Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Nissan Pathfinder  (Read 14965 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2013 Nissan Pathfinder
« on: October 16, 2012, 06:05:54 am »

Summary.

Read More...

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2013 Nissan Pathfinder
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 08:46:11 am »
That is NOT a Pathfinder Nissan  :rofl2:
It also looks like a last gen Santa Fe from the Side.

Northernridge

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:27:38 am »
...or a Traverse, or a slightly taller Outback. It's almost like there is a NASCAR-like template for CUVs that manufacturers must conform to design-wise.

Still, I think this Pathfinder is well priced and will probably sell.

I have fond memories of our old Paths...here's one of them:

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 09:34:21 am »
Good thing there's a couple of jumbo Nissan badges on the grille & rump otherwise i'd have no clue who made that big blobby thing.
Agree it will sell though.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 09:47:13 am »
Good thing there's a couple of jumbo Nissan badges on the grille & rump otherwise i'd have no clue who made that big blobby thing.
Agree it will sell though.

I find it very attractive EXCEPT for the fugly front end with the silly grill and headlights.
It will sell well based on price and utility alone.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 10:02:07 am »
...or a Traverse, or a slightly taller Outback. It's almost like there is a NASCAR-like template for CUVs that manufacturers must conform to design-wise.

I agree. I liked my '03 very much and would probably still be driving one if they hadn't f^*ked up the 05 generation so much. I also think this is well priced and will sell but it's of little interest to me as I have no need for a 3rd row. I fact I wish they'd build a vehicle this size and make the back seat higher with more leg room for true 5 passenger comfort and good cargo capacity
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 10:12:05 am »

I agree 100% with that. I couldnt pick that out in a busy parking lot. Used to be a fan of the Pathfinder before 05.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Whofan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 10:16:51 am »
I thought it was the wrong picture and it was a Minivan :)

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 10:29:12 am »
I agree with the ugly front grill. Looks like the designer just got tired of designing the rims and just drew a few straight lines for the grill.  Direct front view reminds me of the Kia Sorento.

The price looks pretty darn good for the features like around view camera and dvd entertainment system on the Platinum trim level, though.  Another one on my list :)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 10:43:54 am »
I agree with the ugly front grill. Looks like the designer just got tired of designing the rims and just drew a few straight lines for the grill.  Direct front view reminds me of the Kia Sorento.

The price looks pretty darn good for the features like around view camera and dvd entertainment system on the Platinum trim level, though.  Another one on my list :)

It is funny, I drove this vehicle the week after the 6 CUV comparison.  I kept telling myself 'Damn, all this vehicle for the same money as most of the small CUVs in that comparison?'  Dollar for dollar this is on par with the Ford Escape Titanium.  There isn't a single feature in the titanium that the Pathfinder doesn't have other than the foot wagging power trunk (the Pathfinders power trunk is still button operated) and MFT.  However, the Pathfinder's self parking can park parallel and into a conventional spot where as the Escape is parallel only.   The only real difference will be fuel economy, but I bet in the real world it won't be that great.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 10:45:02 am »
Nissan needed this product.  The unibody SUV market is very profitable and generates big money for Toyota, Honda, etc.  The Highlander and Pilot are almost ubiquitous in suburban neighbourhoods.  They're the vehicle of choice for many that don't want a mini-van.  Well, many families have a van AND one of those.

The Murano filled the spot, but only barely.

My thinking?  Drop the X-Terra.  Sell basically the same vehicle as the Pathfinder.  Maybe stretch it a bit, but not much.

This new Highlander competitor could be sold as the new Murano.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 10:47:26 am »
Nissan needed this product.  The unibody SUV market is very profitable and generates big money for Toyota, Honda, etc.  The Highlander and Pilot are almost ubiquitous in suburban neighbourhoods.  They're the vehicle of choice for many that don't want a mini-van.  Well, many families have a van AND one of those.

My thinking?  Drop the X-Terra.  Sell basically the same vehicle as the Pathfinder.  Maybe stretch it a bit, but not much.

Nissan used the term 'Minivan Alternative' several times during the presentation.  Me thinks the horribly poor selling Quest's days are numbered.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 11:02:25 am »

Of course they needed it, the MSUV(minivan sport utility vehicle) market is on fire and the Murano being its only competitive offering Nissan was losing out. I dont like the fact it lost its selectable 4x4 and that they say you can tow 2273Kg(5000Lb) with it, that much weight on a CVT, youre a braver man than I.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 11:12:08 am »
Good overview, one quibble though:  "...it is actually a bit longer, wider and shorter. ..."  How can it be both longer and shorter?  Maybe you mean it is less tall than than the outgoing Pathy?  Just a bit confusing the way it is worded.

As for the actual vehicle, having owned a 2002 for a few years and many kms, I think this is a good move for Nissan.  As the article mentions, if you need off-road, then they have better options.  It is unfortunate that not a single styling cue was carried over, such as the higher mounted rear door handle.  Oh well, a complete clean sheet can be a good thing.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 11:12:32 am »
I dont like the fact it lost its selectable 4x4 and that they say you can tow 2273Kg(5000Lb) with it, that much weight on a CVT, youre a braver man than I.

I can't imagine that being a good idea.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 11:14:18 am »
Good overview, one quibble though:  "...it is actually a bit longer, wider and shorter. ..."  How can it be both longer and shorter?  Maybe you mean it is less tall than than the outgoing Pathy?  Just a bit confusing the way it is worded.

As for the actual vehicle, having owned a 2002 for a few years and many kms, I think this is a good move for Nissan.  As the article mentions, if you need off-road, then they have better options.  It is unfortunate that not a single styling cue was carried over, such as the higher mounted rear door handle.  Oh well, a complete clean sheet can be a good thing.

Yeah, I meant height.  The wording is bad, sorry.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 11:18:03 am »
When is Honda and Nissan going to come up with a changer for the Venza? the Outback is close but does not have the same ergonomics IMO

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 11:21:37 am »
So the new Pathfinder, is it just a Infinity JX without all the fancy gear on it??

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 11:27:09 am »
So the new Pathfinder, is it just a Infinity JX without all the fancy gear on it??

Pretty much, and a different, more beefier chain-belt CVT

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 11:29:11 am »

Pretty much, and a different, more beefier chain-belt CVT

Because i really like the JX and really, they could have tried a little with the styling, this thing is so presidents choice CUV it hurts. Its not offensive, but really, doesnt make the old heart flutter.