Author Topic: Quick Spin: 2014 Kia Sorento  (Read 4371 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Quick Spin: 2014 Kia Sorento
« on: June 12, 2013, 06:31:29 am »

Peter Bleakney finds the 2014 Sorento much improved for its primary duties of shuttling the family around.

Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: Quick Spin: 2014 Kia Sorento
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 11:34:55 am »
..."Like almost every Korean vehicle you can name, the steering lacks a meaningful sense of connection, but again, it’s not a deal breaker."...Speak for yourself. This is the last piece of the puzzle IMO keeping the Korean cars from surpassing many of the Japanese counterparts in order to edge closer to the German name plates.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 12:28:17 pm »
"New for 2014 is an available third row..."

Are you sure about that? I recall sitting in the 3rd row of a Sorento SX at the Toronto Autoshow in 2010. May the split in the 3rd row is new for 2014?

Offline Woodyism

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
  • Drive it like your renting it!!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '11 Kia Sorento SX - '11 Kia Sportage SX
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 01:20:20 pm »
Woohoo, my kinda vehicle, love this one and hope to trade up at some point.  Currently have the 2011 SX version and yes this car has had three rows since its redesign.  It may have been available in certain trim packages only, which may have changed for the new one.

So far I have 45k miles of driving bliss.  The new interior is very similar to the outgoing model, supposedly all the changes were made to the chassis and suspension. Kia really listens to the journalist complaints and adresses them. The third row is suitable for kids and adults, in my opinion.

I know everyone complains about the handling, but I have no issues, find it a little 'heavy' on the highway and pretty light in parking lots, almost a perfect combination.  I may not be an expert on this sort of thing so take it for what it's worth. The other previous complaints were 'stiff ride, feel every pothole'.  I prefer stiff rides and to slice and dice on the poor roads.  And the gas mileage is on the traditional Kia poor side.  I would say I average 20.0 to 21.0 US mpg (sorry I don't know the l/km equivalent) on my commute to the airport and back (60km), doing the 407 standard mph (read 30-40 over)  ;). Not stellar, but not horrible, I refuse to hypermile or drive to conserve fuel. Oh yea, the A-B and C pillars are too large, but use your mirrors folks, that's why they are there. I feel it's the price of good design. Schreyer is the king.

I cross shopped this with the Journey, Outlander and Equinox.  Outlander is way smaller, and the third row was really for kids only. The Equinox is alot bigger, would have been real tight in the garage and i'm not a fan of Chevy vehicles, I have memories of 80's Impalas and Parisiennes.  The Dodge was close, it looked good, price wasn't crazy, the questionable reliability (although some would say the same about Kia), alot of it was Kia offered a lot more value.

Bought used over the border so a good deal was had.  And so far no gremlins, knock on wood.
Cheers

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 02:50:45 pm »
I think its a great looking little SUV, in this class Id be stuck between this a Grand Cherokee.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline canbra

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current: 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 06:03:33 pm »
Price-wise, the Jeep GC starts where the Sorento top trim is, no? I mean, there may be a bit of overlap, but would there really be many folks cross-shopping those two?

Of course the off-road skills of the GC are no contest here (although, arguably the real 4x4 comes on much higher GC trims than the base Laredo), but on the other hand, these utes are driven mostly on asphalt, so I guess not many people would consider that the deciding factor on the purchase.

To me at least, a 5-seater that eventually serves as a 7-seater for when the grandparents are in and I can throw the kids on the back row fits much better than a pure 5-seater.

This new Sorento looks like a very nice replacement for my wife's Dodge Journey in the next year or so.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 12:42:29 am »
"My two-day quick spin in this 2014 Sorento SX AWD 7-Seater used 10.8 L/100 km of regular fuel."

Not sure what the city/highway mix was, but this sounds quite good for a 7 seater AWD that probably doesn't have many kms. under it's belt yet...
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline GS

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-3
  • Love to drive and motorcycle
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 RSX, 2014 Forte, 2015 Yamaha FZ6R
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 08:04:54 am »
..."Like almost every Korean vehicle you can name, the steering lacks a meaningful sense of connection, but again, it’s not a deal breaker."...Speak for yourself. This is the last piece of the puzzle IMO keeping the Korean cars from surpassing many of the Japanese counterparts in order to edge closer to the German name plates.
I agree with Peter.  The KIA steering isn't a deal breaker.  Sure it's not direct like in my RSX, but if I put our new Forte in "Sport" mode I can still enjoy a drive through the twisties.  That's acceptable to me.  My wife prefers the "Normal" mode.

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 10:00:15 am »
Very nice looking in white.
I just wish Kia would use something other than all black on the interiors.