Author Topic: VW alleged to have rigged diesel engines for cleaner emissions test results  (Read 158506 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
They should be bought back at black book. This program should be no different than the Tacoma buy back.
that isn't very fair to people with vehicles that are in great shape and who have no intention on buying another vehicle (my parents and my brother would be a perfect example)...the Tacoma buyback made sense as the vehicle could have a potentially fatal catastrophic structural collapse...this emissions issue is in no way going to result in someone's vehicle bending in half on the highway and causing a massive accident.

It think Toyota bought them back at %150 of black book value.  I'm willing to take %200  :P

Sadly none of the VW gas engine are attractive to me. My wife drive 40,000 + a year all highway. What else on the market would cost $5 or less per 100km right now?

Prius

^Also this
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Even real world (Fuelly) the Prius gets better highway mileage than a diesel VW.

I suppose a Lexus CT200 would work too.

New Accord hybrid is due out in 2017 also.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
Even real world (Fuelly) the Prius gets better highway mileage than a diesel VW.

The Prius has an interesting drivetrain as well, but it doesn't compare to the larger VWs for highway use. The available torque and better NVH characteristics make VW diesels preferable. However, if fuel economy is the only concern, then yes, a Prius will do fine. I would suggest a Camry hybrid is preferable in terms of highway comfort.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

The Prius has an interesting drivetrain as well, but it doesn't compare to the larger VWs for highway use. The available torque and better NVH characteristics make VW diesels preferable. However, if fuel economy is the only concern, then yes, a Prius will do fine. I would suggest a Camry hybrid is preferable in terms of highway comfort.

In that case, you'd want a Lexus ES hybrid.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
ES Hybrid is probably the most comfortable hybrid short of hyper-expensive flagship cars.  While I like the RX-hybrid, the ES is more comfortable for highway cruising and costs a lot less too.

My neighbour had an Es-hybrid loaner from the dealer - they really want him to replace his current ES350.  Driving on the freeway as a passenger I felt like I could move in - condo comfy.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
ES Hybrid is probably the most comfortable hybrid short of hyper-expensive flagship cars.  While I like the RX-hybrid, the ES is more comfortable for highway cruising and costs a lot less too.

My neighbour had an Es-hybrid loaner from the dealer - they really want him to replace his current ES350.  Driving on the freeway as a passenger I felt like I could move in - condo comfy.

I bet the Lincoln MKS would be OK too for highway cruising

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
The Globe and Mail is reporting that Canadian VW's are included in the agreement with the US, so same program: buy-back, cash and whatever.  Wonder if it is all the same pot of money, now spread over an additional 100,00 cars?

I was surprised at the number quoted for Canada at 100,000 vs the just under 500,000 for the US.  We must really like our VW's compared to the US as that is a better share by population.

Sorry, I read the article on my BB G&M app, so no link.  They quoted VW Canada spokesman Thomas Tetzlaff, article dated April 21.

And in other related news, German car manufacturers will recall 630,000 Porsche, Volkswagen Opel, Audi and Mercedes vehicles to fix diesel emissions management software, a German government official said on Friday, widening a clampdown on pollution in the wake of the Volkswagen scandal.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/german-carmakers-recall-diesel-emissions-1.3548141

2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
TORONTO - Canadian owners of about 100,000 Volkswagen vehicles caught in the scandal over VW cars designed to cheat on U.S. emissions tests will have to wait at least until late June to learn details of how the issue will be resolved.
U.S. District Court Judge Charles Breyer announced Thursday that an agreement-in-principle had been reached that addresses the majority of vehicles affected by the ongoing TDI emissions issue.

Breyer has ordered all parties to keep the specifics of the agreement confidential until full details are filed in court on June 21.

In a release Thursday, Volkswagen Canada said owners do not need to take any action at this time and they will be provided with next steps once they are available.
Under the tentative agreement outlined by Breyer, owners of polluting Volkswagens would have the option of selling them back to the company or getting them repaired at VW's expense.
Volkswagen has admitted some diesel cars had software installed to cheat on emission tests after the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency publicly revealed the scheme last September. The carmaker has said about 500,000 cars had cheated emissions tests and about 100,000 of them were sold in Canada.
"We appreciate the ongoing patience and loyalty of our Canadian Volkswagen customers, employees and dealers, and we will provide more details as additional information is released," Volkswagen Canada said Thursday.

Details of the agreement are expected to come out over the next couple of months. Breyer set a June 21 deadline for attorneys from the U.S. Justice Department and for Volkswagen owners to file additional paperwork about the agreement.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/owners-of-polluting-vw-vehicles-could-hear-details-of-deal-in-june-1.2870321
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 10:31:37 am by conwelpic »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
I was surprised at the number quoted for Canada at 100,000 vs the just under 500,000 for the US.  We must really like our VW's compared to the US as that is a better share by population.
VW does reasonably well in Canada (considering the small size of our market) and their take rate on TDi units was usually around 50%...they obviously sold a LOT more vehicles in the USA, but not as many TDi units (as a percentage)...Amercians don't like diesels, unless it's a heavy duty pick up.

as well, with VW's recent success with their 1.4T, 1.8T and 2.0T gasoline engines, the efficiency gap between gas and diesel has shrunk vs several years ago.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
if your inclined for more details with what took place in court yesterday you can check out here, as they also provide a summary and the actual court transcript.

http://jalopnik.com/vw-finally-has-a-plan-to-fix-dieselgate-heres-the-whol-1772346691

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
the June 21st deadline has been extended another week (now June 28th) for a final answer and solution (hopefully)

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-idUSKCN0Z12VI

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
some results that have been released by the Department of Justice in the US at 9:30 this morning

http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/volkswagen-settles-emissions-cheating-cases-for-us-14-7b-1.2963954

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Still, we won't know individual amounts for some time yet.  Waiting to start my new thread....  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Still, we won't know individual amounts for some time yet.  Waiting to start my new thread....  :rofl2:
ya still pretty vague.

Just did a car value on VMR ... 2011 highline with Nav dsg, 167km = $11,200  seams low.

Is that trade in? Seems about right to me.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I think VMR values might be a bit on the low side.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Not sure if this is legit.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Has little to do with the exchange rate I would think, and instead the values and prices of the Canadian spec cars.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

I've read couple pages on the tdi forum.  Looks like the release for the US settlement but Canadian will probably be couple days /weeks.  Is it not clear if the buyback amount includes the $5,100 compensation.

If I read it right mine would be (2011 highline dsg 105Mileage)

USD
$19,067
Sunroof + $540
Nav + $630

if the $5,100 is not included then $25,337  USD......BOOM!  but I don't think so.

what would be reasonable exchange rate?

Use 1:1, why would they pay more in Canada.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

I've read couple pages on the tdi forum.  Looks like the release for the US settlement but Canadian will probably be couple days /weeks.  Is it not clear if the buyback amount includes the $5,100 compensation.

If I read it right mine would be (2011 highline dsg 105Mileage)

USD
$19,067
Sunroof + $540
Nav + $630

if the $5,100 is not included then $25,337  USD......BOOM!  but I don't think so.

what would be reasonable exchange rate?

Use 1:1, why would they pay more in Canada.

Technically wouldn't they pay less if the dollar if worth less?  But I guess is doesn't matter...  Court date for Canada is July 29.  It was just posted on VW.ca

Sorry yes, I'm so used to marking stuff up, at work we buy in USD and sell in CAD.  :(