Author Topic: First Drive: 2015 Subaru Legacy  (Read 24405 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2015 Subaru Legacy
« on: June 03, 2014, 06:31:04 am »

One gets the sense Subaru is proud of its 2015 Legacy'

Read More...

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
Re: First Drive: 2015 Subaru Legacy
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 07:53:40 am »
Still one of the best looking cars in their lineup.  The sheet metal is getting a look a little bit bulbous in some areas but nothing close to the current WRX.  Kudos to Subaru. 

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 08:41:59 am »
Heh... sad to say, the 1989 model shown looks better inside and out than the new one. Styling/design remains Subaru's albatross.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 08:53:00 am »
That $26,495 manual model sounds like a really good value. I'd like to see a "sport" model with perhaps larger wheels, sport suspension, etc, for about $30k.

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 09:20:50 am »
Shy of the front grill, it looks better than the outgoing model. Comparing this to a much older model doesn't make sense - realistically, they are in a different class - it would be more appropriate to compare an older model to a current Impreza as they're more comparable - size-wise.

Hopefully, they've figured out how bad the supplied aftermarket stereos were, and have addressed this with their in-house units (as has been stated in the article), but that they also propagate this out to other models. In time, I'd be curious to see how system updates go and that they aren't a mess like the old units, and are clearer than other manufacturers such as Ford.

I'm still waiting for a GT version to come out. An STi would be great, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 09:50:22 am »
the fuel numbers for the 3.6R look impressive, hopefully those will be close in the real world

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 10:25:14 am »
I'm still waiting for a GT version to come out. An STi would be great, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that.

Considering the previous GT was discontinued partway through the model cycle, I wouldn't hold my breath for that model either.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 10:39:38 am »
I had a live look at the new 2015 Legacy recently while at the dealer. In it's mild packaged level it's only marginally different IMO to the previous model.
The previous Legacy when paired with rims under 17" did appear to have awkwardly oversized fender arches but they looked great with the correct rims.
I guess the turbo is gone ?
As far as the fuel economy rating, they seem as most far fetched. I get 9.4 l/100 with mostly city driving in my 2.5L with CVT. They've rated the 3.6L better than that..hmm.
Glad to hear that they've addressed some concerns about some harshness especially over larger pot holes (as of late) albeit at the cost of body roll via softer springs.
I can attest having that Subaru's AWD only seems to get better comparing our 98 to 2010 variants. This car saved my bacon a few times this winter and mitigated my over exuberant snow\ice driving.
Of course I'm biased but feel that the Legacy is under rated by many and is worth a comparison by shoppers of the Accord, Camry, Sonata and Fusion to name a few.   
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 12:25:56 pm »
Of course I'm biased but feel that the Legacy is under rated by many and is worth a comparison by shoppers of the Accord, Camry, Sonata and Fusion to name a few.
Subaru's problem is getting people into the dealerships.  Most who want the plain-jane Camry/Accord/Fusion see Toyota/Honda/Ford as the top 3 brands and don't bother looking elsewhere.  Subaru has some serious marketing to do and then the vehicle should help itself sell in larger numbers.  It really is a nice car and the AWD should be a big bonus for we Canuckians and those 'Muricans just south of the border - now that fuel economy is addressed, there shouldn't be anything holding people back from considering the car unless they generally don't like Subaru (like all those haters who think that an oil change costs any more than it does in a Camry - by the way, it doesn't.  $60 in our Forester XT, which hasn't consumed a drop of oil in 3.5 years and 45,000km).

If I were in the market for a mid-size, I would 100% look at this and consider it over that hideous new Camry, stupidly cramped Mazda6, bulbous-and-boring Altima, and non-60/40-split Accord or the stupidly-equipped eco-bullsh!t, $40k+ Fusion.  None of that's to say I don't like the other cars, but those are the major downsides for me.  A loaded, $35k Subaru is a stellar deal to me with AWD, especially since the only other competitor is the Fusion.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 12:35:03 pm »
“The reality is that Subaru is currently producing the least offensive CVTs on the market. “ Haha! Great choice of words; poor CVT can't catch a break! ;D

I agree with others that this is by far a better looking effort, inside and out, than the previous gen-legacy, and glad to hear the H6 engine is now more economical. If you need AWD this would be a compelling value for sure.

