Author Topic: First Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Impala  (Read 22073 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Impala
« on: April 29, 2013, 06:30:58 am »

The Chevrolet Impala is much improved over the previous generation, and GM hopes it will draw more retail consumers.

Read More...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: First Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Impala
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 07:04:13 am »
When I sat in the Impala at the Autoshow, I found the interior cabin a more appealing place to be than in the Ford Taurus, especially in the back.  In the Taurus, it feels claustrophobic, higher belt line maybe.  And I prefer the dash layout of the Impala.  Materials were pretty soft.  Pretty decent price for the upgrade to the 3.6L V6 only $1500 on the LT trim.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:43:17 am »
I really like this car, nice lines, nice interior.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 08:45:12 am »
I understand that there are less margins in fleet sales vs private sales but don't understand why GM would give up there bread & butter sales.

Just because GM wants more privates vs fleet sales, it does not mean the general public will oblige.

GM should focus on moving metal & not alienating sales no matter how they come about. This name plate is long set in stone as a fleet sales vehicle.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:03:00 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 08:50:21 am »
I understand that there are less margins in fleet sales vs private sales but don't understand why GM would give up there bread & butter sales.

Just because you more privates vs fleet sales, it does not mean the general public will oblige.

GM should focus on moving metal & not alienating sales no matter how they come about. This name plate is long set in stone as a fleet sales vehicle.

Not sure for how long, but the current generation Impala, will be called the Impala limited I believe, and will be fleet only...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 09:10:09 am »
excellent car, and is getting a lot of interest at our dealership. The old Impala is a mere memory after merely sitting in one of these...wow what an improvement. I thank the car sales Gods I finally have a full-size car I can show someone without feeling like a total dunce...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 09:11:23 am »

Just because you more privates vs fleet sales, it does not mean the general public will oblige.

More fleet sales = lower residuals which makes the car less appealing to consumers. I would imagine that GM wants to shift away from fleet sales to make the car more attractive to retail customers.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 09:14:06 am »

More fleet sales = lower residuals which makes the car less appealing to consumers. I would imagine that GM wants to shift away from fleet sales to make the car more attractive to retail customers.
truth. Let Hyundai and Chrysler have the fleet sales, Impala is now too nice to be an Enterprise rental...

Offline pg2676

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 09:24:27 am »
I drive a 2011 LT.  Last year of the 3.5L, would have been nice to wait a year and get the 3.6 and 2 more gears.  I love my car, great mileage, goes like stink even with 90hp less.  Looking at the new one, I cant wait to trade mine in. 

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 09:26:23 am »
I drive a 2011 LT.  Last year of the 3.5L, would have been nice to wait a year and get the 3.6 and 2 more gears.  I love my car, great mileage, goes like stink even with 90hp less.  Looking at the new one, I cant wait to trade mine in.
should be on dealer lots by now...what are you waiting for?!  ;)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 09:41:56 am »

Not sure for how long, but the current generation Impala, will be called the Impala limited I believe, and will be fleet only...

June 2014 is the plan for the classic impala

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 09:47:05 am »

June 2014 is the plan for the classic impala

thanks the info, I knew it was something like "classic" or "limited".

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 10:30:57 am »
Although the styling seems to work quite well, this is a very large looking vehicle.  The V6 would be my chioce in something this big.  I don't know why a 4 cyl is even offered (other than for lower fuel consumption ratings).  GM offers a smaller, lighter Maiibu, which is, imo, a better match for the 4.  I find the interior to be overdone as is the case with most GM vehicles.

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 10:58:22 am »
I think GM is probably dreaming if they think that this car is going to be a big seller among private buyers. It takes years to shift the consumer's mindset, particularly for a brand like Impala, which has been attached to terrible vehicles for such a long time. Good for them for trying, but they are producing vehicles that are only just about competitive in a segment that is declining. The new Impala will be bought by private buyers only if discounts and rebates are huge, and continue to be primarily rental car fodder.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 12:04:46 pm »

No, GM should focus on profitability, first and foremost.  If fleet sales and fire-sale prices can still result in profitability, then by all means go ahead.  But if all they do is move metal for the sake of moving metal - well, that's how GM got into their mess to begin with.  Lower market share but greater profitability per vehicle is a far more sustainable business model.  It may take many years for the Impala to shed the rental car reputation - will GM persist with their decision to stay retail-oriented?

The new Impala looks like a fine vehicle, but I'm just not sure how big the market for 5m+ length cars is anymore (at least in Canada, USA may be a different market).  The Taurus, Maxima, Avalon, LaCrosse - none of them are real big sellers (at least compared to their midsize brethren).  300 and Charger seem to do better - maybe because of RWD / AWD choices?

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 12:18:09 pm »
I think the last comment had some truth to it. I can't understand why dash designers make the tach as impotant in size as the speedo. If the location is behind the stearing wheel then why not put the speedo on centre and smaller dial for un-important tach to the side thereof. The view through the stearing wheel is larger on centre so a bigger speedo dial can be put there. When you look there, 90% of the time you want to know what speed you are doing. Give bi-focal spec. wearers a break. Anyway the corporate grille is ditched on this effort and this one is better IMO. I also think that the market for this size may be shrinking though but, not being a salesman, would not know weather lower interest in this sector or funds in short supply in the wage stagnated area...is causing it.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 12:19:51 pm »
If you want to see these big cars you have to come to "smalltown" ontario, lots of cars like this in my area.  Older people, farmers, retired farmers etc. wont drive anything else, they've been dealing with the local GM dealer for 40+ years and they like to trade every 2-3 years.  They end up being excellent used low mileage buys.

Northernridge

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 12:37:02 pm »
I'm unclear...did you guys actually get to drive the Impala...if so, any impressions?

Meanwhile it looks like a huge step forward and a decent enough car. Aesthetically though it has the same problem as the new Fusion – it's overinflated and looks blimp-esque. If they'd let some air out it's sheet metal would settle a little on to its bones maybe resulting in some definition of shape.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 01:23:48 pm »
Well, another promise from the New GM (tm) that sounds a lot like the promises from the Old GM (tm), which really isn't very surprising since the same crew that already ran the place into the ground is still running it, thanks to the hard working folk who pay their taxes and don't walk away from their responsibilities.

Seventy percent retail? Dream on. The only car this will really compete with is the LaCrosse which is a complete sales flop. At this pricing, there is no way GM will get anybody out of a Camacord. Besides, with the gunslit windows are big butt, the car isn't much of a looker.

Finally, without fleet sales GM will never get the production it needs to even hope to break even on it.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 01:57:45 pm »
The Chevrolet Impala is much improved over the previous generation, and GM hopes it will draw more retail consumers.
Read More...

Well, I have to say I really like the way it looks in the pictures. But even as good as it may be, here are my problems with it:

1) Prce just like the Avalon (picking the Avalon just as an example)
2) Reiability (perceived or factual) lower than Avalon
3) Residual - much lower than Avalon

I'll have to wait and see what it looks like on the Canadian spec sheet (the Canadian website is still showing the old Impala), and wether GM is going to put any cash on the hood.