Author Topic: Three wheeled toys?  (Read 2600 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Three wheeled toys?
« on: September 25, 2016, 07:44:56 pm »
Hi think this belongs here.

I rode my friends can am today.   Interesting ride.   Very soft and kind of feels like an ATV or snowmobile when you turn.

Surprising amount of vibration through the legs,  but other than that smooth.

Tip tronic semi automatic transmission with reverse.   It automatically down shifts but you have to up shift.

Pretty comfy and quite.   Wind noise is super low.  Heck at 100 it was. Less windy then I feel on my bike at 60.

Interesting toy,  oddly was fun.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Three wheeled toys?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 07:52:00 pm »
I've never ridden one of these things, but just don't see the appeal. Can't you get a decent Miata for the price of one of these? And of course you could get any number of proper motorcycles.

Basically, I see these the same way I see quads for off-road riding: a lame toy for punters who don't have the skills to ride a real motorcycle.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 07:54:45 pm »
I once wrote a very terse review of one of those on this site. I was unimpressed on a number of levels. The new edition with defeatable TC and a proper clutch has me intrigued though. That might actually be worthwhile riding.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 08:04:36 pm »
His wife refused to ride on a 2 wheeled vehicle so this was a compromise.  His plan is to buy a real bike when she never sits on it anyways.  LOL kind of solid.

I think she is getting her license and he can get a real bike.  But it is interesting for what it is.  Feel really weird though when turning in.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 08:13:48 pm »
Basically, I see these the same way I see quads for off-road riding: a lame toy for punters who don't have the skills to ride a real motorcycle.
^This. I see a bunch of these ridden around by tourists and rednecks around here (unfortunately, all over the road across centre sometimes) and am rather put off by them. "Can't ride the real thing" comes to my mind.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 08:34:04 pm »
All so judgmental.  :P What if it's physical limitations that force someone to ride one?  ???

What? I dunno, got a quad, where we've gone you'd never get through with a bike. And certainly not a Jeep either. Some things are designed for a purpose...though I'd love a bike too. 

But, I don't like those 3 wheelers either...if I can't ride on two, give me 4.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 10:07:07 pm »
^^ Yeah, I remember reading a review written by a guy who had given up riding because of some medical issue (lost a leg, maybe ??? ). Anyway, no quarrel with that, but what percentage of owners of these things does that apply to?

Same with quads or ATVs: great tool for farming/hunting/working in the bush, but if you want a toy, get a bike.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 10:26:02 pm »
Thing is, the only brake is a foot brake, so if you've lost your left leg you might be okay but if it's your right you'll be screwed.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 10:45:53 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXnYWpccAkU

I thought this review summed it up pretty well.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 03:12:34 pm »
I don't like these buy it may be the only way to go riding with my wife outside the bedroom.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 08:52:44 am »
I rode a first gen Spyder at a test ride event at Americade quite a few years ago.  I rode a manual, not an auto.  I definitely felt a lot different from the bike, because it doesn't lean at all.  You just shift your butt left or right on the seat.  What really felt weird was the linked brakes with only a foot pedal, no brake lever on the handle bar.  I actually didn't mind riding it.  We got the last time slot of the day, we got to ride them with a bit of "enthusiasm" shall we say... ;)
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson