Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Nissan Frontier, 2005-2012  (Read 5631 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Used Vehicle Review: Nissan Frontier, 2005-2012
« on: March 01, 2012, 04:05:12 am »

Though it's a capable pickup, the mid-size Frontier hasn't proved as reliable as its chief competitor, the Toyota Tacoma.

Read More...

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Nissan Frontier, 2005-2012
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 08:02:37 am »
I looked at one of these when handing in the leaseback last year.  Was bouncing between the versatility and towing ability of this type of truck vs the all-season fun of the '12 Wrangler (which I wound up getting).

The MSRP was $37,000 for the crew cab in SV trim....which wasn't very optioned (although a liveable truck, I'd expect more for close to $40gs).  The Tacoma was better equipped as I recall for the same money....

But compared to the $24,000 deal Dodge Ram Crew Cab ChryCo still has going on, with $5,000 in options, would have been a steal compared to these mid-sizers.
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 08:45:53 am »
"mid"-sized trucks have been and are horribly overpriced. I don't get why the price difference from 1/2 tons?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 08:48:02 am »
I looked at one of these when handing in the leaseback last year.  Was bouncing between the versatility and towing ability of this type of truck vs the all-season fun of the '12 Wrangler (which I wound up getting).

The MSRP was $37,000 for the crew cab in SV trim....which wasn't very optioned (although a liveable truck, I'd expect more for close to $40gs).  The Tacoma was better equipped as I recall for the same money....

But compared to the $24,000 deal Dodge Ram Crew Cab ChryCo still has going on, with $5,000 in options, would have been a steal compared to these mid-sizers.
That's the problem with these smaller trucks.  The big 3 are offering their heavy hitters (F150's, Rams, etc) at the same price as these smaller trucks and people can't justify buying the smaller truck when they can get a full size for the same price or less.  Mind you the Tacoma and Frontier will probably be more reliable and have much better resale value, as well as a bit better fuel economy. 

I wonder how the Suzuki offering of this same vehicle has done and what kind of deals they have compared to Nissan.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 12:07:16 pm »
Good, accurate review.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 01:30:22 pm »
I'm pretty sure the cheaper price of larger trucks is solely due to demand. The cost of design/engineering/build is offset because year after year, pickups like the Dodge Ram (1500), Chevy Silverado and Ford F-150 are all best-selling vehicles. Fewer people buy midsize trucks, and unless a manufacturer gets really aggressive with pricing I don't think it's likely to change.

On the Frontier, I like the idea of an early model 2.5L King Cab with 4x4 and a stick shift. Cheap to buy, cheap to run (until you have to repair it!) and capable enough for most light-duty users. I know there are times I could definitely use the capabilities of a truck, but I do too much driving and commuting to justify the massive fuel consumption of a larger V8 4x4 pickup. I've always liked the looks of the Frontier since its' 2005 redesign, as well as the XTerra, especially in the off-road spec versions.

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 02:29:49 pm »
 The writer has written off the vehicle as unreliable and recommends the Tacoma....I wonder if Toyota still has that horrid seating...I rode in a few of them and could not stand sitting on the floor..It's not a sports car. It's a pickup truck..It eliminates the truck, as far as I'm concerned (that and it's ugly Toyota styling)..I love these Nissans..especially the base model with the 4 banger...which should get reasonable mileage figures..with the manual tranny...Just go for $1500 or so for a set of 18 inch tires and wheels after market...et voila..super truck..Nice article...Jack

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 03:32:32 pm »
I've always liked the looks of the Frontier since its' 2005 redesign, as well as the XTerra, especially in the off-road spec versions.

Same here.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 05:20:40 pm »
I'm pretty sure the cheaper price of larger trucks is solely due to demand. The cost of design/engineering/build is offset because year after year, pickups like the Dodge Ram (1500), Chevy Silverado and Ford F-150 are all best-selling vehicles. Fewer people buy midsize trucks, and unless a manufacturer gets really aggressive with pricing I don't think it's likely to change.

On the Frontier, I like the idea of an early model 2.5L King Cab with 4x4 and a stick shift. Cheap to buy, cheap to run (until you have to repair it!) and capable enough for most light-duty users. I know there are times I could definitely use the capabilities of a truck, but I do too much driving and commuting to justify the massive fuel consumption of a larger V8 4x4 pickup. I've always liked the looks of the Frontier since its' 2005 redesign, as well as the XTerra, especially in the off-road spec versions.

I'm not sure exactly how long, but since around 1998 you haven't been able to get a 4cyl with the 4x4 from Ford/Mazda or Nissan, which sucks.  Tacoma allows it, so does Colorado/Canyon as far as I know.  It's cliche now, but if they had a small diesel in these smaller trucks it would make a hell of alot of sense!

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 07:25:15 pm »
I was under the impression that the Frontier was more rugged than the Titan? Mine would be a 6 cylinder manual.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 08:23:41 pm »
The Frontier Crew really suffers from a too-small back seat area. The rear seat is borderline useless except to haul cargo and tiny people. The Frontier is fine as an extended cab but not as a real 4 door truck. For me it came down to the Taco and the Ridgeline. I went Ridge as it aligned more closely with what I was going to use it for.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 10:40:00 pm »
Are Tacos made out of gold?  A friend was looking for a used one, and I couldn't believe the prices.  I know Toyotas hold their value well, but the asking prices for Tacomas is insane.

