Author Topic: New tires for the 2009 GTI  (Read 22630 times)

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: New tires for the 2009 GTI
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2015, 03:51:57 pm »
Just got my son (Pontial Vibe GT) a set of General Tire Altimax RT43 (Made in the USA and owned by Continental Tire Co.)

Very Good Reviews on tire sites and good competitive pricing and current $35 rebate on set of 4.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+(T-Speed+Rated)

http://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/general/altimax-rt43/p/style/65311#.VUKEJY7F_Lk

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/General/Altimax+RT

Mom has those tires on her 2005 Odyssey last year. Very reasonably priced, quiet and smooth riding. Not sure about wear yet.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2015, 09:00:25 pm »
Tires are on the car now. Early impressions from my drive home from Mississauga...

Quiet - I know I'm use to the noise from my winters so everything is relevant but the tires are nice and quiet. Took them up to 140 and could barely hear them.

Ride/handling - I really like the ride these give. Firm but not rough. Feels very smooth. Turn-in is very good.

I only had the chance to go through a couple of round-a-bouts but there were cars in my way so I always had to stop/slow to a crawl before entering. I can notice more grip than my winters (as they should) and will slowly try to find the limits. Still have no troubles getting the TC light to have a stroke when of full boost in second gear.

I will say that my 5 year old winter tires (Hankook ipike's) were still working very well on dry and warm roads. Although noisy and 'rough' I could still push them hard.

I have some more hwy miles coming up soon and will probably find time to go around the round-a-bouts again (hopefully with no traffic) and will updated again later.

Looking through my emails I noticed that in 2012 I had a quote for Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus for $1100 which is $200 more than I paid for these. That also reminds me that I only got 3 years out of my Yoko Envigor's. I might have been able to squeeze another summer out of them but I wouldn't trust them in the wet so not worth it.

Looking forward to your impressions once you get them broken in and some miles on them.

Funny, but when I put my summer tires on last week, I couldn't believe how noisy they were. Guess my winters are actually pretty quiet.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2015, 09:23:27 pm »
Tires are on the car now. Early impressions from my drive home from Mississauga...

Quiet - I know I'm use to the noise from my winters so everything is relevant but the tires are nice and quiet. Took them up to 140 and could barely hear them.

Ride/handling - I really like the ride these give. Firm but not rough. Feels very smooth. Turn-in is very good.

I only had the chance to go through a couple of round-a-bouts but there were cars in my way so I always had to stop/slow to a crawl before entering. I can notice more grip than my winters (as they should) and will slowly try to find the limits. Still have no troubles getting the TC light to have a stroke when of full boost in second gear.

I will say that my 5 year old winter tires (Hankook ipike's) were still working very well on dry and warm roads. Although noisy and 'rough' I could still push them hard.

I have some more hwy miles coming up soon and will probably find time to go around the round-a-bouts again (hopefully with no traffic) and will updated again later.

Looking through my emails I noticed that in 2012 I had a quote for Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus for $1100 which is $200 more than I paid for these. That also reminds me that I only got 3 years out of my Yoko Envigor's. I might have been able to squeeze another summer out of them but I wouldn't trust them in the wet so not worth it.

Looking forward to your impressions once you get them broken in and some miles on them.

Funny, but when I put my summer tires on last week, I couldn't believe how noisy they were. Guess my winters are actually pretty quiet.

I really notice the grip difference with these Michelin Pilots A/S 3 compare to my Continental winter contacts.  Not as easy for the T/C to come on, or to chirp the tires.  I do notice they are more firm (they are 18'' vs 17'').  They are both very quiet.  And these are very smooth.  When making sharp turns in 2nd gear, I really notice how planted they are.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2015, 09:28:00 pm »
^^ Sorry, but comparisons between these and winter tires aren't particularly useful.

Don't know about others, but I want to know how these compare to a true summer tire.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2015, 09:29:13 pm »
^^ Sorry, but comparisons between these and winter tires aren't particularly useful.

Don't know about others, but I want to know how these compare to a true summer tire.

I've already told you......having previously run dedicated summers on all our cars...

This feels identical to a dedicated summer...but is MILES better in the wet.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2015, 09:38:27 pm »

That's true.  Just giving feedback to what I noticed when using these tires.  They are better than the OEM Yokohama (I forget which ones) that the car came with....  So that's high performance all season vs just all seasons....

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2015, 10:44:21 pm »
I've already told you......having previously run dedicated summers on all our cars...

Okay, I believe you.  :rofl2:

So it's basically a summer tire that's really good in the wet. I've already got summer tires that are good enough for me in the wet, so the only reason I'd consider these is if they are actually useful in snow/ice/cold. So how do they compare to a "good" all-season in winter conditions?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2015, 10:53:13 pm »

Okay, I believe you.  :rofl2:

So it's basically a summer tire that's really good in the wet. I've already got summer tires that are good enough for me in the wet, so the only reason I'd consider these is if they are actually useful in snow/ice/cold. So how do they compare to a "good" all-season in winter conditions?

I mean...these aren't really good...these are INCREDIBLE in the wet.  It feels as if you are on dry.  Yes..they are THAT good.

I have not driven these in the snow...so from that perspective, I'm of no help whatsoever. 

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2015, 08:19:37 am »
@quadzilla:  Looking forward to hearing some follow-on reports.  Sounds like you don't regret your decision!  I would like to see pics of the tires on your car, too. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2015, 05:03:46 pm »
It rained today but I was drinking in a buddies basement. By time I left the roads were all dried up again so I didn't get to check out the wet traction they are so famous for. Next time.

For the last few days I've had my Mom in the car so no crazy G's while getting on/off the hwy or round-a-bouts. Tires are still quiet (should be use to the lesser noise now) and smooth in the city and hwy.

After dropping Mom off I was able to take an easy off ramp with some speed and I'm starting to try and find the limits of the tires. Can notice more lateral grip but still super easy to spin the tires in second gear.

Might make a Costo run tomorrow which means round-a-bouts and on/off ramps.

I would like to see pics of the tires on your car, too. 

Here you go....If you want different angles just ask.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2015, 06:21:53 pm »
They look nice and square-shouldered.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2015, 10:09:01 am »
Did some more 'testing' of the tires yesterday and have to say that I really like them. Plenty of grip, quiet, great ride. I also think my f/e hasn't changed either, will be doing another London run soon to get more data for this.

Blasted through some round-a-bouts and if I had any more grip I would just get myself into more trouble.

Still need to test the wet performance but that is something I can wait for.