Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1068508 times)

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1143
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #3300 on: April 23, 2015, 06:26:43 am »
Yes, horrible news, I hope she will recover quickly.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #3301 on: April 23, 2015, 06:32:10 am »
I can deal with screwing up on my mountain bike and getting injured, but hate the thought of being taken out by a careless motorist on my road bike. Luckily, we've got some pretty good paved bike trails around here and I try to minimize my time on the road.

Same here. 

What a terrible story, MWQA!  :(   I am so very glad that your sister will be okay.  Did the driver get charged?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3302 on: April 23, 2015, 06:54:43 am »
Wow, horrible news man. I hope she recovers quickly and back to 100%

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #3303 on: April 23, 2015, 10:54:19 am »
What a terrible story, MWQA!  :(   I am so very glad that your sister will be okay.  Did the driver get charged?

Well, my Mother talked to the police and they sobered up about investigating the accident when they found out that my sister was in intensive care. At this point, I haven't heard anything about charges being laid.

Living in an area where everyone knows everyone else, my Mother was able to find out quite a lot about the driver from one of her friends. She's a seventy year old woman who lost her husband to Alzheimer's a couple of years ago. Someone who you'd avoid on the street because if you said hello, you'd be stuck for 20 minutes talking. Quite a nervous, lonely person according to my Mother. My Mother has a lot of sympathy for her.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3304 on: April 25, 2015, 05:24:15 pm »
After missing a few days as riding in the cold temps with nasty winds has lost its value, I finally got back out there gain. Felt a little sluggish but it was a nice ride.

Rode one of the loops that I usually do in the opposite direction and found it interesting on how different it felt.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: May 01, 2015, 08:09:42 pm »
New month so here is April's wheel. Best April since I've been using Strava.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3306 on: May 01, 2015, 10:33:36 pm »
Same here, 648 plus the 62 that did not record for a total of 710. Not bad considering the poor weather and winds.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: May 02, 2015, 07:01:04 am »
Same here, 648 plus the 62 that did not record for a total of 710. Not bad considering the poor weather and winds.

Very true. Looks like we both put in some hard, cold and windy miles last month. :thumbup:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3308 on: May 02, 2015, 09:43:01 am »
mwqa - so very sorry to hear about your sister and I hope she makes a speedy recovery.  I ride almost exclusively in the early mornings, and nothing freaks me out more than riding into the rising sun.  In fact, I try to plan my routes so that happens as little as possible.

quad and snowy - I freaking hate you both.  :banghead: Okay, not really, just very jealous of the number of times you get out in a month.  I got up into the country for the first time this morning - just a gorgeous day for a ride.  Feeling fat and slow from a long and inactive winter, but working on it.

quad that is some crazy elevation over that distance.

Snowy - you gotta to show me your route for getting way the eff north of Milton.  And I need that how to clean the oily bits instruction session soonish.  :-[
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 09:45:19 am by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: May 02, 2015, 10:54:04 am »
mwqa - so very sorry to hear about your sister and I hope she makes a speedy recovery.  I ride almost exclusively in the early mornings, and nothing freaks me out more than riding into the rising sun.  In fact, I try to plan my routes so that happens as little as possible.

quad and snowy - I freaking hate you both.  :banghead: Okay, not really, just very jealous of the number of times you get out in a month.  I got up into the country for the first time this morning - just a gorgeous day for a ride.  Feeling fat and slow from a long and inactive winter, but working on it.

Snowy - you gotta to show me your route for getting way the eff north of Milton.  And I need that how to clean the oily bits instruction session soonish.  :-[

Yeah, there are local construction and safety issues with Steeles tying to get North of Miltion. Its best to head west along Lower Base Line then up Bell School Line the west again on Brittannia. We should head out for a ride when you get your legs back  :)

Up 6th line then east on Steeles and back up 6th is safe on the weekends but the traffic during the week is brutal on Steeles. Ive come close to being hit by transports a few times so I give up. Even Strava has that segment listed as hazardous.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:01:20 am by Snowman »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: May 02, 2015, 11:20:12 am »

I wasn't joking when I said its very hilly here. Hard to find a long flat section on most of my rides and I hardly notice 1-2% grades anymore. If you ever want to come out for a ride let me know as I can design a lot of routes what ever kind of ride you want.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3311 on: May 02, 2015, 11:28:14 am »

I wasn't joking when I said its very hilly here. Hard to find a long flat section on most of my rides and I hardly notice 1-2% grades anymore. If you ever want to come out for a ride let me know as I can design a lot of routes what ever kind of ride you want.

