Author Topic: Long-Term Test Arrival: 2016 Kia Sorento SX  (Read 17791 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
Re: Long-Term Test Arrival: 2016 Kia Sorento SX
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 02:39:57 pm »
the Jeep Overland starts at $59k, so if it's worth $30k, that's about the same 50% value as the Sorento (and the Sorento had more kms on it), which was only $38,500...as a bonus, the Sorento is still under warranty.

not sure how your example was suppose to prove your point, because it does just the opposite.

Actually in 2012 an Overland started at $50k http://www.autos.ca/jeep/buyers-guide-2012-jeep-grand-cherokee/3  So it does prove my point.  And the Kia was an EX Luxury 7 passenger which started at $39,695  http://www.autos.ca/jeep/buyers-guide-2012-jeep-grand-cherokee/3

Hey, I like the Sorento, my sister owns one... I helped her buy it, great bang for the buck!!  But after a few years of ownership it's just not worth as much as other manufacturers, RIGHT NOW!  One day it might be different, but currently they depreciate more than some of the other manufacturers.

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 03:19:20 pm »
Kia is getting there, I really dig the styling of most of their products. But not up to Honda/Toyota  levels of polish, refinement, and quality imo. They have a good value proposition at a discounted price verses the competition, but not even money.
their current product is comparable to Honda/Toyota in terms of reliability, and in many cases, Kia products will exceed its competition in terms of equipment level and value...also, i know several owners of Kia (and Hyundai) products, all of which have been positive (i own one of each personally as well)...they have been just as reliable as the Toyota and Honda products we've owned (and other people i know who've owned them) and have been better than the domestic products they replaced (one Hyundai owner owned a Civic previously, who then traded it in after 3 years of non-sense dealing with so many problems).

if you read the reviews of this new vehicle (Sorento), it gets very solid reviews, including a UK one where they compared it against the LR Discovery Sport (and picked the Kia as the one to get).

Kia/Hyundai have gone upmarket last few years.  Price/equipment advantage isn't there anymore.  Toyota and Honda models cost the same/less and still have better resale value.  Kia/Hyundai simply still can't compete on the lease front due to the lower RV still.  I'm sure that could change but that's not the case now.  Currently to clear out 2015s Honda gives a $3,000 incentive on the Accord, Toyota does $2,500 on the Camry while Hyundai has to do $5,000 on the Sonata.  To me that just means they priced that car too high to start with in the segment. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 04:37:21 pm »
Actually in 2012 an Overland started at $50k http://www.autos.ca/jeep/buyers-guide-2012-jeep-grand-cherokee/3  So it does prove my point.  And the Kia was an EX Luxury 7 passenger which started at $39,695  http://www.autos.ca/jeep/buyers-guide-2012-jeep-grand-cherokee/3
fair enough (about the Overland), but does that price include the features listed in the ad you linked (leather, NAV, etc)?

also, the Sorento you linked to on autotrader is a 5 seater, not a 7 seater.

as i said, comparing apples to apples, i'll say the difference in resale is minimal at best...as well, someone buying these units perhaps got 0% financing for 84 months for the Sorento and the Jeep buyer did 2.9% financing...that could amount to several thousand dollars more in cost as well.

When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 05:06:23 pm »
fair enough (about the Overland), but does that price include the features listed in the ad you linked (leather, NAV, etc)?

also, the Sorento you linked to on autotrader is a 5 seater, not a 7 seater.

as i said, comparing apples to apples, i'll say the difference in resale is minimal at best...as well, someone buying these units perhaps got 0% financing for 84 months for the Sorento and the Jeep buyer did 2.9% financing...that could amount to several thousand dollars more in cost as well.

depreciation on the Kia is huge...even compared to the JGC!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2015, 09:16:14 am »
The gap is narrowing as Kia/Hyundai have become more reliable, with good designs, and above average equipment.  It seems quite often, they price is close the competition with lower interest rates, then wait 6 months, and offer huge discounts.  I do think this Sorento is priced right. 

I do agree with others that Kia/Hyundai still have a ways to go for resale value.  Less of a concern for me, as I often buy used.  But brands with the best resale are Subaru, Toyota/Lexus, and Honda.  On average after 60 months, a Hyundai/Kia model is about 8% to 12% from a Japanese brand.   With the domestics, they are pretty close.  Unless your talking about full size cars like the Dodge Charger.

