Author Topic: Northern Exposure: Subaru's Lineartronic CVT vs 6-Speed Manual in the WRX  (Read 30788 times)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
Re: Northern Exposure: Subaru's Lineartronic CVT vs 6-Speed Manual in the WRX
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2014, 03:15:19 pm »
wow another thread that has turned into talking about that c7 - the car that was drawrn up with a red crayon.....what's worse it's coming in a thread about the ultimate :censor: transmission.  the CVT is another form of the devil. my friend has a modded STI and i am pretty sure he has stabbed himself multiple times when he heard the wrx was now being offered with a CVT.  i cannot confirm this as i am afraid to go to his place only to find a seven, the movie, type situation.

I feel the same way when someone drives a modded WRX rather than a modded Supra.... :rofl2:

Supra?  I remember reading about those in history books.  A whole lifetime ago. 

Snowman, you blew up TWO of your Subies?  I didn't know that.  Which ones?  The STI and ???  Knock on wood, my brother's '11 STI is holding up very well.  He doesn't do wild launches on a regular basis -- in fact, since getting into bikes, he's admitted the Subie is boring now -- but he certainly doesn't baby it.

No, his STI's engine blew shortly after he sold it. My WRX was the other one - transmission exploded a few months after I bought it and prior to it being modded.

Oh, now I see.  So in both instances we can likely just chock it up to driver error and not the car.   ;D

Kidding aside, that transmission woe you had with yours (I remember that now), was a fluke, right?  That wasn't a wide-spread issue with the older Rex was it?
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2014, 05:02:40 pm »
In observing Subarus steady decline over the past 5 year in reliability ratings I would say they are cost cutting. My 2002 and 2006 WRX's were bullet proof.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2014, 05:06:22 pm »
In observing Subarus steady decline over the past 5 year in reliability ratings I would say they are cost cutting. My 2002 and 2006 WRX's were bullet proof.
:iagree: *sigh* Thanks a lot, Toyota...

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2014, 10:22:12 pm »

Hmm... I wonder if their quality is suffering, or if the competition has just caught up (and in some cases, surpassed) Subaru.  When you had your STI, did you find it worse in quality than the previous Subies you had?  My brother's had 3 now and all have been pretty much perfect as far as I know (annoying rattles notwithstanding). 

It's funny, cost cutting could be it, and yet the new cars feel more refined than the earlier ones.  I'm driving a '15 Impreza hatchback this week loaded up with all the tech pkg goodies and it's a well-equipped and well-screwed-together machine. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2014, 10:37:32 pm »
If I was in the car business the first thing I would do would be to offer an automatic on all cars. It automatically opens the door to more clients especially in high end sports cars.

Yup.  It's just too limiting sales-wise to go manual-only.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2014, 01:16:08 pm »
Hmm... I wonder if their quality is suffering,
Let me put it this way:
IMO, my 2011 Forester XT Limited is incredibly reliable, but I wouldn't call it exactly the 'same' quality as older models.

The trim on the A-pillar doesn't really sit flush, the moonroof had rattles, though it seems to have stopped doing that since May...I'm not sure what really caused it or how it fixed itself...Subaru for the win?  :P

In addition, I had to replace one brake light housing (warranty) for condensation getting in despite there being 0 cracks (if it was cracked, they wouldn't have replaced it under warranty).

I wouldn't call those 'major' at all, and none of them have cost me a penny to fix (although the A-pillar remains slightly ill-fitted, but doesn't obscure vision).  My Corolla rattles away, the driver's side mirror shakes at highway speeds and the window moans and whines when put down or up, the radio display dies occasionally (although not recently...also self-healing?), and the transmission doesn't shift from 2-3 in the cold unless you're at 75km/h.

That doesn't sound like Toyota/Subaru of yesteryear, although mechanically they're pretty damn good.  I'd rather rattles than fuel pump failures.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2014, 07:51:04 pm »
Subarus have long been "okay" in terms of things like interior build quality and stuff like that.  It's the mechanicals that have been their strong point.

At 400K, our Forester runs great, drives great, rattles like a the inside of a bag of marbles inside a washing machine. the weather stripping is wearing out, etc, etc.  Typical old Scoob - feels old except for how it runs and drives.  Well, the interior itself has held up VERY well.  Materials are super tough.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:54:33 pm by johngenx »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2014, 08:15:24 am »
Subaru has stepped it up recently with better interior design styling and some materials but I still hear many who own them complain about the rattles and fitment. No questions the  mechanicals have been mostly flawless, but the WRX/STi apear to have lost robustness in terms of tuning.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2014, 10:36:32 am »
My FXT is pushing 10years now, only 128k on it though, overall I think it's doing well.  It's got a few rattles, but not what I would call unreasonable, usually a whack in the general area fixes it temporarily  ;). I find the interior a pleasing mix of soft and hard touch surfaces with varying textures, including fabric on the doors which I miss in more modern cars. 

Most things I've fixed were by choice, since I'm pretty picky about maintenance.  But In the last year and a half, the dog-bone engine mount, a loose drive shaft, a couple wheel bearings, and of course I bought it right when the timing belt was due!  Also had to fix (what should have been a recall) fuel lines that leaked in cold weather under the intake manifold, that was $$$.

I suspect it has a boost leak or a malfunctioning sensor somewhere, it hesitates under heavy throttle in 3rd and 4th.  Grrrr... It's a labour of love that's for sure!  Both this and my 02 WRX had really heavy clutches... I think my left knee would blow out if I had to commute in rush hour...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Northern Exposure: Subaru's Lineartronic CVT vs 6-Speed Manual in the WRX
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2014, 11:02:31 am »
Ah blown up subarus a weekly occurance at the track.

I know someone that went through 4,engines in 2 years. 

Offline marrlin

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mini Cooper S JCW, Lincoln MKC, Subaru WRX
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2015, 09:09:51 am »
Just ordered a 16 WRX with auto.
Have been driving a Mini Cooper for the last 13 years with a manual transmission.
note: Mini dealerships, at least the ones I asked, no longer stock Minis with manuals anymore. If you want a manual, you will have to factory order it.

Chose the WRX with auto for a few reasons.
First, was just tired of driving manual in Toronto traffic. Not a big deal, just at that stage in my life, where I am ready for a change.
Secondly, read some great reviews about this CVT; from journalists who recently would have considered an auto in this car to be blasphemous.

Can't wait till May/June for delivery.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2015, 09:15:55 am »
First, congrats!

...second, you may want to check your order since 2016s aren't available ;)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2015, 12:36:51 pm »
First, congrats!

...second, you may want to check your order since 2016s aren't available ;)

Maybe that's why it's a May/June delivery? 

Wonder what trim level.  Having the Impreza's upgraded infotainment system would be a nice treat for the '16s.