Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Ford Transit Connect  (Read 9948 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Ford Transit Connect
« on: April 27, 2012, 04:05:28 am »

The Transit Connect is a vehicle that makes a lot of sense for a small business owner.

Read More...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Ford Transit Connect
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 07:55:21 am »
As a tradesperson, I look at one for 2 minutes and said no.
I like a pick up with a cap much better
With extended cab , you do not hear your tools bouncing around, as they are a completely different area

The interior is crap, no leather, power seats etc

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 08:12:16 am »
Who the heck cares about leather? Finally a vehicle for people who just want the basics.  And you can compartments to help organize the cargo area.  But this is much more practical for small business owners.  Easier to drive, park, easier to load, don't have to worry about buying a cap for it (vs a stupid gas guzzling truck).  Not sure why they don't use the same tranny from the Focus. It would be nice to have a diesel option as well. 

Are the seats removable on the wagon version?  A neighbour has one, the cargo one, I hope they get more popular.  You see them everywhere in Europe, I think they are a little overpriced here, probably because it's imported, and low volume sales. 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 08:13:26 am »
Curling Iron Repair  :rofl2: Grant must be having difficulties
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 08:15:29 am by Snowman »

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 08:19:55 am »
Who the heck cares about leather? Finally a vehicle for people who just want the basics.  And you can compartments to help organize the cargo area.  But this is much more practical for small business owners.  Easier to drive, park, easier to load, don't have to worry about buying a cap for it (vs a stupid gas guzzling truck).  Not sure why they don't use the same tranny from the Focus. It would be nice to have a diesel option as well. 

Are the seats removable on the wagon version?  A neighbour has one, the cargo one, I hope they get more popular.  You see them everywhere in Europe, I think they are a little overpriced here, probably because it's imported, and low volume sales. 

Yeah, the seats can be removed

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 08:32:40 am »
Did you get any takers on the sloth walking service?   :rofl:

No pics of the parking garage either?   :stick:
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 08:39:00 am »
Did you get any takers on the sloth walking service?   :rofl:

No pics of the parking garage either?   :stick:

Let's just say I booked it out of there ASAP; swearing, a lot.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 08:46:30 am »

As a non truck driver, non business owner I agree with Airbalancer.   Having read his posts over the years I see that:
his truck is his office
he often has long ( '00s of kms) trips to jobs

The Transit is fine for a  business that operates within a city doing local deliveries with operators who do a regular  8 hour days work... Canada Post owns 700+ of them.   I agree that a manual transmission would be a selling point for a few users and a reasobaly priced diesel even more so.  If the diesel power unit and gearbox sold in the UK could just be dropped in without a whole pile of added emission stuff that would be really good.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 08:49:02 am »
I think this would fill the gap between the old 1/2 ton vans and minivans nicely. Today's minivans just don't have the same room as the older real vans, but are cheaper to buy and operate. The Connect might fall short though if you use ladders? There does not seem to be enough length inside and the roof is too tall to reach ladders attached to a roof rack?

I don't suppose the reviewers tried to fit a 8' or longer ladder in or looked into whether there was anything aftermarket such as a roof or side rack?

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 08:54:12 am »
I think this would fill the gap between the old 1/2 ton vans and minivans nicely. Today's minivans just don't have the same room as the older real vans, but are cheaper to buy and operate. The Connect might fall short though if you use ladders? There does not seem to be enough length inside and the roof is too tall to reach ladders attached to a roof rack?

I don't suppose the reviewers tried to fit a 8' or longer ladder in or looked into whether there was anything aftermarket such as a roof or side rack?

There are definitely aftermarket roof racks.  A lot of the Bell Canada trucks have them on.

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 08:58:36 am »
It's a shame it has to be imported, increasing the cost, and that it doesn't come with the Euro spec. Most Euro spec Transit connects have a half height steel bulkhead (no rear seats) and can be fitted with a full height, or with various cages etc. Additionally they come with a 1.8 common rail turbo diesel with either 75bhp (weak), 90bhp (good), 110bhp (surprisingly sparkly) - with torque anywhere between 165lbf to 205lbf. If they brought it over with the 110bhp with the 205lbf the fuel economy with the 5 speed standard is amazing and there would be no complaints about a weak powertrain. The other thing that makes them popular in Europe is the access to outfitters who will fit shelves, drawers, built generators and air compressors in etc. This van, with the space properly used, is incredible.

