Author Topic: First Drive: 2012 Kia Rio sedan  (Read 12776 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2012 Kia Rio sedan
« on: January 31, 2012, 03:05:29 am »

The new Kia Rio Sedan is 'a heck of a deal...given its long list of standard and available features.'

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2012 Kia Rio sedan
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 08:12:39 am »
The Rio looks like it is $2000 - $3000 cheaper than the GM Sonic for equivalent gear.  And it appears to be 200 - 300 pounds lighter which makes its fuel efficiency stats more believable.  Plus it should have more oomph.

The Sonic is probably a decent package but only with heavy incentives.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 09:02:01 am »
Talk about options.......OM%G!!!! I just hope the "guts" of the Rio holds up. Tic toc, tic toc.... ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 09:03:47 am »
Heated steering wheel and rain sensing wipers in a Rio?  It's amazing what features they are putting into sub compacts these days.  You can't get a heated steering wheel on a brand new MB C250, yet you can get it on a lowly Rio.  Too funny.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 09:10:45 am »
Nice package and a very strong value proposition.  As with the Accent (and the up one class Focus) I prefer the hatch to the sedan.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline jj72

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:12:57 am »
Wow Kia, great job on the Rio.  First rate value, design and interior.  Add a sporty like ride and you have a winner!  Seriously, why would anyone even consider a Yaris over this? Maybe because , "its a car"   :rofl2:

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 09:39:56 am »
  I drove the base car yesterday quiet, impressive acceleration, easy to shift, lots of driver and front passenger room, huge trunk and spare tire space.

Had an issue with the getting out of reverse, the gear lever migrates to 3rd gear, a deliberate effort to find 1st gear is needed. I had the same problem with the i20 I drove recently for 4,000 km as a rental.

I would go for the LX plus model which includes AC, remote entry and cruise. Dealership in Vancouver offers free oil changes and car washes for 5 years.

Overall a very impressive package
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:00:00 am by D70 »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 10:10:29 am »
this car makes a pretty compelling argument for buyers to seriously consider a Kia...5 years ago, you would be unlikely to consider putting a Kia product on your short list...now, you'd be a fool not to.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 10:14:12 am »
Wow Kia, great job on the Rio.  First rate value, design and interior.  Add a sporty like ride and you have a winner!  Seriously, why would anyone even consider a Yaris over this? Maybe because , "its a car"   :rofl2:

Epic reliability is the better ad slogan. The four speed auto might be a dinosaur compared to the six speed in the Rio/Accent but you'll probably have to replace the transmission in the Rio/Accent twice before the Yaris' transmission fails.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 10:15:26 am »
The four speed auto might be a dinosaur compared to the six speed in the Rio/Accent but you'll probably have to replace the transmission in the Rio/Accent twice before the Yaris' transmission fails.
::)

i highly doubt that.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 10:27:33 am »

Some reasons may be better percieved reliability, resale, residuals, lease/finance rates, and believe it or not according to some reviews Yaris in the SE trim is better handling/more fun car to drive. That's why it's always best to drive everything in class and decide for yourself. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 10:31:21 am »
Well I'm talking 200,000km for a Hyundai vs. 400,000km for a Toyota. Of course YMMV, I'm just throwing numbers out from the air. Could be closer to 300,000km for Hyundai. Still better numbers than Dodge, or Honda...

You don't agree that a six speed transmission will be more complex than a four speed?

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 10:39:03 am »
some shots I took at my dealer a few weeks ago - the LX+, he had just received his first two.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 10:43:01 am »
and another four of the LX+ auto

good size trunk and key hole in the lid as well as an inside trunk release

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:22:47 am by conwelpic »

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 10:47:44 am »
Sure makes the new Versa sedan not look so good. Shows you can have a decent price with good driving dynamics. I don't think I would "splurge" on a Rio with leather, but a nice mid-level spec would do nicely.

Offline jj72

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 11:03:49 am »

Epic reliability is the better ad slogan. The four speed auto might be a dinosaur compared to the six speed in the Rio/Accent but you'll probably have to replace the transmission in the Rio/Accent twice before the Yaris' transmission fails.

Epic Reliability is a better ad slogan?  Nice try.  Sorry, but thats all Toyota has to go on. They lag every where else when compared to the Rio and others in the segment.  When people accept what Toyota has to offer (4 speed autos, hard plastic, basic designs), they will continue to sell the basics to the general public. 

Hard to accept when Toyota and even Honda try to sell consumers on 4 & 5 speed auto transmissions and tell them its good enough.  Seriously, they could be much better if they put money back into R&D.  This is something that Toyota and Honda have been slacking in.  For the last several years they coasted on their reliability while everyone else passed them. 

For the comment on the sporty Yaris SE.....really?  Until the Scion FRS comes out, Toyota has zero credibility in their lineup in regards to sporty much less a sports car.  Sticking an SE model on a Camry, Sienna and Yaris holds very little if any weight. However you can tell people that "I drive a sport version of the Yaris!"   :rofl:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 11:23:09 am »
Man those interior pics will appeal to the BLUE MAN GROUPIES....and a brief issue...those it's "320mm longer" WDF I have to do 2 Maths classes in my head...to know it's wot an Inch an an 'arf LONGER,,,,,,do the math for us ALL.......there isn't a person who understands 320mm..unless it's a dash stroker cum nano techkie.............

Nice bundle O' parts for the Price............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 12:27:57 pm »

Epic Reliability is a better ad slogan?  Nice try.  Sorry, but thats all Toyota has to go on. They lag every where else when compared to the Rio and others in the segment.  When people accept what Toyota has to offer (4 speed autos, hard plastic, basic designs), they will continue to sell the basics to the general public. 

Hard to accept when Toyota and even Honda try to sell consumers on 4 & 5 speed auto transmissions and tell them its good enough.  Seriously, they could be much better if they put money back into R&D.  This is something that Toyota and Honda have been slacking in.  For the last several years they coasted on their reliability while everyone else passed them. 

A little perspective is useful here. Toyota and Honda did not just suddenly become lazy and fall behind on R&D. They are trying to remain competitive in the face of a Yen that is very high in relation to the depressed U.S. currency.They have asked the Japanese government for some relief in the tax regimen to help offset this, but to no avail.Add in the recent supply problems from the tsunami, and it's easy to see why they are suffering.Ten or Twenty years ago they could have easily ridden this out because of lack of competition. Now, not so much...I saw this morning that Honda's earnings report is even worse that expected, with profits down 65%. There is much pain to come, but certainly not all self-inflicted.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline MJMontreal

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-19
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current: 2013 Elantra GT, 2011 Yaris Previous: 2007 Caliber, 2005 Echo HB, 2003 Kia Rio, 2003 Focus, 2001 Jetta TDI, 1992 Golf Diesel
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 12:31:30 pm »
I leased a 2003 Rio for 4 years. By the end of it, I had 67,000kms and the car hadn't held up all that well. My next car was a 2nd hand 2005 Echo Hatchback. I traded that one in with 300,000kms for a 2011 Yaris Hatchback, manual shift. I decided to stick with Toyota because my Echo always held its own on the road, I drive a fair distance to work and the Rio really wasn't that surefooted at 120 km/h. I was tempted by the new Rio because of its looks but I am happy I got my Yaris.  ;D

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 12:34:49 pm »
Great review of interesting car of exceptional value. The hill holder on the manual being an unexpected bonus at such bargain pricing! Good looking in either hatch or sedan as well.