Author Topic: Auto Tech: Aluminum in the Ford F-150  (Read 4172 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: Aluminum in the Ford F-150
« on: December 15, 2014, 06:24:14 am »

The nitty-gritty of getting aluminum into the new F-150.
Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: Auto Tech: Aluminum in the Ford F-150
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 08:41:06 am »
.."the F-Series has been Canada’s bestselling truck for 48 years, and for the past four years it has been the country’s top selling vehicle" I keep reading this but would like to know how many of these are fleet vehicles vs personal or small company vehicles. I know that Ford aggressively maintains it's fleet sales in order to maintain top sales spot. Most fleet vehicles are white but Ford will paint any colour you want if the volumes are there.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 08:59:32 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 08:47:55 am »
.."the F-Series has been Canada’s bestselling truck for 48 years, and for the past four years it has been the country’s top selling vehicle" I keep reading this but would like to know how many of these are fleet vehicles vs personal or small company vehicles. I know that Ford aggressively maintains it's fleet sales in order to maintain top sales spot.

That's a good point, well made. I don't know how to grab those figures, we've reached out in the past but haven't been able to get them. Having said that, I see so many of these on the road I'm not in the least surprised by the stat.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 03:12:51 pm »
Haney, neat article.  It definitely is quite thorough as to what difference the material makes.

I see so many of these on the road I'm not in the least surprised by the stat.
Outside of cities, almost everyone owns an F-150.  I was in Belleville today and my RX was the only car in the lot that was NOT an F-150.  None of them were 'fleet' vehicles (nor did any have anything in the truck bed... ::)).

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 03:57:14 pm »
Haney, neat article.  It definitely is quite thorough as to what difference the material makes.

I see so many of these on the road I'm not in the least surprised by the stat.
Outside of cities, almost everyone owns an F-150.  I was in Belleville today and my RX was the only car in the lot that was NOT an F-150.  None of them were 'fleet' vehicles (nor did any have anything in the truck bed... ::)).

May have been the rural standard at one time. My Father in law (Hog Farmer) once a die hard Ford fan gave up Ford since their handling of the peeling paint fiasco and mentioned that many followed suit.
http://www.lemonlaw.com/wordpress/more-problems-for-ford-paint-defects-in-2000-2005-models/
http://www.f150forum.com/f2/anyone-else-having-problems-peeling-paint-90750/

Northernridge

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 04:01:28 pm »
When I've added Silverado and Sierra sales numbers together they've fallen short of the F150 IIRC.

No doubt, this is an important vehicle for the whole segment. If it works, GM and Ram will likely join the party. I find the new F150 very compelling but I might wait for a model year or two to go buy myself...there's a lot of new in these trucks as the article points out.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 04:03:40 pm »
Waiting to see how Canadian winters impact linear expansion of Aluminum over a few years  :) Double that of steel.

Offline drive67

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-28
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tacoma,Celica, HondaCRX, VW Scirocco,Ram,
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 04:05:19 pm »
Reason for so many fleet vehicles is that they are solid with very little repairs needed. We have Dodge, GMC, and Ford in our fleet and Ford is by far the least amount of problems. Dodge so many transmission and computer problems I find them dangerous to drive. The GMC's check engine light comes on so often that drivers do not report it any more, gas gauges do not work, traction control come on dry roads. The Fords just maintenance.   

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 04:25:31 pm »
be interesting to know what various grades the Al they used.