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Kia/Sorento/St+Catharines/Ontario/5_25514602_ON20071212112139827/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=4_15_9

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Edge/Innisfil/Ontario/5_25491592_ON20070723114304291/?ursrc=pl&urp=2&urm=7&showcpo=ShowCPO

Same year, same mileage, similar features, same price

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 10:38:24 am »
whether you like Kia or Hyundai products or not, one thing you can thank them for is forcing the hands of the competition to up their game...Corollas with LED lights, Civics with heated seats and NAV, etc...a few years ago, these were unheard of features in subcompacts, compacts, and even in mid trim mid-size vehicles...features that were exclusive to top trim mid-size and luxury brands are now becoming common place in subcompacts...a win-win for consumers.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 10:59:01 am »
whether you like Kia or Hyundai products or not, one thing you can thank them for is forcing the hands of the competition to up their game...Corollas with LED lights, Civics with heated seats and NAV, etc...a few years ago, these were unheard of features in subcompacts, compacts, and even in mid trim mid-size vehicles...features that were exclusive to top trim mid-size and luxury brands are now becoming common place in subcompacts...a win-win for consumers.

Strongly agree.  And I have no dislike of Hyundai or Kias.  Father has an Entourage, sister in law has a new Santa Fe.  I try to keep an open mind. 

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2015, 01:06:39 pm »
I wonder what the depreciation will be like on a $78,000 Kia? And is a K900 the Keurig Edition?  ;D

http://www.gokia.ca/inventory/search/?stock_type=NEW&make_name=Kia&model_name=K900
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Long-Term Test Arrival: 2016 Kia Sorento SX
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2015, 01:21:53 pm »

The gap is narrowing as Kia/Hyundai have become more reliable, with good designs, and above average equipment.  It seems quite often, they price is close the competition with lower interest rates, then wait 6 months, and offer huge discounts.  I do think this Sorento is priced right. 

I do agree with others that Kia/Hyundai still have a ways to go for resale value.  Less of a concern for me, as I often buy used.  But brands with the best resale are Subaru, Toyota/Lexus, and Honda.  On average after 60 months, a Hyundai/Kia model is about 8% to 12% from a Japanese brand.   With the domestics, they are pretty close.  Unless your talking about full size cars like the Dodge Charger.

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Kia/Sorento/St+Catharines/Ontario/5_25514602_ON20071212112139827/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=4_15_9

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Edge/Innisfil/Ontario/5_25491592_ON20070723114304291/?ursrc=pl&urp=2&urm=7&showcpo=ShowCPO

EX compares to the Limited, not SEL.

And the Edge is FWD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2015, 02:59:42 pm »
I wonder what the depreciation will be like on a $78,000 Kia? And is a K900 the Keurig Edition?  ;D

http://www.gokia.ca/inventory/search/?stock_type=NEW&make_name=Kia&model_name=K900
No facking way $78gs  :o

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2015, 04:44:57 pm »

EX compares to the Limited, not SEL.

And the Edge is FWD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry guys, was going through many Edges, didnt notice the lack of AWD.  Since most people opt for it anyway.  And since there is an EX+, I thought that was more in line with the Limited... But I think you get the idea..

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2015, 05:39:57 pm »
i visited the Kia dealership this afternoon and we took out an LX+ (we'd buy the EX though) as they only had one LX+ and one SX in stock...i was wondering if the new Sorento drove any different (better) than the Sante Fe we drove, and was also curious if the 2.0T engine was strong enough for a vehicle this size/weight...the test drive was quite interesting.

the vehicle drives MUCH better than i was expecting...it handles road imperfections very nicely, and the ride is luxury smooth...i was actually quite surprised at how good it was...the engine felt just fine for regular driving, and when i gave it some beans to see how it would be for some brisk acceleration, it was quite strong...i think if the need for a V6 isn't there (you don't need to tow, nor would you regularly load this thing to the hilt), the 2.0T suits it very well...the torque comes on strong and early, so everyday driving is quite nice in it...the doors close with a solid feel, the cabin is quiet while on the road, and it drives very car like...i wouldn't say sporty, but like a touring car...it felt like it could eat the miles very easily and be a very comfortable ride...rear seat room behind us was also decent, and the cargo area was also quite generous.

my wife drove her father's Cadillac SRX several times (he no longer has it) and she said the Sorento drove more like a "Cadillac" than the Cadillac did...for those in the market of a vehicle in this class, seriously, drive this vehicle...it's damn good...good enough to buy with your own money, you say??...it is very possible we will buy one in the next few weeks...it's that good.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2015, 05:50:50 pm »
Great to hear, thanks for the feedback.  The EX trim looks like the best value overall.  But I would need the V6 for towing.  I haven't looked at the interest rates for used Kia's before.  Most of the time, the average is 2.9 to 3.9%  But sometimes, Toyota and Honda have like 0.9% and 1.9% on CPO. 

