Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Mitsubishi i-Miev  (Read 6349 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Mitsubishi i-Miev
« on: April 03, 2012, 04:03:28 am »

The Mitsubishi i-Miev shows that electric cars aren't ready for mainstream motoring, but that day can't be far off, notes Social Editor Mike Schlee.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Mitsubishi i-Miev
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 07:27:57 am »
I really enjoyed my brief spin in the i-Miev two summers ago.  There were three normal sized men on board and it accelerated faster onto the highway than I have ever pushed the Echo.

It was quite quiet overall and the absence of engine noise made the wind and tire noise more prominent but they were still fairly low.   The cabin was a fairly pleasant place to be.

It's nice to see a report on a fuel efficient car being written by someone who is using it as it was designed to be used.   Quite a few auto journalists simply don't get it.

I have my doubts about the 1400 litre capacity but it is a very practical layout.  If you keep your speed down to 100-110, I'm sure range improves and for running around a big city or on country roads, I don't see limitations.   The number of plug in places has to be increasing - are you listening Tom Horton's?

A quick 400 km blast down a 400 series highway is still out of reach however unless they've got quickchargers at the rest stops.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 09:25:12 am »
Looks like a great choice for town or city driving

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4477865056/

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 09:32:39 am »
not only does this car look stupid, i can't see how anyone could pay almost $40k for this thing and find that interior acceptable...my Rio5 is almost half the price and looks 100x better inside (and outside, for that matter)...the Leaf is $40k (so not that much more than the "Premium package equipped iMiev) and it at least looks like a quality little electric car...if i had to buy an electric car (electric only), Nissan would be getting my money LONG BEFORE Mits saw a penny of it if this the best they can do.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline miatii

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:23:38 pm »
A recent news story mentioned that Alberta was a bit of a hotspot for electric vehicle sales in Canada.  Very happy customers apparently.  Which I find odd.  Alberta has some of the highest electrical rates in Canada.  For my needs I would have to charge this car everyday, which would cost me approximately $4.75 per charge.  On a monthly basis, this is more than I currently pay for gasoline.  For those concerned about the environment, Alberta uses almost exclusively coal generated electricity.  Which means each charging of the car using dirty electricity (our dirty oil pales in comparison) generates almost the same amount of air pollutants as an internal combustion engine would produce over the same distance.  At this time I don't really see the value in these cars, at least in Alberta.

Offline kenm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 07:44:54 pm »
A recent news story mentioned that Alberta was a bit of a hotspot for electric vehicle sales in Canada.  Very happy customers apparently.  Which I find odd.  Alberta has some of the highest electrical rates in Canada.  For my needs I would have to charge this car everyday, which would cost me approximately $4.75 per charge.  On a monthly basis, this is more than I currently pay for gasoline.  For those concerned about the environment, Alberta uses almost exclusively coal generated electricity.  Which means each charging of the car using dirty electricity (our dirty oil pales in comparison) generates almost the same amount of air pollutants as an internal combustion engine would produce over the same distance.  At this time I don't really see the value in these cars, at least in Alberta.

As far as I know, The i-Miev has a 16 kWh battery and Alberta electricity runs about 9.0 to 10.0 cents per kWh. Even with a 10% efficiency loss, worst case scenario is that it will cost you about $1.80 to recharge this thing.

"I paid my four bits to see the high-diving act and I'm a-gonna see the high-diving act. "  Yosemite Sam

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:06:34 pm »
north american tastes?  hummmmm  what's that? it appears that most of the time you worried about whether or not you would make your trip or not.  doesn't sound like fun driving around like you are about to run out of gas.  and nuclear power.  we need more of that.   it's cheap....or so the gov't has tried to convince us that it is.     

The North American buying public are not into funky strange designs.  Cars like the SVX, Suzuki X-90, Pontiac Aztek, etc all failed.  They could have put this technology into a more conventional design, but then again, those who want an electric vehicle may want something that stands out?

One point I forgot to make in the article is that there is no mention anywhere on the exterior of the vehicle that it is an electric car.  If someone didn't know what an i-MiEV was, they would have no clue it was electric

Offline miatii

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 08:09:26 pm »
"As far as I know, The i-Miev has a 16 kWh battery and Alberta electricity runs about 9.0 to 10.0 cents per kWh. Even with a 10% efficiency loss, worst case scenario is that it will cost you about $1.80 to recharge this thing."

Yeah.  That's the problem with the power consumption calculations.  Somewhat confusing.  BC Hydro published cost projections for the Leaf.  Even at their residential conservation rate it still costs $2.60 to charge the car.  Vancouver rates are quite a bit cheaper than Calgary (Calgary may also have higher delivery charges.)  It costs a buck a day to keep just my fridge on.  In addition we are being cautioned to expect more increases including additional charges to cover the construction of new transmission lines.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 08:09:53 pm »

One point I forgot to make in the article is that there is no mention anywhere on the exterior of the vehicle that it is an electric car.  If someone didn't know what an i-MiEV was, they would have no clue it was electric

Maybe that's a wise marketing ploy?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 08:11:10 pm »

Maybe that's a wise marketing ploy?

I was wondering the same...but then again, some may want other people to know it is, like a status symbol?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 08:13:41 pm »
I was wondering the same...but then again, some may want other people to know it is, like a status symbol?
i can't see an i-Miev EVER being considered a status symbol...if i saw someone driving one, i would quietly question their logic for why on Earth they spent that kind of money on THAT car.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 08:15:18 pm »
i can't see an i-Miev EVER being considered a status symbol...if i saw someone driving one, i would quietly question their logic for why on Earth they spent that kind of money on THAT car.

I say the same thing when I see people driving Hyundais....... :rofl2:

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 08:19:50 pm »
So far this is my favourite electric car.  The Leaf is kinda homely and the Volt is dull to look at and there something very wrong about a gasoline powered electric car.

I still think the price needs to fall another $5K to $10K before many people will consider it and am also worried about upcoming rate increases with BC hydro  taking  away any savings over a normal subcompact.

Looking forward to seeing them on the road though.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 08:21:15 pm »
I saw one in traffic downtown some months go. Neat seeing it drift silently by.

I'd have no problem buying one.  It's a cutting edge electric car for the least amount of dough. And it's rwd so you could drift around in empty parking lots all winter...silently! ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 08:23:41 pm »

Do you know of a cheaper electric car?  Some people will care more about driving an electric car then they will about the type of plastic on the dash.  I agree it's pricey but it will be a status symbol for some.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 08:24:06 pm »
I saw one in traffic downtown some months go. Neat seeing it drift silently by.

I'd have no problem buying one.  It's a cutting edge electric car for the least amount of dough. And it's rwd so you could drift around in empty parking lots all winter...silently! ;D

It snowed the day after I gave it back.....I was praying for snow when I had it....I wanted to see if the mid-engined electric would drift.  There was a stability control button ;D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 08:25:55 pm »
It snowed the day after I gave it back.....I was praying for snow when I had it....I wanted to see if the mid-engined electric would drift.  There was a stability control button ;D

For some reason, the idea of drifting this thing makes me chuckle. ;D

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 12:00:47 am »
hyundais make sense...good quality, affordable, nice looking cars...the i-Miev looks like a Fisher Price car, for Lexus pricing...did you see the interior of that thing??...it makes the Yaris look high end. :rofl:

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 12:21:00 am »
hyundais make sense...good quality, affordable, nice looking cars...the i-Miev looks like a Fisher Price car, for Lexus pricing...did you see the interior of that thing??...it makes the Yaris look high end. :rofl:

Still missing the point

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 12:31:41 am »

I was just pulling your chain......