Author Topic: Feature: Autos.ca 2013 Top Picks  (Read 23768 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: Autos.ca 2013 Top Picks
« on: December 19, 2012, 07:06:36 am »

There has never been a better time than now for Canadian automotive consumers, but how do you sort the good cars from the bad cars?

Read More...

Offline easyrider

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 journey, 11 mazda 3
Re: Feature: Autos.ca 2013 Top Picks
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:57:16 am »
LOL, seems to me the Cruze won your non hatchback comparo and the /sonic is much better than the /fit. so i call BS on this one. ::)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 08:06:01 am »
Good idea for a best of year list - and well presented also. Solid list. I don't have too many quibbles. I guess the new Accord must be a vaulting leap ahead of the old, which I thought to be the very definition of "average" in very nearly every respect.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 08:08:36 am »
LOL, seems to me the Cruze won your non hatchback comparo and the /sonic is much better than the /fit. so i call BS on this one. ::)

The Cruze did win then...but lost to the Elantra GT later.  The Focus always finished near the top, is a sedan and a hatchback, and offers the ST.

Who said the Sonic is better than the Fit?

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 08:30:55 am »
I like your choices low down up to Focus. Above that level I will never be in the car market for so my opinion does not count. Except that the Ford F150 is a suprise...well the emphatic statement anyway. I have heard this from knowing users though. Oh I suppose the Van category is left out because there is no catching the Caravan for content and value. It handles decently too.
Yeah, I like the Reo over the Accent also...oh and the Fiesta for looks, too many folds for me but the new grille might change that.

Offline mastodon

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Infiniti G35X, Mazda 3
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 08:42:51 am »
Great choices IMO, similar to my own as follows:

Subcompact - Kia Rio (based on looks only)

Compact - Mazda 3, Hyundai Elantra

Midsize - Honda Accord, Kia Optima

Sports car low - Subaru Brz/Scion FR-S, Mazda Miata, Ford Mustang

Sports car high  - Porsche Boxster

Luxury car low - BMW 3 Series, Cadillac ATS

Luxury Car high - BMW 5 series

CUV low - Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, Mazda CX-5

CUV high - Audi Q5, Jeep Grand Cherokee

Trucks - Ford F-150, ram 1500

Offline jjac28

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 09:30:17 am »
^^^thats a better list, I have the Mazda 3 skyactiv as the best compact by far

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 09:43:07 am »
There has never been a better time than now for Canadian automotive consumers, but how do you sort the good cars from the bad cars?
Read More...

Mostly agree, but some choices don't make sense and are contradictory.

1) Luxury low
ATS? "Dynamically superior" winning the "luxury" category. New 3-series would be my top pick.

Add a new category and name it "best premium/luxury driver's car". Put the ATS on top and I'll be happy with that.

2) Isn't the BRZ and FR-S the same car? So having essentially the same car occupy both 1st and 2nd looks kinda strange.

3) What happened to Ford Escape? How did the CR-V manage to beat it here? Not that I disagree with your choice (I would pick the CR-V too) but why change of heart?

4) The new Fusion is still unknown quantity. We don't know how the hybrid will perform in real driving conditions, so your praise for its "fantastic hybrid option" is a bit premature, as well as the troublesome 1.6l turbo engine. So value for money has a big question mark next to it. I wish it best though as it is a great looking car, and hopefully Ford resolves the engine issues quickly.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 09:53:48 am »
No bull huh !!

Well maybe a monkey with a wrench though !

These are opinions based on....well, let's say a number of factors ?

I to am surprised to see some of these choices, but ultimately the sales #'s will decide.

Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 10:19:40 am »
Great idea for the list.  I'm not even in a market for a family sedan, but I want to check out the Accord to see why everyone is falling in love with it.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 10:20:20 am »
Again, I think you're really cutting the ATS short. It's not like some POS that's just dynamically better. The entire package is very good - your subjective opinion notwithstanding.

Oh, boy please don't start it again. My opinion is just that, my opinion.

When it comes to luxury features, interior wise and ride quality, BMW is better designed, thought out, stylish, and has more room in the back. Everything that makes a car "luxury".

The presence of features does not make a luxury car (Kia Rio has them in spades), it's the execution.

