Author Topic: Accident in USA with a rental - insurance effects?  (Read 4018 times)

Offline JoeFresh

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda Micra
Accident in USA with a rental - insurance effects?
« on: June 12, 2015, 04:37:19 pm »
I'm from Ontario and I was on a trip in BC. While I was there, I went to the US briefly in an Enterprise rental car. I was involved in an accident on an interstate there. A transport truck hit a car while merging, the car spiraled and landed in my lane which I then collided into (luckily no one involved was hurt beyond some bruises and such).

My questions relate to how this accident affects things in Ontario. I don't have my own car or insurance in Ontario, though I am occasionally added as a driver to my parent's insurance when I visit them. Everything related to this accident went through Washington State police, Enterprise and ICBC - my parent's insurance was not involved nor was I an active driver on theirs at the time.

Do I need to report this to my parents' insurance if I am added again at some point?
Are these kind of things automatically communicated between these agencies? Is the incident attached to my driver's license or something?
Even though I'm not at fault, will it still result in some sort of change to premiums for my parents if I am added again? What about if I get my own insurance one day - will mine be higher as a result of this accident?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Accident in USA with a rental - insurance effects?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 11:16:28 pm »
Obtain a copy of the Accident Report from the State Police for record purposes and then forget about.  In other words, let sleeping dogs lie.  :)