Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Scion xB Release Series 9.0  (Read 4236 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Scion xB Release Series 9.0
« on: November 06, 2012, 06:07:27 am »

The Scion xB "is mediocre as a car, but makes a great fashion statement," says Jonathan Yarkony.

Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Scion xB Release Series 9.0
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 10:03:47 am »
This once funky car seems long in the tooth now and really needs a real ground up makeover or complete dissolution. Outside of the FR-S Scion seems boring and in typical Toyota fashion waits to long for change. The wrong approach for the young market they're trying to capture I.M.O.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Sammy70

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 10:40:48 am »
This car may have looked "hip" at one point, but now it just looks sad. The only thing going for it is the promise of Toyota's reliability, but the competition walks all over it in most other aspects.

On another note, the dashboard dials are overlapping circles, not "concentric" ones like the review says  :)

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 11:20:51 am »
   I don't dislike this vehicle and find the difference refreshing in a sea of globular products. The instrument cluster is a little strange and being central on the dash a no-no for many but for ease of reading the speedo (the most refered to instrument) is good IMO. Have never had a digital read out for this but might like it,,,I don't know. Personally I think the large round speedo in about the same location as the digits here is prefferable...like the Mini. It does not have to be on the centerline of the car. Smaller gas and temp are easier to locate along side.
   Personally steel wheels with a hub cap/dish whatever, might be prefferable to some...as long as they are the same size as alloy offering. At least the brakes are hidden from view when you approach your vehicle...not to remind you that they seem to need $700 dollars spent on them at every second oil change...at least on other more expensive make that one has aquaintance with. Ah well...the price of progress.
   I much prefer a column shift with automatic. If column shifts had not been used before and one was introduced we would all be wowing at the space created. Standard shift would be better where it is. I suppose a Soul is a competitor but would personally opt for a Rondo or Mazda5 in prefference since price diff is minor is it not...I know...I know, a different category.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 12:48:45 pm »
I looked at this before buying my Soul and after a years ownership don't regret my purchase.  I also read that xB and xD vehicle is going be cancelled in the not too distant future.  Here's my Soul, just slightly more in cost than the this xB you just tested.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:53:07 pm by conwelpic »

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 12:54:32 pm »
Yeah, sweet car I like the color. Just took delivery hey.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 01:00:04 pm »
Yeah, sweet car I like the color. Just took delivery hey.

thanks my wife picked it, but I did say after a years ownership  ;D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:07:55 pm by conwelpic »

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 10:25:26 pm »
 Yep...That's the answer to this antiquated, centre dash POC...Kia Soul...Love the car..I second that emotion about the color...and nice wheels..For that 22+ grand the Toyota comes with steelies...and a 4 speed auto(maybe the only one left)...Nice photo too    Thanks  Jack

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 10:03:42 am »
I liked the xB when it first came out.  It used to have a 'cool' factor, at least in my eyes.  The powerplant was smaller and cheaper on gas.  Were I in the market for this thing I would want the smaller engine...I'm not sure if that's still an option or not.  I saw the original model as a kind of hipster car for young people who just got out of college, landed their first job and live an active lifestyle.  I'm not sure if the sentiment remains with this iteration.  Those same people would now much rather drive the less practical but much cooler FR-S...and so would I.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 02:21:07 pm »
Yep...That's the answer to this antiquated, centre dash POC...Kia Soul...Love the car..I second that emotion about the color...and nice wheels..For that 22+ grand the Toyota comes with steelies...and a 4 speed auto(maybe the only one left)...Nice photo too    Thanks  Jack

thanks Jack, it also came with a power sunroof, 8 speaker Infinity sound system with subwoofer, UVO infotainment system with back up camera (wife loves that), and that 2.0L 164 hp engine with the 6-spd is a nice powerful unit, no problems passing on the 401, feels like you are driving a much larger car from behind the wheel.  Here's my dash:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 02:51:17 pm »
They should've brought the original xB to Canada, that thing was sweet. The new one is too big and uses too much gas.