Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Nissan Altima, 2007-2012  (Read 13821 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Used Vehicle Review: Nissan Altima, 2007-2012
« on: March 29, 2012, 04:05:21 am »

The fourth-generation Nissan Altima continues a trend of so-so build quality that began with the 2002 model.

Read More...

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Nissan Altima, 2007-2012
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 08:10:45 am »
Like a good appliance, good value for the job in hand

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/5233024996/

for real world economy

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/jhughes3281/altima

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12345
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:42:08 am »
^^^ flickr shill.  My Altima was much better than so-so over the 4 years I had it.  The only warranty claims were for wonky TPMS sensors that failed one after the other (after the third went, they took the hint and just replaced the fourth).  Otherwise it was as rock solid after 4 years as new - no squeaks or rattles.  The interior held up extremely well (but then, I take care of my cars extremely well). And the V6 motor with the 6-speed manual was a real hoot.  I basically had zero complaints.

This car is still selling extremely well, notwithstanding its status as segment senior citizen.  Nissan must be doing something right.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Used Vehicle Review: Nissan Altima, 2007-2012
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 09:50:22 am »
We had a variety of Nissans (altima, Maxima and Pathfinder ) all pre 05. Nissan seems to lost it's way lately from what I see
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 10:07:19 am »
We had a variety of Nissans (altima, Maxima and Pathfinder ) all pre 05. Nissan seems to lost it's way lately from what I see

The CVT-in-everything scheme is what lost me as a repeat customer.  I would have bought the Maxima if I could have had it with a stick.  Or even a good conventional auto. 

Jaeger

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 10:16:58 am »
My Altima was much better than so-so over the 4 years I had it.  The only warranty claims were for wonky TPMS sensors that failed one after the other (after the third went, they took the hint and just replaced the fourth).  Otherwise it was as rock solid after 4 years as new - no squeaks or rattles.  The interior held up extremely well (but then, I take care of my cars extremely well). And the V6 motor with the 6-speed manual was a real hoot.  I basically had zero complaints.

This car is still selling extremely well, notwithstanding its status as segment senior citizen.  Nissan must be doing something right.

Jaeger

There doesn't seem to be any one thing that goes wrong with this generation Altima. Rather it's like death by a thousand paper cuts - the potential for many, many annoying things (and the chance for a few bigger problems) to go wrong, unless you get lucky. Too bad, because it's a nice-driving car.
I used to work here.

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 12:14:28 pm »
I don’t trust CVT technology especially in higher powered, heavier vehicles. Nissan quietly halved the warranty to five years or 100,000 kilometers. I will not underwrite a carmaker`s lack of confidence in its wares.

A caller to a recent CP24 AutoShop program told the host his Nissan CVT has been replaced three times since he bought the car new 13-months earlier, and it's making worrisome noises again - aka the whine of death.

CVTs are unrepairable, replacement only – with an OEM unit. Out of warranty reported cost $7,000+, way above my risk tolerance.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:25:43 pm by Gardiner Westbound »
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 12:24:39 pm »
The FiL has had 3 Altimas, one Gen2 2.5 SL, and two Gen3 3.5 SEs. In the first 3.5 the interior light stopped working. The dealer could not fix it. They had two options: 1.) let them conduct a thorough re-wire or 2.) trade it in for a newer 3.5. They went with the latter b/c the former wasn't garanteed to fix the problem and the interior would've been torn apart.

The second 3.5 has worked out well except for a rattle somewhere along the overhad sunglass compartment, and the radio does not offer a touch free seek; one has to keep keep pressing a button to move it to the next station.

The CVT really isn't bad in this vehicle and I have never noticed any droning and does a fine job of putting the 3.5 power to the wheels. I found the cockpit to have a good orientation towards the driver. There is A LOT of legroom in the front row, even when the seats are moved forward quite a bit so I think this would be comfortable for taller folk and/or those with long legs. I still do not like the orange dash lights though. The rear seat is wide enough for a rear-facing infant seat, a front facing child seat and an adult in between. There is plenty of room between the rear-facing infant seat and the first row when directly behind.

The FiL reports 7.0L/100km highway driving and I know he drives a hair under 120. He also puts in premium claiming better fuel economy and power.

