Author Topic: Quick Spin: Kia Soul EV  (Read 7665 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Quick Spin: Kia Soul EV
« on: May 28, 2014, 06:28:37 am »

Kia's upcoming all-electric Soul brings no noise, no emissions, and no gas bills in what may be the most impressively massaged mainstream-to-EV machine yet.

Read More...

Online Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1142
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
Re: Quick Spin: Kia Soul EV
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:04:21 am »
While the car is interesting, this quick spin leaves much to be desired.. More a discussion of incentives and grants than a first spin.

Does the Soul have regenerative braking, is it customizable, does it feel natural? Handling ok? Steering feel, any?

Still a very interesting addition to the EV offering. 200 Km range would make it a great commuter.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 08:09:29 am »
As a car guy, I'm torn on the assortment of electric vehicles popping up. Something to be said, though, for owning and driving the latest piece of easily identifiable automotive tech. I'd prefer the Fiat 500e, however, if they become available outside of California. Range anxiety is ever present and is really the major factor in the driving experience. "Average North American daily trips" mean nothing when stranded or when consuming that 4th cup of roadhouse coffee leaning heavily on the good graces of the service station owner. I know, these things are not for the open road. Kind of relegates them squarely into the "niche" category at this point in automotive history. They'll start to look pretty good, though, as the Google autonomous vehicles start to creep around our cities in the near future.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 09:02:07 am »
Small addition to the article: 

While BC has the largest number of quick chargers in operation, the Hydro Quebec, Reno Depot & Saint Hubert BBQ have announced the deployment of a least 10 additional CHAdeMO stations in their parking lots over the next 2 years. 

I've been seriously looking at electric alternatives and was initially worried about charging.  However, this handy site put some of those concerns to rest:  http://www.plugshare.com/

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 09:13:00 am »
35~40k ... no rebates in canada.

ok.   umm...    sh1t.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 09:29:53 am »
I would pick this over the Smart.  More utility and doesn't look nearly as goofy.  As one of my friends said, "Why do they call it Smart when it looks so dumb?"

However, if Smart still had this:

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 09:55:13 am »
It'll make for an interesting commuter car, like the Leaf did...but I'm still concerned that even on a full charge, my 26km commute and then parking outside for 10 hours a day in the winter will leave me worried about range.  No charger at work.  What's more concerning is spending $3-4,000 on a Level 2 charger, which really reduces the savings.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 10:11:17 am »
It'll make for an interesting commuter car, like the Leaf did...but I'm still concerned that even on a full charge, my 26km commute and then parking outside for 10 hours a day in the winter will leave me worried about range.  No charger at work.  What's more concerning is spending $3-4,000 on a Level 2 charger, which really reduces the savings.

$800 from Home Depot. Installation will vary. I can install my own.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/30-amp-indoor-electric-vehicle-charging-station-2nd-gen-enhanced-model/989931
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Online Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 10:39:35 am »
This one (scroll down to # 4)is made in Quebec. $779 + shipping. It  is also designed to work well in cold climate, the cable stays flexible at -40. On some charging stations, the cable is so stiff at that temp you cannot un-roll it!

Interior ones starting at $539..

http://roulezelectrique.com/borne-240v-evduty/

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 11:09:51 am »
Costco has this 25A charger for $569:

http://www.costco.ca/Sun-Country-Highway-25A-Electric-Vehicle-EV-Charging-Station.product.100107644.html

And 60A charger for $1759:

http://www.costco.ca/Sun-Country-Highway-60A-Electric-Vehicle-EV-Charging-Station.product.100107632.html

Anyway, nice car, but still waiting for Tesla to release their $40k Model X with 300km range. Then it'll be game set and match in this segment.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 11:33:32 am »
The single biggest thing keeping me from considering a BEV type car is the fact that I rent my duplex.  There is no outlet (110/120 or otherwise) within easy reach and as the landlord just finished a very expensive renovation of the lower half last year, I doubt that installing car charging stations is high on his list.

In fact, I suspect that for many Montrealers, that is a serious concern.  We have a high percentage of renters vs owners, which means that such mods to the property will always be out of reach for a huge percentage of the population.  The alternative of lining up to charge one's vehicle at the relatively few shared spots is not one that I relish.

I looked at that plug sharing map of available stations shown in a related thread in the "General Car Talk" section and there are precious few where I live.  Certainly not enough to warrant me making the trip just to "fuel up".  I have access to around 3 to 5 times that number of gas stations in the same area.

What would change my mind?  Having the number of EV's owned by early adopters reach a critical mass that it causes a tipping point in the mind of landlords such as mine.  In that scenario, he would view a charging station per rental unit - or at least a convenient set of standard outlets - as a basic offering and the cost of doing business.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 12:14:49 pm by random006 »
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 12:07:54 pm »
re: chargers being cheaper than I expected, I stand corrected.  Thanks!  ...still, how much is installation for those of us who cannot/will not install ourselves?

Online Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 01:01:18 pm »
I would say $300. or so, depending how far from your electrical box the charger will be installed. Big gage copper cables are not cheap these days.. ;)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 01:30:04 pm »
When the Leaf first got released, they were offering free chargers for preorders with a pegged value of $2,000 installed.

My buddy gave me a cost of about $120 or so in parts (considering 25A) plus 2-3 hours labour. So I'd say $500 plus tax if you hire a contractor or $300-400 if you can get a buddy to do it.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 09:16:36 pm »
My personal juice dispenser, 1-2-3 Done! Plug-in became an automatic reflex like I(you too) do with my(your) cell phone.

Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 11:43:26 pm »
It'll make for an interesting commuter car, like the Leaf did...but I'm still concerned that even on a full charge, my 26km commute and then parking outside for 10 hours a day in the winter will leave me worried about range.  No charger at work. 

My commute in the Smart Electric Drive is similar to the distance you list.  No charger at work, in fact, I have only charged the car using the EVSE that came with it plugged into a 110V outlet in my garage.   

This was the coldest winter in my memory, and the little electric car made it through without skipping a beat.  Perfect, not a single problem.  The shortest estimated range was around 70km, and there is extra buffer before "empty" just like in a gas car.  I've never once run out, and I've tried a few times!

The most challenging day was -34C and windy, the car was left outside for 9 hours unplugged.  It started and pre-conditioned (warmed) the battery to operating temperature (-20C to 40C) and I was off in a few minutes.  The Smart ED cabin heater is immediate (electric resistive, just like a toaster) which is great compared to waiting minutes for an ICE to warm up.

I paid $19K all in, which averages out to $160 per month over 10 years of ownership.
I save $140 per month compared to my previous car ($110 less in fuel, and $30 less in insurance).

If you live in Ontario or Quebec, there is an EV incentive that reduces the cost substantially.  Even without, the Smart ED makes economic sense.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 11:45:24 pm »
re: chargers being cheaper than I expected, I stand corrected.  Thanks!  ...still, how much is installation for those of us who cannot/will not install ourselves?

Ontario offers an electric vehicle charging incentive.  Look it up on google.
Will cover 50% of the cost of purchase and installation up to $1000 total incentive.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 11:54:03 pm »

Still a very interesting addition to the EV offering. 200 Km range would make it a great commuter.

The Kia is listed as having a 27 kwh battery pack.  (My Smart is 17.6 kwh).

My Smart ED registered 24 kwh / 100 km in the dead of winter with full heat on and no care to drive "eco". 
Whereas as we approach summer, it's more like 17 kwh / 100 km with the air conditioning on.

So with the larger battery, the Kia EV could expected to have a range of 112 km (cold weather) to 160 km (hot weather) without any compromises.

If you drive more economically, and keep from maxing out the heater or AC, you will get at least 20% better than that.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 11:58:00 pm »
The Kia will probably use more power being a bigger, heavier vehicle.

I wish more manufacturers would use kWh/100km like you did. L/100km equivalent and MPGe makes absolutely no sense to me.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 08:48:07 am »
It'll make for an interesting commuter car, like the Leaf did...but I'm still concerned that even on a full charge, my 26km commute and then parking outside for 10 hours a day in the winter will leave me worried about range.  No charger at work. 

My commute in the Smart Electric Drive is similar to the distance you list.  No charger at work, in fact, I have only charged the car using the EVSE that came with it plugged into a 110V outlet in my garage.   

This was the coldest winter in my memory, and the little electric car made it through without skipping a beat.  Perfect, not a single problem.  The shortest estimated range was around 70km, and there is extra buffer before "empty" just like in a gas car.  I've never once run out, and I've tried a few times!

The most challenging day was -34C and windy, the car was left outside for 9 hours unplugged.  It started and pre-conditioned (warmed) the battery to operating temperature (-20C to 40C) and I was off in a few minutes.  The Smart ED cabin heater is immediate (electric resistive, just like a toaster) which is great compared to waiting minutes for an ICE to warm up.

I paid $19K all in, which averages out to $160 per month over 10 years of ownership.
I save $140 per month compared to my previous car ($110 less in fuel, and $30 less in insurance).

If you live in Ontario or Quebec, there is an EV incentive that reduces the cost substantially.  Even without, the Smart ED makes economic sense.
Well put - probably the first time someone has given a convincing argument to me for electrics.

...still won't suit my needs since Lady Noto moves to NY state next week and I'll be commuting every 2nd or 3rd weekend for the next year...a range-extender would work handsomely, though.