When I was researching this, I also looked up the Borrego.  Bad timing for that vehicle.  A body on frame SUV with a V6 or V8, as everybody was going unibody...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2015, 05:57:15 pm »
Thanks for the review.

I was looking at the cargo specs, the Sorento is listed at 38 cubic feet, while our CR-V is 37.  I thought the difference would be greater.  For reference the Highlander is 42, MDX 45, and new Pilot 48.  I guess the Sorento is somewhere in between most compacts and the mid-size CUVs.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2015, 09:30:13 pm »
Great to hear, thanks for the feedback.  The EX trim looks like the best value overall.  But I would need the V6 for towing.
i too think the EX is kind of the sweet spot...has pretty much all the toys (aside from NAV, premium audio, premium leather/Nappa, power passenger seat (?) and panoramic roof)...you can add the V6 and 7 passenger config for $1100 (EX V6 is the trim), so not too bad...i know you were talking about used, but the new units currently have $1000 off plus 0%/84 months.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2015, 09:47:56 pm »
Thanks for the review.

I was looking at the cargo specs, the Sorento is listed at 38 cubic feet, while our CR-V is 37.  I thought the difference would be greater.  For reference the Highlander is 42, MDX 45, and new Pilot 48.  I guess the Sorento is somewhere in between most compacts and the mid-size CUVs.
i haven't been in a new CR-V, but the Sorento looks pretty spacious inside...not Suburban spacious, but it seemed pretty good...i looked online to get more information on the specifications and found the following.

the CRV has similar cargo ratings to the Sorento (like you mentioned), but when you look at the "Passenger Volume", the Sorento is quite a bit larger...the CR-V is 2873L for the Touring trim...the Sorento EX is 4145L for the 5 seater version...that's 45% MORE space...that's pretty significant.

the MDX has the larger cargo specs as well (like you mentioned above), but the passenger volume is also listed as 3747L, so again, a fair amount smaller than the Sorento.

the Highlander doesn't seem to list the overall passenger volume, but the Pilot is listed at 4296, so similar in size to the Sorento (with the Pilot being slightly larger).

again, i'm not really sure how all these measurements are made so i don't know how "accurate" they may be, but from looking at it, i thought it was a pretty decent size (certainly for what we need).

but what surprised me the most was the drive...it's a Kia, so it has a lot of nice features of course, but they really improved the ride on this new vehicle...most of the reviews all speak highly of its improvements, and after driving it, i can attest to those statements...i'm sure if you REALLY nit pick, you can obviously find faults, but keep things in perspective...for about $35k (EX trim), it's a really well done vehicle.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2015, 09:58:21 pm »
Interesting.  Honestly I wish Kia had sacrificed some passenger volume for more cargo volume.  With a large dog and frequent trips out of town we are looking for more cargo volume for our next vehicle.  I'll probably still have a look at it when the time comes.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2015, 11:19:44 pm »
Interesting.  Honestly I wish Kia had sacrificed some passenger volume for more cargo volume.  With a large dog and frequent trips out of town we are looking for more cargo volume for our next vehicle.  I'll probably still have a look at it when the time comes.

Just the keep the 3rd row down all the time...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2015, 11:23:06 pm »
Great to hear, thanks for the feedback.  The EX trim looks like the best value overall.  But I would need the V6 for towing.
i too think the EX is kind of the sweet spot...has pretty much all the toys (aside from NAV, premium audio, premium leather/Nappa, power passenger seat (?) and panoramic roof)...you can add the V6 and 7 passenger config for $1100 (EX V6 is the trim), so not too bad...i know you were talking about used, but the new units currently have $1000 off plus 0%/84 months.

Doesn't matter what brand it is, I don't buy new, and won't go over 48 months.  Mostly, it's the lack of budget I have.  And since I am not in a hurry, I will have plenty of options in a couple of years...

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2015, 11:43:07 pm »
substantial video review from Alex on Auto - his winner of the 2016 best CUV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4MtD6fjiFU