Author Topic: Fuse keeps blowing  (Read 7205 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Fuse keeps blowing
« on: June 23, 2016, 05:48:57 pm »
2008 Hyundai Entourage Limited.

The Air Bag light on the instrument cluster came on a few days ago.  Then yesterday I was driving the car at night, when I opened the door, I noticed the interior lights weren't coming on.  Forced them on manual, still nothing.  Checked the fuse for the interior lights, it was blown.  Replaced it, they worked fine.  Then at the same time the Air Bag light went off (although its a different fuse).  A few moments later the Air Bag light come back on.  I tried the interior lights, they weren't working.  Checked the fuse, blown!  Put a new fuse in, sparked on the spot!  Use the recommended rating.

At the moment, made an appt for the car to be serviced Wednesday morning.  Maybe I can find something on the forums on the weekend. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Fuse keeps blowing
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 07:23:47 pm »
Oh, you've got a short.  UGH.  They can be real bears to track down.  Yeah, check model specific forums first - this might be a known issue - diagnosis can be really hard.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 08:01:30 pm »
Was this vehicle recently wired for a trailer?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 08:03:36 pm »
Bigger fuse  ;D
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 08:13:13 pm »
Bigger fuse  ;D
Just stick a nail in the slot lol

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 08:13:34 pm »
Bigger fuse  ;D

HA!!  I thought the same thing!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 08:28:38 pm »
It does work.  Start with a 20.   ;D

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 10:12:06 pm »
You have a short someplace for sure.  Fun times.

I have a short in race car, just found tonight.  2 hours debugging getting closer....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 11:07:27 pm »

I have a short in race car, just found tonight.  2 hours debugging getting closer....

What race car?

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 11:11:58 pm »
This kinda stuff sucks. You can read up on tips for findings shorts for days....but heres a couple things to try and think about...
Find out everything on that circuit and careful inspect the device itself for signs of damaged/corrosion. Failing that, shorts like to occur where wires are moving/bending regularly, like where they run through the door jam, rear hatch, or around the seats. Since you're getting an airbag light, and this thing likely has side impact bags in the seats, I'd take a good look underneath the seat to see if the harness is getting caught in the track....Or even move the seat around and see if that changes anything.
It hasn't rained in weeks, but have you taken it through a wash? Maybe water got in somewhere it shouldn't, check for wet carpets, headliner, or water in the overhead dome lights.

One thing I sometimes do (usually with the British stuff) is print a bunch of wiring schematics, lay them all out and using colored pencils trace back each wire from the known commonality (in this case the fuse), then go back to the car and check each connection/component along the way. It's tedious and frustration and I hate it. lol

Oh, and did you buy fuses from CT? If so, thanks for your support  ;D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 01:42:27 am »
This kinda stuff sucks. You can read up on tips for findings shorts for days....but heres a couple things to try and think about...
Find out everything on that circuit and careful inspect the device itself for signs of damaged/corrosion. Failing that, shorts like to occur where wires are moving/bending regularly, like where they run through the door jam, rear hatch, or around the seats. Since you're getting an airbag light, and this thing likely has side impact bags in the seats, I'd take a good look underneath the seat to see if the harness is getting caught in the track....Or even move the seat around and see if that changes anything.
It hasn't rained in weeks, but have you taken it through a wash? Maybe water got in somewhere it shouldn't, check for wet carpets, headliner, or water in the overhead dome lights.

One thing I sometimes do (usually with the British stuff) is print a bunch of wiring schematics, lay them all out and using colored pencils trace back each wire from the known commonality (in this case the fuse), then go back to the car and check each connection/component along the way. It's tedious and frustration and I hate it. lol

Oh, and did you buy fuses from CT? If so, thanks for your support  ;D

^This.

Electrical in cars is a PITA.

Does it have an aftermarket remote start? Cheap ones or bad installs can cause all sorts of issues.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 08:18:40 am »
Thanks for the tips guys. 

No remote start.
A brake controller was added in May. 
Never washed the vehicle since I got it in April or so.
I will check for a wiring diagram online, forums, and connections under the seats. 

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 10:01:07 am »

What race car?

Neon

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 11:24:04 am »

No remote start.
I will check for a wiring diagram online, forums, and connections under the seats.

Sometimes interior lights are also wired with other things, on an Audi my dash lights were wired with reverse lights or license plate lights or something.   Could be the problem is at the back of the car, have a good look at your trailer wiring and see what else is on the lighting circuit.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 01:47:56 pm »

No remote start.

Sometimes interior lights are also wired with other things, on an Audi my dash lights were wired with reverse lights or license plate lights or something.   Could be the problem is at the back of the car, have a good look at your trailer wiring and see what else is on the lighting circuit.

If I didn't have my eye injury, I would jack up the car some, and take a better look.  But I have to keep my eye clean, and wipe away the water from my tear ducts every so often. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 02:52:42 pm »

What race car?

Neon
Was the short on the entertainment system or the AC  ???  ;D

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 04:10:11 pm »
Found the cause for the fuse of the interior light that keeps blowing.  It's the overhead console.  That has the sunroof, power sliding doors, power tailgate.  It was cracked before (by my Dad), and I guess it's been used more by our family, with some bare wire inside, this is the cause.  Plastic is so brittle, will probably need a new one.  Dealer wants like $350 US, because it's the fackin limited trim.  4 autowreckers don't have any, because not a popular van.  Checking ebay, amazon, looks closer to $150 US.  But I want to confirm part # with dealer and the seller online. 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 04:33:05 pm »
Can't you just tape up the bare wire inside an use as is? Or is the whole thing going to fall apart when you try to get in there? Seems weird for a 2008 to have plastic that brittle....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 04:50:34 pm »
Found the cause for the fuse of the interior light that keeps blowing.  It's the overhead console.  That has the sunroof, power sliding doors, power tailgate.  It was cracked before (by my Dad), and I guess it's been used more by our family, with some bare wire inside, this is the cause.  Plastic is so brittle, will probably need a new one.  Dealer wants like $350 US, because it's the fackin limited trim.  4 autowreckers don't have any, because not a popular van.  Checking ebay, amazon, looks closer to $150 US.  But I want to confirm part # with dealer and the seller online.

Check out http://car-part.com/  It's a used part finding website linked in to thousands of wreckers.  If they won't ship to Canada, PM me and I'll give you my US address and I'll bring it across then mail it along to you.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 08:44:36 pm »

Check out http://car-part.com/  It's a used part finding website linked in to thousands of wreckers.  If they won't ship to Canada, PM me and I'll give you my US address and I'll bring it across then mail it along to you.

Thanks Rocket, when going to the website, I can't even find "Overhead Console" in the pull down list for parts.