Even if the Tacoma is the best mid sized truck (I don't know if it is) the prices are so high that buying one would be difficult.  The Frontier, even if a bit less reliable, might (I'm not sure) be a much better buy...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 10:46:07 pm »
A buddy of mine has a 2011 Nismo crew cab.....really nice truck but I couldnt believe that he forked out almost $35K for that....thats very close to a full size truck. Even if you dont need a full size truck, a Ridgeline makes a much nicer 4 door truck. I could never get why mid size trucks were more expensive than their full size counterparts, plus, their fuel mileage isnt that fantastic.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 11:29:18 pm »
For giving up the utility, there should be a payoff.

(shown compared to 5.0L and 3.5L TT Ford)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:30:58 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 12:39:51 pm »
For giving up the utility, there should be a payoff.

Agree that there is a big drop in utility with the midsizers (payload and towing capacity), and that the payoff is not in mileage (not much better according to gov't estimates - but maybe better in real life?) or in purchase price (hardly any cheaper). 

However, I'd argue the "payoff" is in the fact that the midsizers are much easier to manouvre in town.  Parking the F150 at the crowded university lot is not that bad - but not the easiest, either.  And that's with the short wheelbase (extended cab, 5.5' box) - I'm not sure they even make that configuration anymore (either crew cab with 5.5' box, or extended cab with 6.5' box).  Parking in our smallish garage takes a little effort as well.  The midsizers are just a little bit narrower and shorter (in both length and height), but that little bit really helps manouvring in the city.  For those that don't need full-size truck capacity (unfortunately we do, hauling horses) a mid-sizer could make a lot of sense. 

But it is unfortunate that the powertrains and fuel economy of the midsizers haven't kept up with their full size brothers.  A new Ranger with the 3.7L V6 from the F150, or an Ecoboost 2.0L from the Explorer/Edge?  A new Dakota with the Pentastar 3.6L?  Unfortunately that would probably just steal sales from the F150/Ram...hence no new midsized trucks from Ford/Ram.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 01:08:42 pm »
I will say there has been a payoff for going with the Ridgeline. My previous Dakota was a quad Cab with the 4.7 (non HO).In the city I would be in the  16-19 L/100km. With the Ridgeline I am consistently getting 14L/100km through winter. I will see 13L/100km in the summer.

That being said I would have gone with a 4 year old Escalade EXT if it fit in my garage.

spidey

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 01:56:32 pm »
Ive had one since January 2006, bought a 2005 used with barely any kms.  It has done be well the last 6 years, and I have used it as a truck to.  It hauls a camping trailer regularly and a water trailer 6000 lbs full 6 times a month.

It has had a few issues, like the EVAP cannister failure that is a plague to all Frontier, Titan and Exterra owners.  It fials because it gets dirty, and they put it beside the back left wheel.  Great design, a part made to fail when used as a truck.

Other than that, its been good to me.  I baby it though (even though I use it to tow, one summer we camped for a month) and do regular maintenance, but I plan on keeping it for a long time.

If I could turn bakc time I would of boughten a full size though, but back then didnt need one.  But with the kids now 6 years older the back is pretty tight when all 5 us of travel with the camper.

I have the short box, but buyign used I didnt have a choice.  I cant haul my quad back there.

But all in all Its been a good truck to me.  Hasnt left me stranded yet, and like I said its used as a truck.  Hauling gravel, firewood, garbage, etc.  Plus towing alot.  With the set up though I dont think I would take it over the mountains with my rig.  I know IM pushing the max of its capactiy, but still within the safety region of the trucl.  Ive got my trailer weighed multiple times at stations, even going into BC and I always was within the range of its towing as well as payload (with being creative where stuff is put)

But saying that,. Im not doing 100 down the highway, Im 90km an hour max.  I could push it but I can tell it would be hard on t.  A good ehad wind and Im down to 80K for sure, and up major hills unless I bag it, Im down to 70.

Ill be keeping it for along time, and just buy a full size for all my towing needs, and use this as my daily driver.

Mines to  pimped up now to want to give up.  I like the looks more than the Toyota and the payload and towing cpacity was more as well

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 09:37:46 pm »
Mind you the Tacoma and Frontier will probably be more reliable and have much better resale value, as well as a bit better fuel economy. 

How so?  Nissan's have had horrid quality problems for the last 7 or so years (since Renault took over) and even Toyota's have seen quite a slide.  Full size trucks, no matter who makes them, have good resale values and they are all generally well built.  Don't see how anything besides better city fuel economy, that a smaller truck is a better choice.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 09:52:49 pm »

Mind you the Tacoma and Frontier will probably be more reliable and have much better resale value, as well as a bit better fuel economy. 

How so?  Nissan's have had horrid quality problems for the last 7 or so years (since Renault took over) and even Toyota's have seen quite a slide.  Full size trucks, no matter who makes them, have good resale values and they are all generally well built.  Don't see how anything besides better city fuel economy, that a smaller truck is a better choice.

Fixed that for requote for ya!  ;)

FWIW, I think JohnnyMac's comment reflects the general perception of Toyo-ssan vehicles, that directly correlate into higher resale prices. Not necessarily accurate, but the buyers reality.

IE if the Japanese can build a more reliable car, a truck built in Japan for hauling (when only gently driven) should last indefinitely.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 02:00:45 pm »

Fixed that for requote for ya!  ;)

FWIW, I think JohnnyMac's comment reflects the general perception of Toyo-ssan vehicles, that directly correlate into higher resale prices. Not necessarily accurate, but the buyers reality.

IE if the Japanese can build a more reliable car, a truck built in Japan for hauling (when only gently driven) should last indefinitely.
[/quote]
Again, most trucks that I'm aware of or all of them, are built in NA somewhere.  And by the way, any truck last a long time.  There's enough pickups from Ford and Chevy still kicking around from the 80s as proof of that.