I would love to - but you seem to have forgotten how badly I suck on hills  :P.  My dream ride is 60km all downhill - preferably with a tail wind.  :rofl2:  I'll definitely hook up with you and snowy once I get into decent riding shape.  Shouldn't take me as long as last year - I didn't even get my road bike until June.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: May 02, 2015, 11:31:52 am »

I would love to - but you seem to have forgotten how badly I suck on hills  :P.  My dream ride is 60km all downhill - preferably with a tail wind.  :rofl2:  I'll definitely hook up with you and snowy once I get into decent riding shape.  Shouldn't take me as long as last year - I didn't even get my road bike until June.

You would be fine out here and I don't mind waiting for you. Plus riding here will only make you a stronger rider.. If you have a gravel grinder we could just take the Rail Trail to Paris, have coffee then take it back. "Easy" 50k ride.

In the USA there is a 100 mile event that is mostly downhill. I must do that some day.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: May 02, 2015, 11:35:48 am »

You would be fine out here and I don't mind waiting for you. Plus riding here will only make you a stronger rider.. If you have a gravel grinder we could just take the Rail Trail to Paris, have coffee then take it back. "Easy" 50k ride.

In the USA there is a 100 mile event that is mostly downhill. I must do that some day.

Sounds good my man, we'll work something out.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #3314 on: May 02, 2015, 11:45:18 am »

Sounds good my man, we'll work something out.

Count me in, I'll try and keep up.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3315 on: May 02, 2015, 09:02:58 pm »
^^^ Sounds good!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: May 02, 2015, 10:32:32 pm »
OK...I'll try to find a day that we all can ride the C2P Rail Trail. If anybody finds it too easy I know a different way back that is a mix of gravel and paved back roads. I will say that I enjoy riding the rail trail as its relaxing and fun.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: May 02, 2015, 10:50:03 pm »
Did the 120 km ride today with some new cycling friends. Although I was sent a copy of the map before hand you really never know how hard it will be until you get out there.

The guy that created the route did an amazing job and had a mix of everything in it. Short climbs, long climbs, stupid hard climb (RattleSnake), crazy descents, rollers, gravel grinding and a few kms of not as rolling terrain.

I can honestly say that on some sections I felt like I was very far away. Quiet back roads that were tree lined and beautiful views.

Mileage for today...

Ride to start 15 kms + Actual ride 120 kms (w/1,087 meters of climbing) + Ride home 12.0 kms
Total: 147 kms

I think I burned a few calories today.  ;D

@ Snowman -- You could have joined us and split off after the climb up RattleSnake. You would have been fine. Next time.

Route goes counter clock wise.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: May 03, 2015, 08:26:24 am »
Did the 120 km ride today with some new cycling friends. Although I was sent a copy of the map before hand you really never know how hard it will be until you get out there.

The guy that created the route did an amazing job and had a mix of everything in it. Short climbs, long climbs, stupid hard climb (RattleSnake), crazy descents, rollers, gravel grinding and a few kms of not as rolling terrain.

I can honestly say that on some sections I felt like I was very far away. Quiet back roads that were tree lined and beautiful views.

Mileage for today...

Ride to start 15 kms + Actual ride 120 kms (w/1,087 meters of climbing) + Ride home 12.0 kms
Total: 147 kms

I think I burned a few calories today.  ;D

@ Snowman -- You could have joined us and split off after the climb up RattleSnake. You would have been fine. Next time.

Route goes counter clock wise.

Wow....nice looking ride....but 147 k  :fall: Yeah, I would do that next time.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #3319 on: May 03, 2015, 01:06:26 pm »
Got in 20 km of hard trail riding today. Ran into a group from the Durham Mountain Biking Association (DMBA) and rode along for most of it. Great group of people. I bought a membership when I got home and will likely ride with them going forward. Always more fun (and safer) to ride with a group than alone.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.