Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i  (Read 12754 times)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 02:58:32 pm »
I certainly don't mind the looks. I'm happy that Subaru Canada is slowly bringing the prices more in line with the US with each passing year (but with a stronger dollar I wish they'd do it quicker!). I'm thankful a six speed manual is offered but less pleased that I can't get a power driver's seat without a CVT. In general, Subaru has gone mainstream which is a mixed blessing for those who preferred the more quirky ways of the old Subaru. But, if you live in areas where the winter driving can be dangerous, there are few substitutes for Sube's superb AWD.

Quattro. Or even modern Haldex systems [Volvo, etc. etc.] are really not that bad for 99% of the winter driving people do.

I think he meant few substitutes in the price range...
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 03:24:16 pm »
I certainly don't mind the looks. I'm happy that Subaru Canada is slowly bringing the prices more in line with the US with each passing year (but with a stronger dollar I wish they'd do it quicker!). I'm thankful a six speed manual is offered but less pleased that I can't get a power driver's seat without a CVT. In general, Subaru has gone mainstream which is a mixed blessing for those who preferred the more quirky ways of the old Subaru. But, if you live in areas where the winter driving can be dangerous, there are few substitutes for Sube's superb AWD.

Quattro. Or even modern Haldex systems [Volvo, etc. etc.] are really not that bad for 99% of the winter driving people do.

I guess it could have been implied, but maybe it wasnt. You could always go slightly used CPO Volvo/Audi for Legacy money. No brainer for me. But I see your point. How about Ford, or other cheaper sedans with optional Haldex AWD? Those are in the price range...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 03:29:29 pm »

I guess it could have been implied, but maybe it wasnt. You could always go slightly used CPO Volvo/Audi for Legacy money. No brainer for me. But I see your point. How about Ford, or other cheaper sedans with optional Haldex AWD? Those are in the price range...

Thing is, Subaru have their AWD down to a science, I dont know if I would trust anything other than Quattro as much.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline roundupready

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 03:33:24 pm »
Pfft.  It's true that Subaru has never been particularly outstanding in any single item.  But that still doesn't stop me keep getting another one.  :p

I know everyone hates the current gen, but I have noticed even with the ultra soft/floaty suspension, this gen actually understeers less than the 2005 GT I used to have.
---------------------------
2013 328 xDrive
2010 Legacy 3.6R LTD
2005 Legacy GT 5EAT Stage 2

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 03:46:16 pm »
I'm amazed at how clueless the general car buying public is.

My sis gave back her Merc C300 when the lease expired, and picked up one of these a couple of months ago.  Why you may ask? (Well, I asked anwyay).  No other reason other than she had a Legacy years ago and she liked it and this one had Bluetooth.

She didn't drive any other cars - her biggest decision was colour.

Makes me wonder why companies don't just keep making the "same old cars" and offer them cheap a-la Ford Ranger.  Would the general buying public know or care as long as it had all the latest do-dads on them?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 03:59:53 pm »

My sis gave back her Merc C300 when the lease expired, and picked up one of these a couple of months ago.  Why you may ask? (Well, I asked anwyay).  No other reason other than she had a Legacy years ago and she liked it and this one had Bluetooth.

Makes me wonder why companies don't just keep making the "same old cars" and offer them cheap a-la Ford Ranger.  Would the general buying public know or care as long as it had all the latest do-dads on them?

I like your idea, getting a brand new Ranger, 4x4 with a fair number of options off the lot for under $20K was a great deal, the problem is, seems that most new sedan buyers want the cars dashboard to look like the Millenium Falcon.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 04:11:51 pm »
I like your idea, getting a brand new Ranger, 4x4 with a fair number of options off the lot for under $20K was a great deal, the problem is, seems that most new sedan buyers want the cars dashboard to look like the Millenium Falcon.