A number of car recovery services used these as they can store enough parts, diagnostics etc, but are smaller and cheaper to run that full sizers.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 09:06:15 am »
I'm starting to see more and more of these around Ottawa.  Canada Post and Bell being the biggest users, from what I've noticed.  It seems to be the perfect application for staying with the city.  But I can see why AB chose his p/u based on the amount of time he spends in it.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 12:30:49 pm »
I presently have three of these in my fleet and a fourth and fifth are soon to be added. We bought the first three soon after they came out and now each unit is approaching 80,000 km. Nothing has gone wrong with them and the regular stuff such as brakes and shocks have held out very well. The first brake jobs came at 40,000 km, quite good for mostly urban driving.

I see posters here calling for a diesel; as a fleet operator I am not interested. I want a simple, proven drivetrain and the 2.0 L engine is very reasonable on fuel and has low maintenance costs. We are averaging 10L/100 km in Vancouver traffic and there was a noticeable improvement after the motors loosened up. The drivers love the little van because it is easy to park and handle in city traffic. Real cargo capacity is hardly and less than the short wheelbase Dodge vans we had before and the Transit uses 30% less fuel.

As for leather seats, what for? This is a commercial vehicle. There is about a 99% chance the owner isn't going to drive this van anyway. Low cost of operation and maintenance is for a commercial operator and the interiors hold up very well.

We are now in the process of buying two more for rural British Columbia routes, replacing our Dodge half ton shorties for small town work. We sent one in that area last summer and the driver was very positive on how the van drove, handled and carried. He also told me that the Transit Connect more than held its own on steep grades.

I am very glad Ford has brought this product to North America am looking forward to seeing the next generation of Transit full size vans.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 04:29:32 pm »
We've sold lots of these to city delivery type businesses - drycleaners, florists, etc.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 06:58:48 pm »
We've sold lots of these to city delivery type businesses - drycleaners, florists, etc.

It just makes great sense for them.

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 07:47:47 pm »
I see posters here calling for a diesel; as a fleet operator I am not interested. I want a simple, proven drivetrain and the 2.0 L engine is very reasonable on fuel and has low maintenance costs. We are averaging 10L/100 km in Vancouver traffic and there was a noticeable improvement after the motors loosened up. The drivers love the little van because it is easy to park and handle in city traffic. Real cargo capacity is hardly and less than the short wheelbase Dodge vans we had before and the Transit uses 30% less fuel.

I see where you're coming from, but what you have to understand is that the diesel powertrains used in Europe are very durable and proven. They're under-stressed (75-105bhp from a 1.8), they use a timing chain and they'll go for hundreds of thousands of miles. Gas prices here still make a diesel a difficult choice, but we're not talking a 6.7 v8 in a one ton - it's the Ford Duratorq engine and they've been used extensively the last few years. With a 5 speed standard and the diesel I used to see 45mpg in a full-size 2.2 Transit - let alone what I'd get in a 1.8 connect. That said, the 2.0 and 4 speed is probably pretty unbreakable and I'm glad your drivers like them. I'm a big fan of Euro vans; used to drive sprinters (the 2.1 diesels though), GM Europe vans (Vivaro mainly), transits and many others.

How's this - a 2007 Ford Transit Connect, 230,000 miles (355kish kms) http://vans.autotrader.co.uk/makemodel/make/ford/model/transit-connect/mileage/150000/max/stock-item-id/at8a63ff8f35e7e40f01363ef36c584233/advert

Offline jwilde

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Honda Odyssey, Nissan Sentra SE-R
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 10:09:03 am »
My Neighbour bought one for a disability vehicle, but there are some problems getting into the vehicle by the rear power lift.  He has to recline his electric wheelchair to get by the rear door latches at the top.  Once inside the vehicle he can't see anything from his position because the windows are too low.  It would have been better if they offered a window higher above the front seats so he could see more than just the road directly in front of the vehicle.  They did find out that they can purchase a front seat that swivels and drops out to transfer him to his wheelchair at a cost of $8000 (an aftermarket item).  There are other vehicles better suited for this mode of transportation.  It does look like it would make a great little delivery truck but I give it a thumbs down as a disability mover.

Offline lostcomma

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 09:04:53 am »
we had one as a demo for a taxi. In town delivery would be fine as long as you don't spend a lot of time in the vehicle. I found thing very noisy. Peppy, good sight lines, not a lot of room for passengers, 3 slim girls max. Unfortunately there really is no use for a manual here unless their is only one person driving and they are really comfortable with 3 pedals on the floor. Clutch pack would take on a new meaning other-wise. I think it's a neat idea as long as I don't have to spend 12 hours in it.