Author Topic: Northern Exposure: Most Futuristic Cabins  (Read 5329 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Northern Exposure: Most Futuristic Cabins
« on: August 20, 2014, 06:28:57 am »

Justin helps his geeky friend choose a car that delivers a spaceship-like cabin on a relative budget.

Read More...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:25:13 am by JacobBlack »

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Northern Exposure: Most Futuristic Cabins
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:13:50 am »
The second paragraph of this article just begged for a: "Damn it Man, I'm a Doctor, not a Car Engineer!"

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:14:30 am »
BMW i3, Honda Accord Touring (with two screens!), Volt / Prius / Ford hybrids for the geekiest tree-hugging screens, Mazda 3GT, etc...

As for me, 3 pedals, a real handbrake and knobs, thanks.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:16:28 am »
The second paragraph of this article just begged for a: "Damn it Man, I'm a Doctor, not a Car Engineer!"
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Carma Carma Carma!

or avoiding pesky sneak attacks from Klingon warships (Corollas driven by the elderly).
:rofl2: you mean my dad?  He drives slowly!  The pesky sneak attacks from Klingon Warships are clearly BMW drivers who always tailgate you.

WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE DVDs?!  I scoured the internet forever and could only find Descending selling BluRays (for which I have no player).  I've seen every episode, and as a scuba lover, love the show!  I've also been diving on each and every ship they did in Episode 11 - the Great Lakes.  ;D

Pritch, you and I need to have a beer and watch some Descending - but preferably on a bigger screen.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As for the article - a really, really interesting read!!  In fact, a GREAT read!  Thanks!

I would recommend adding the IS350 AWD (or 250 AWD for budget).  The driver's seat feels like a true cockpit, it's not too hoity (unlike the 3-series), and the gauges glow orange/red if you push the engine.  Also, those gauges on start-up look as if you're starting up a space ship.  The remote-touch interface that is newly available should be neat, and if not, the joystick mouse control would be geeky fun, too.

...but otherwise, I actually think the MKZ hybrid is the right choice, though I disagree about the Fusion or the Chryfi T&C - I see very little spaceshippiness.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 11:46:44 am »
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Carma Carma Carma!

or avoiding pesky sneak attacks from Klingon warships (Corollas driven by the elderly).
:rofl2: you mean my dad?  He drives slowly!  The pesky sneak attacks from Klingon Warships are clearly BMW drivers who always tailgate you.

WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE DVDs?!  I scoured the internet forever and could only find Descending selling BluRays (for which I have no player).  I've seen every episode, and as a scuba lover, love the show!  I've also been diving on each and every ship they did in Episode 11 - the Great Lakes.  ;D

Pritch, you and I need to have a beer and watch some Descending - but preferably on a bigger screen.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As for the article - a really, really interesting read!!  In fact, a GREAT read!  Thanks!

I would recommend adding the IS350 AWD (or 250 AWD for budget).  The driver's seat feels like a true cockpit, it's not too hoity (unlike the 3-series), and the gauges glow orange/red if you push the engine.  Also, those gauges on start-up look as if you're starting up a space ship.  The remote-touch interface that is newly available should be neat, and if not, the joystick mouse control would be geeky fun, too.

...but otherwise, I actually think the MKZ hybrid is the right choice, though I disagree about the Fusion or the Chryfi T&C - I see very little spaceshippiness.

Volt also has an awesome start-up soundtrack.

I think we'll need a second installment, this time over $50K - Tesla, ELR, S-Class, Range Rover.

this time we'll have to work on more Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica references (Ford Escape, anyone?)...

And as to Descending, you might want to ping DriverJeff (or whatever handle he's going by these days) about Descending DVDs... and that beer - those are his photos, and he has that on screen in order to plug the show that he produced, that wily guy. Me, I always go with whatever my daughter's favourite show is that week.

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 11:48:09 am »

:bow2:

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 12:11:22 pm »
And as to Descending, you might want to ping DriverJeff ... he has that on screen in order to plug the show that he produced,
:o HE IS A GOD AMONG MEN!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Northern Exposure: Most Futuristic Cabins
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 12:21:17 pm »
And as to Descending, you might want to ping DriverJeff ... he has that on screen in order to plug the show that he produced,
And shameless, apparently.....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 12:49:35 pm »

That I am.  If this is news to you, well, you should know better.   ;D

NoTo, as Mr Yarkony mentioned, the image of the inside of the Town and Country was from my review earlier this year -- and yes, I deliberately put on Descending for the photos.   :-\  The T&C actually plays BluRays which is what that image depicts.

DVDs and t-shirts (I think) are now available to order from the same site as the BluRays.  I'll PM you the link to not be sooooo shameless here.  ;)
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 02:50:54 pm »
There's no shame in being shameless.

Northernridge

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 05:40:47 pm »
It amuses me.

As a person that works in IT, more screens, more gadgets, I do not want. Those are just gremlins waiting to eat my face off. I know they will break.

Touch screens, ick, give me nice big buttons. Mechanical would be even better. I'd rather have a real mechanical switch than an electronic button.

Amen brother.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 06:34:42 pm »
It amuses me.

As a person that works in IT, more screens, more gadgets, I do not want. Those are just gremlins waiting to eat my face off. I know they will break.

Touch screens, ick, give me nice big buttons. Mechanical would be even better. I'd rather have a real mechanical switch than an electronic button.

I concur!!

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 12:15:37 pm »
http://departuresstore.com/collections/dvd

i'm not shameless....

i think the t&c doesn't really belong... so much of it's tech is outdated... going with a chryco, i'd go grand cherokee. TFT dash, 8.4" uconnect, back up cams, sensors, heated wheel, air suspension, diesel... stretched the budget i guess though by 6 grand or so if you went for a diesel...

this kind of article just shows that so many people have different priorities... though we think we know what everyone needs (a manual, diesel, wagon) some people just don't care about the same things we all prioritize...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 12:25:46 pm »
Not to mention, a bachelor doctor driving a minivan?  What a martyr!

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 12:47:36 pm »
I wonder if you mentioned that a slightly modified Acura badge resembles the Starfleet badge/symbol if Acura would've shot to the top his list....

http://cheezburger.com/2288262400

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 03:08:27 pm »

That I am.  If this is news to you, well, you should know better.   ;D

NoTo, as Mr Yarkony mentioned, the image of the inside of the Town and Country was from my review earlier this year -- and yes, I deliberately put on Descending for the photos.   :-\  The T&C actually plays BluRays which is what that image depicts.

DVDs and t-shirts (I think) are now available to order from the same site as the BluRays.  I'll PM you the link to not be sooooo shameless here.  ;)

Sorry to continue off-topic here, but, you're Scott's brother??  That's awesome, I'm a huge fan, loved Departures, I have all the DVDs.  Is Descending going to have another season and/or what will the next project be?   :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:11:10 pm by WRX_Pilot »

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 03:28:39 pm »
Q50 has 2 screens, voice command, among a number of other hi-tech goodies, and if you pony up the $$$ for it, the world's first steer by wire system on a production car.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 04:09:47 pm »
it seems like a car can have all the tech in the world under the hood, but it will go unnoticed... it's all about the flashy kinds of tech... kia has totally understood that...

as for descending... i was drunk last week texting andre talking about the next shows.. i think i was drunk and just wanted to travel the world snowboarding... he pretended to like my idea... heh.. how nice of him!

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 11:41:21 pm »

Sorry to continue off-topic here, but, you're Scott's brother?? 

He's MY brother.  I was here first.  ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 06:33:54 pm »
I see Departures plays late night on Esquire Channel....I see it during my channel surfing