For all of its attributes the FiL will be getting something else later b/c he finds the stereo seek operation really annoying and does not want an aftermarket stereo to ruin the continuous look dash. Goes to show how fickle some can be.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 12:29:34 pm »
My dad took a Chev Pickup in the B pillar at 60km/h and while the car was a write-off there wasn't much intrusion into the passenger space. I practically FORCED him to drive a Kia Optima to which he said there was something "wrong" with the steering (or at least the feel). He said it was nicer inside but that he preferred the drive of the Altima - so he bought another one! Totalled one was a 2009 and he just took delivery of his 2012 about a month ago.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 12:30:03 pm »

Jaeger

They are doing something "right" to drive sales - it's called BIG INCENTIVES.  A buddy just bought a new Murano - "what a great deal, I got 0% finance for 84 months...it's free money, free money I tells ya!"  I don't even know where to begin debating that type of "logic"...

I personally really like the Altima.  It was the only midsize sedan I seriously considered buying (other than the Kizashi, but that wasn't as serious...), and my Dad loves his 2008 Altima.  It's still a competitive car in its field, if showing its age now.  So Nissan puts big cash on the hood to move it - and though I dislike incentives in general, this is probably an appropriate way to do it (use incentives to continue selling old designs before newer vehicles arrive, rather than overpricing your brand new product and immediately offereing $2500 off a la GM and Ford). 

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 12:33:58 pm »
They are hardly the only ones offering 0% financing in this segment.

Jaeger

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 12:40:43 pm »

Jaeger

True, but are the newest designs doing this?  I'm betting a comparably-equipped "new" midsizer (Sonata/Optima/Passat/Camry/new Fusion) will sell for more money (total price, with financing) than the "older" midsizers (Altima/Accord/old Fusion/Mazda6). 

But I doubt Nissan is losing money on current Altima sales, even with 0% financing and cash back.  So good on them!  And while the forthcoming "new" Altima will assuredly sell for more money than the current version, the marketplace is so competitive that the difference can't be too high...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 12:44:42 pm »

Jaeger

True, but are the newest designs doing this? 

Sonata did in its first year.  I've seen others as well, but can't recall which.

Jaeger

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 12:45:51 pm »
I can attest to the lack of build quality, had one for a day, felt flimsy and cheap, lots of rattles, squeaks and a horrible styrofoam rubbing sound coming from rear window area...
But to be fair, my '11 Sonata's been disappointing.
Many squeaks,rattles at times, the dash vent on the drivers side makes a ugly crunchy plastic sound when driving over rough roads, the drivers door sounds hollow and cheap, the trunk is being repainted because of rust pits under the paint,the complete dash gauges were replaced,sway link,air bag computer,  one taillight  was replaced for condensation,the tail lights had to be taken off because where the come to a point on the fenders the plastic was rubbing the paint off.
I've e mailed Hyundai, I was nice and not nasty, not even a response...  I should not be surprised I guess....
This is the last domestic made Hyundai I'd buy. None of my prior Korean built were this bad.
But I doubt I'd even bye a Hyundai again period. Sad because I've been a fan and customer since my first car when I was 16 and bought a Pony.
I wrapped the odometer like 3 times on that thing delivering papers in the country ... Very hard on a car that job...

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 02:21:16 pm »
I can attest to the lack of build quality, had one for a day, felt flimsy and cheap, lots of rattles, squeaks and a horrible styrofoam rubbing sound coming from rear window area...
Many squeaks,rattles at times, the dash vent on the drivers side makes a ugly crunchy plastic sound when driving over rough roads, the drivers door sounds hollow and cheap, the trunk is being repainted because of rust pits under the paint,the complete dash gauges were replaced,sway link,air bag computer,  one taillight  was replaced for condensation,the tail lights had to be taken off because where the come to a point on the fenders the plastic was rubbing the paint off.
I've e mailed Hyundai, I was nice and not nasty, not even a response...  I should not be surprised I guess....
This is the last domestic made Hyundai I'd buy. None of my prior Korean built were this bad.
But I doubt I'd even bye a Hyundai again period. Sad because I've been a fan and customer since my first car when I was 16 and bought a Pony.
I wrapped the odometer like 3 times on that thing delivering papers in the country ... Very hard on a car that job...