I never for a second assumed ATS was a POS car, just that in the "luxury" category it lags behind the competition, and I would put the 3 FGCs ahead of the ATS. And I am not even talking about the new Lexus ES which I'm surprised didn't make the list. James loved it for its "luxury". It's exactly what a "luxury" car is supposed to be.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 10:33:15 am »
i may rank mine a little different, but i have no issues with the choices... for trucks, i've always liked the look of the ram more and the coil over rear suspension makes it ride better unloaded, so i go that route. but the ford is a good truck for sure.

i like that you did this... is not as fact based as your reviews (which they should be fact based)... this is more overall feel. just if YOU were chosing a car in the category, what you would choose. for someone with a similar mindset or needs, this is more useful than many reviews.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 10:39:54 am »

Oh, boy please don't start it again. My opinion is just that, my opinion.

When it comes to luxury features, interior wise and ride quality, BMW is better designed, thought out, stylish, and has more room in the back. Everything that makes a car "luxury".

The presence of features does not make a luxury car (Kia Rio has them in spades), it's the execution.

I never for a second assumed ATS was a POS car, just that in the "luxury" category it lags behind the competition, and I would put the 3 FGCs ahead of the ATS. And I am not even talking about the new Lexus ES which I'm surprised didn't make the list. James loved it for its "luxury". It's exactly what a "luxury" car is supposed to be.

The BMW has softer handling, less precise steering, it's bloated to the size of the previous 5 series, and has indifferent styling inside and out.

Slap a roundel on it though, and it's the bees knees isn't it? ::)
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 10:40:37 am »
I saw the news release on Marketwire! Loved the "venerable online magazine" line - venerable: commanding respect because of great age or dignity. I guess you qualify through your dignity?

Regardless, good list and great work guys, I really enjoy this site and the way you review. I hope autos.ca continues to gain in popularity so that you'll get first crack at whatever you want to review.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 10:43:47 am »
I saw the news release on Marketwire! Loved the "venerable online magazine" line - venerable: commanding respect because of great age or dignity. I guess you qualify through your dignity?

Regardless, good list and great work guys, I really enjoy this site and the way you review. I hope autos.ca continues to gain in popularity so that you'll get first crack at whatever you want to review.

Thanks! 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 10:45:26 am »
It's interesting that the press keeps picking the Fit, while the market mostly ignores it. I'd take a Fiesta, maybe in ST trim.

In fact, I'd pick the Fusion AWD over the Accord and the Escape 2.0L tubo over the CRV too.

As these things go though,it's a pretty good list. :thumbup:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 10:49:08 am »
It's interesting that the press keeps picking the Fit, while the market mostly ignores it.

But not the least bit surprising to those who own one.  That it continues to gather accolades when it is by far the senior citizen of a highly competitive segment is a noteworthy accomplishment.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 10:51:34 am »
It's interesting that the press keeps picking the Fit, while the market mostly ignores it. I'd take a Fiesta, maybe in ST trim.

In fact, I'd pick the Fusion AWD over the Accord and the Escape 2.0L tubo over the CRV too.

As these things go though,it's a pretty good list. :thumbup:

Sounds more like Honda biased to Ford biased. Same difference to me.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 11:06:01 am »
I'm in accord with the Accord ,FORD is cheap inside and issues with YOU TOUCH ME stuff!! :o 8) . Fit is Fab.Escape on the other hand is Ford's better answer to the CRV(MINUS TOUCHY FEEELY SCREEN),,

Where is the Toy Avalon here?   seriously nice value...and you know Artic is gonna be on yer arse worse than Harponi for NO ToyoBOTS.... ;D

their new slogan is "WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' ENGINEERS/DESIGNERS or COLOUR CO_ORDINATORS   BLAND IS THE NEW GANGAMAN"

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:08:52 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 11:15:34 am »
The BMW has softer handling, less precise steering, it's bloated to the size of the previous 5 series, and has indifferent styling inside and out.
Slap a roundel on it though, and it's the bees knees isn't it? ::)

Have you driven the new 3-series? I have. Softer doesn't mean soft, it's still more than competent. Bloated is welcome if there is no fuel economy penalty. I find the styling quite appealing. Your expectations are understandably high for a car labeled "the ultimate driving machine" so anything that even slightly deviates from the well entrenched "standards" gets a slap on the wrist.

Yet another player comes in with no history or preconceptions. Shows off its superior handling and all of a sudden the rest of the package becomes not important. Handling IS important for the segment but so is craftsmanship and attention to detail. You may put more weight on handling and competely ignore the rest as long as it's "adequate" or competitive. While I definitely want handling to be above mainstream (camcords and such), I put more weight on the overall package in the "luxury" category.

The issue I see is in the definition of the class of vehicles. Our definitions don't match and thus we may have exactly the same opinion about a particular car on its own merits but begin to disagree when we put them in specific context. We name it the same but the basis is different. I see the word "luxury", you see the word "sporty" - that's all.