middle-Eastern trust-fund kids/drug lords, then they are fat ugly and over 65.  It always seems to me that the hottest cars are driven by people who either look like criminals or Jabba the Hut.  Both reasons not to buy them. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 08:46:46 pm by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...