Gee, and I as under the impression that everything Hyundai made was perfect, my own driving experiences aside.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 02:55:15 pm »
As a retailer of this fine automobile I'd say this was a pretty fair revue; death by a thousand cuts.  Still a few notches above Chrysler and certainly no worse than Ford or GM.  ;D

The CVT isn't nearly as bad as ppl suggest, although it does not suit V6 motors.  The Hybrid was a good example of what not to build just so you can say you have one.  :P

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 04:12:47 pm »
I don’t trust CVT technology especially in higher powered, heavier vehicles. Nissan quietly halved the warranty to five years or 100,000 kilometers. I will not underwrite a carmaker`s lack of confidence in its wares.

A caller to a recent CP24 AutoShop program told the host his Nissan CVT has been replaced three times since he bought the car new 13-months earlier, and it's making worrisome noises again - aka the whine of death.

CVTs are unrepairable, replacement only – with an OEM unit. Out of warranty reported cost $7,000+, way above my risk tolerance.

Gardiner peddling his own very special type of CVT hate again...

How is a CVT $7000? It's offered in vehicles that are $12000, are you telling me that $7k of that is transmission? If they're so expensive why aren't Nissans massively more expensive than their competition?

5 years, 100k is an excellent warranty standing on its own. The only reason it was "halved" was that it had also been previously doubled to assure customers that the CVTs were fine - and with the exception of some early 2007s in the Murano they are.

I don't understand why you reserve a special, blinkered hate for the CVT and feel the need to spread false information about them.

Offline Factger

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Sportwagen 4 motion 2018 Ford Edge 2013 Ford Focus SE (5 Speed Man.)
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 04:24:45 pm »
I would have bought the Maxima if I could have had it with a stick. 
Jaeger

I am still waiting. I want to see if the altima or even the maxima come with a stick and V6. Driven a maxima for the past 13 yrs. and would easily get one (altima or maxima) with a V6,stick & 4 doors.  I will test drive them with the V6 &CVT but there will be MANY other manufacturers and even different classes (compact to mid size) of vehicles to consider for "my" (not wifes)next car. 

I should step up to a G37s with a 6 speed (used out of the states) but cannot do it for some reason.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 04:42:27 pm »

Gardiner peddling his own very special type of CVT hate again...

How is a CVT $7000? It's offered in vehicles that are $12000, are you telling me that $7k of that is transmission? If they're so expensive why aren't Nissans massively more expensive than their competition?

5 years, 100k is an excellent warranty standing on its own. The only reason it was "halved" was that it had also been previously doubled to assure customers that the CVTs were fine - and with the exception of some early 2007s in the Murano they are.

I don't understand why you reserve a special, blinkered hate for the CVT and feel the need to spread false information about them.

I don't know where GW is getting his numbers for replacement CVT costs but it's certainly not unusual for parts to be many times more expensive than their original value in the car.  $7,000 wouldn't surprise me. I can remember reading accounts of many of the CVT's (since discontinued) in the 1st gen Mini failing just out of warranty and costing something like 6-8,000 installed to replace.

Didn't someone once calculate the retail cost of all the parts in a Chevy as being 4-500% of the cost of the car when new?....or is that an urban myth?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 04:59:17 pm by sailor723 »

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 06:12:32 pm »

Gee, and I as under the impression that everything Hyundai made was perfect, my own driving experiences aside.
  Sorry for your woes with your Sonata, but my '11 Sonata, with 24,000 miles now on it, two years old now...Is pretty much as new (with the exception of the super cool 18" black aftermarket wheels)..Base model/6 spd stick (with real 8 ball shifter,hehe)...Tomorrow morning, I'll be tooling down to Myrtle Beach, SC with wife, grandson, dog and a trunkload...expecting to get in the high 30's for mileage..This will be the 3rd or fourth trip to MB with this car...I've had a few trips over 40 MPG...I'm thinking these new wheels and tires are hurting my MPG a few miles..We'll see...
   A few years back I test drove this latest model Altima...4 cylinder/6 spd stick...Really nice car..I somehoe find the styling a little bland..and think it may have something to do with the undersized wheels...I would have gone with the stick shift base model and flipped the 16 inch steelies for aftermarket, if I had bought it... Anyone notice the price for these air pressure sending units?  Yoiks  60 bucks a tire.  Shocking!  Christ, I just wrote a novelette...Sorry    Jack