Yeah, except my wife won't yell out "punch it Chewie!" when I mash the throttle...I guess I'm not hairy enough to be a Wookie.
And would the turbos spooling up be like going into hyperdrive?  I would make a gratuitous 1.6L Ecoboost joke here, regarding similar reliability to the hyperdrive on the Millenium Falcon...

Offline dave_b

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14 Verano Turbo 6MT
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 11:31:01 pm »
I would make a gratuitous 1.6L Ecoboost joke here, regarding similar reliability to the hyperdrive on the Millenium Falcon...

She'll hold together...

Offline robsaw

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 01:17:20 am »
Those "undersized 16-inch alloys" are going to save you a ton when it comes to putting winter rubber on.

I don't get the current obsession with bigger-and-bigger wheels  A few years back 15 wheels were typical on FULL size cars, now 16 is becoming the trendy minimum for compacts with little rationale other than "style".

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 08:17:40 am »
Those "undersized 16-inch alloys" are going to save you a ton when it comes to putting winter rubber on.

I don't get the current obsession with bigger-and-bigger wheels  A few years back 15 wheels were typical on FULL size cars, now 16 is becoming the trendy minimum for compacts with little rationale other than "style".

Cars have so much visual mass these days that smaller wheels simply get lost in the wheel arches.

I'd never run winters on the stock alloys anyways so bigger wheels don't bother me too much (within reason), as long as you can fit smaller steel wheels for winter. My car has stock 18s and my winters are on 16s, for example.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 10:06:03 am »
One term comes to mind with the latest Legacy: Meh.

I too prefer the 2005- models.  How can an almost ten year old model have a more dynamic exterior appearance?  Also, the lack of wagon means the Legacy would never been considered by us.

Offline Canadiain

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '12 Civic, '07 Legacy Wagon
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 03:55:43 pm »

Cars have so much visual mass these days that smaller wheels simply get lost in the wheel arches.

I'd never run winters on the stock alloys anyways so bigger wheels don't bother me too much (within reason), as long as you can fit smaller steel wheels for winter. My car has stock 18s and my winters are on 16s, for example.

The fact that the stocks are 16" means at least you can run those smaller rims.  On a Venza for example the stocks are something like 20".  To clear the brakes you need 18s, and that's serious money for winter rubber..

I guess I too dont get the need for bigger and bigger rims, my 07 Legacy has 17" stock alloys and looks OK to me, and we run cheaper 16" steelies in the winter which saves a bit of money on the rubber.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 08:46:00 pm »

The fact that the stocks are 16" means at least you can run those smaller rims.  On a Venza for example the stocks are something like 20".  To clear the brakes you need 18s, and that's serious money for winter rubber..

I guess I too dont get the need for bigger and bigger rims, my 07 Legacy has 17" stock alloys and looks OK to me, and we run cheaper 16" steelies in the winter which saves a bit of money on the rubber.

That was the 2nd biggest factor(tires) in not buying the Venza, the 1st reason was the weight.  It weights the same as the Highlander, a 7 passenger SUV!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 08:50:56 pm »
Those giant wheels and tires do nothing to enhance performance.  For 99% of vehicles on the road, going over a 16" wheel has little or no benefit.  It's all cosmetic.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 10:39:08 pm »
One term comes to mind with the latest Legacy: Meh.

I too prefer the 2005- models.  How can an almost ten year old model have a more dynamic exterior appearance?  Also, the lack of wagon means the Legacy would never been considered by us.

Agreed, the Legacy Wagon 2.5GT of that generation was and still is a car I would like to own.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 11:26:16 pm »

hehehe...it's funny you mention this...i was thinking the same thing when i saw VW's latest Jetta commercial...you know, the one where the woman gets the steaks from the butcher, and buys a car??...i mean, can they stereotype a woman car buyer any better than that? :rofl: :rofl2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWdAXw7ziOo
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2013, 11:28:11 pm »
This is somewhat KIAs philosophy. Kinda cheap but with all the newest :censor: included.
i bought my car (Rio5) because of that, but it's still a very good car...it has won Motoring's Car of the Year in its category, two years in a row now.