Northernridge

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 12:59:38 pm »
I don't hate it but I do find the Legacy to be one of the least compelling Subarus.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 01:09:53 pm »
That $26,495 manual model sounds like a really good value. I'd like to see a "sport" model with perhaps larger wheels, sport suspension, etc, for about $30k.

I agree, that Touring 6MT trim is exceptionally good value. Depending on how well it drives, I may take that over the Mazda 6 GS which is $28k. Probably would be less if they didn't make the 6 speed automatic a no charge item.

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 01:22:28 pm »
Great to see we can still get the manual here in Canada (for the few of us who care)! BTW, our first oil change in our 2006 Forester was nearly $100 at the dealership in N Van. They seemed to think that was 'normal'. They also forgot to tighten the front wheels after brake servicing and seemed to think it was somehow impossible for them to do that (they did). Aside from those unfortunate dealer experiences, the car has been exceptional in most respects, particularly in winter months where the Subaru AWD pays for itself time and again. Best winter car ever but great on rough gravel backroads year round.

Offline Stilllovetrucks

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-19
    • View Profile
  • Cars: NOW: '07 F150 xlt, PREVIOUS: '99 S70, '97 Impreza, '92 Dakota, '98 Forester, '92 &amp; '99 Cherokees, '80 200sx, '87 Nissan pickup XE, '66 F-85
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 02:45:38 pm »
Their dealer network is by far and away their weakest link.........I'd like to see them advertise
for some new ones, as it can't be tough to package a franchise better than what exists;
 the cars are great, if somewhat generic.  Why are fwd cars listed as competitors?????
Lovin the TRUCK !!!

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 02:58:06 pm »
An interesting point when I talk to friends about Subaru Legacy and AWD. I assumed that potential buyers were comparing the Legacy to something like the AWD Fusion but it seems that many compare the Legacy to other vehicles namely Sante Fe AWD and other AWD vehicles solely based on price and content and not sedan vs SUV.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 03:01:11 pm »
“The reality is that Subaru is currently producing the least offensive CVTs on the market. “ Haha! Great choice of words; poor CVT can't catch a break! ;D

I agree with others that this is by far a better looking effort, inside and out, than the previous gen-legacy, and glad to hear the H6 engine is now more economical. If you need AWD this would be a compelling value for sure.

Sort of like being the tallest dwarf. Or being the one-haired man in the land of the bald.

Offline roundupready

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 03:10:24 pm »
I like.

Caus it's a Subaru.   ;D
---------------------------
2013 328 xDrive
2010 Legacy 3.6R LTD
2005 Legacy GT 5EAT Stage 2

Offline Mr. Legacy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2004 Toyota Sienna, 1998 & 2013 Subaru Legacy
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 03:19:07 pm »
As a Subaru nut, and also current owner of a '13 Legacy, I am sad - and glad - to see the Legacy go more mainstream and conservative in styling.  Gone is the "eccentric" but individualistic styling that made owning a Subaru unique, but I understand in order to gain more sales - they must appeal to the masses.

From 2010 models on, they enlarged the size, got more aggressive with styling, added new technologies (in particular the CVT), and got aggressive with the pricing.  So t does make sense for them to focus on refinement, after the slight success in the 2010-14 generation (I do see more of them on the road than in the past).

Subaru has always focused on the engineering and driving dynamics of the car; making them one of the best performing and most reliable cars on the market.  That is why Subaru fans are Subaru fans.  Not too many automotive brands have such a loyal following.  Now it's time to let everybody else to know what such a great cars Subarus are - that drivers like me have known all along.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 04:40:20 pm »
seems like a good value.... and i like some of the drivetrains available that seem hard to come by these days.

but the style really does nothing for me. i find it to be extremely boring. not for me looks wise, but functionality, i could see it being a smart purchase.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline DF

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 05:29:52 pm »
Wondering if they have eradicated the deadly head gasket problem yet? My seven year old Subaru Impreza is leaking engine oil now and it looks like it will cost over 2500.00 to repair!