Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Cadillac XTS  (Read 4742 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2013 Cadillac XTS
« on: June 11, 2012, 04:06:03 am »

Cadillac's new XTS scores on many counts. But will the brand's older buyers warm to its high-tech interior?

Read More...

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2013 Cadillac XTS
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 07:53:23 am »
 Thanks for a nice review...Mannn , that front-end is, if nothing else, in your face...Shouting...with big, bared grill teeth.."I'm a freakin' Caddy!!!" Love the car...Jack

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 11:13:13 am »
Looks like a really solid effort by Cadillac and I really like it inside and out.  Very good point about whether it might be a little too techie for it's target audience. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 11:18:28 am »
So what the hell is the difference between this and the DTS??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:19:42 am »
I agree, but even if they can't figure it out, they can still boast to their friends and acquaintances that the car has all that tech.

Owner "My car can nearly drive itself!"
Friend "Cool! Show me how"
Owner "I don't know how to"

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 11:27:21 am »
Good point raised about the XTS' target demographic and the potential limits of their tech literacy, but I would argue that today's ~65 y.o. is a lot more tech-savvy than even half a generation ago. I don't know about you guys but my DTS-driving dad, who turns 67 next month, is an iPad addict, as are many of his buddies. I'd count on Cadillac and GM having done the market research and come to a similar conclusion.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 11:30:08 am »
Why do all Cadillac cars look exactly the same and just differ is size? Tells me the designers are terrified to try something different between models...as though straying from the CTS will mean certain death. How long do you think the XTS will be around? One generation? Two?

How is this any different from BMW, Audi and maybe to a lesser extent Mercedes? They all have a common familial look.

The XTS is a stop-gap until the new full size Omega platform, RWD model is launched in 2015. I doubt it will be around longer than that.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 11:32:29 am »
Seems like a decent enough car...perfect for Grandpa but he'll never figure out the tech. Good looking for a Cadillac but not for the segment. Why do all Cadillac cars look exactly the same and just differ is size? Tells me the designers are terrified to try something different between models...as though straying from the CTS will mean certain death. How long do you think the XTS will be around? One generation? Two?

I'm an E-Class guy and would never, ever consider a Cadillac...ever.

You drive a modern Mercedes and you're accusing Cadillac of relying on derivative styling through their model range? Ever see an S-class and a C-class side by side? ::)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 11:35:31 am »
Good point raised about the XTS' target demographic and the potential limits of their tech literacy, but I would argue that today's ~65 y.o. is a lot more tech-savvy than even half a generation ago. I don't know about you guys but my DTS-driving dad, who turns 67 next month, is an iPad addict, as are many of his buddies. I'd count on Cadillac and GM having done the market research and come to a similar conclusion.

Your dad is a minority. My dads in his mid 50's and him and his buddies have no clue to even what 5% of the potential of the phones in their pockets is. I think Cadillac is taking a huge gamble hoping that these "tech savvy" senior citizens will crawl out of the woodwork. If they want to play to their proper demographics all Caddys should come with a start crank handle in the front bumper, a rumble seat and wooden spoke wheels, than they would be familiar to their owners.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 11:41:21 am »

Your dad is a minority. My dads in his mid 50's and him and his buddies have no clue to even what 5% of the potential of the phones in their pockets is. I think Cadillac is taking a huge gamble hoping that these "tech savvy" senior citizens will crawl out of the woodwork. If they want to play to their proper demographics all Caddys should come with a start crank handle in the front bumper, a rumble seat and wooden spoke wheels, than they would be familiar to their owners.

The average age of a new car buyer in the US is right around 56 years old. The average age of a Cadillac buyer is 58 IIRC.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 11:43:47 am »
That includes the CTS and that Equinox knock off CUV thing. Im thinking for the DTS, it would be a lot higher.....especially at the number that are hearses and funeral home limos.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 11:48:52 am »
If they want to play to their proper demographics all Caddys should come with a start crank handle in the front bumper, a rumble seat and wooden spoke wheels, than they would be familiar to their owners.

LOL ouch! Fair enough. But have you sat in a current DTS? Even that model is already chock-full of gizmos, digital displays, and buttons. My guess is if the old-timers were able to figure those out, they'll be fine with the new controls, even if they have to take a little more time to learn how it all works the first few times. IMHO these big Caddy's, though decidedly old-school, are not cheap. WIth a few exceptions to the chronically tech-un-savvy, if XTS buyers, regardless of age, have been smart and competent enough to prosper in this modern, increasingly computerized world, to the point of affording a $60k luxury car, they're probably smart enough to figure out the new interior. Just my $0.02.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 11:54:42 am »
If they want to play to their proper demographics all Caddys should come with a start crank handle in the front bumper, a rumble seat and wooden spoke wheels, than they would be familiar to their owners.

LOL ouch! Fair enough. But have you sat in a current DTS? Even that model is already chock-full of gizmos, digital displays, and buttons. My guess is if the old-timers were able to figure those out, they'll be fine with the new controls, even if they have to take a little more time to learn how it all works the first few times. IMHO these big Caddy's, though decidedly old-school, are not cheap. WIth a few exceptions to the chronically tech-un-savvy, if XTS buyers, regardless of age, have been smart and competent enough to prosper in this modern, increasingly computerized world, to the point of affording a $60k luxury car, they're probably smart enough to figure out the new interior. Just my $0.02.

I was exagerating of course  ;D Im just saying, that if they get too complicated, see the BMW I-Drive for proper misaplication of technology, then they might scare away a lot of their buyers. Cadillac used to be the nearly dead age brackets preffered mode of transport, but even I cant deny that they have dropped their age group significantly in the last few years. Thank to the Avalon and Buick....someone took over that demographic.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 12:06:50 pm »

I was exagerating of course  ;D Im just saying, that if they get too complicated, see the BMW I-Drive for proper misaplication of technology, then they might scare away a lot of their buyers. Cadillac used to be the nearly dead age brackets preffered mode of transport, but even I cant deny that they have dropped their age group significantly in the last few years. Thank to the Avalon and Buick....someone took over that demographic.

It's true the first iDrive was too complicated and cumbersome, and many people complained about it. Very interestingly, however, that model 7-series was still a huge success for BMW. Obviously the car had a lot of other strengths to attract reticent buyers, and I'd concede Cadillac wouldn't be able to rely on the same strategy, e.g. the XTS will not drive like a 7-series. Still, it goes to show customers can look past the control layout if the rest of the car is compelling enough.

Re: Cadillac slowly phasing out their old-school cars - doesn't seem like they have a choice there and they need to change with the times. Demographics are changing - 40 and 50 year olds today, who are driving 5-series and A6's will not, barring dementia, suddenly want to drive an old-school land barge in 10 years' time.

nsmyhte

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 03:33:37 pm »
So what the hell is the difference between this and the DTS??

Pretty much every single thing.  Engine, transmission, suspension, chassis, interior, exterior (its about 5-6" shorter), CUE, features.  The only thing in common is that they are fwd.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 04:12:45 pm »

Could be true.  I know that my 67year old Father would hate living without a computer and internet now and is on Facebook every day!  LOL   ;D    He's probably not the norm though. 

Like I mentioned before, I think the XTS is a real solid offering by Caddilac.  It really looks very nice inside and out from the pics I've seen. 

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 09:01:54 pm »
Your dad is a minority. My dads in his mid 50's and him and his buddies have no clue to even what 5% of the potential of the phones in their pockets is.

In other words, he and his friends are like most people when it comes to their mobile phone.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 06:36:30 am »
Your dad is a minority. My dads in his mid 50's and him and his buddies have no clue to even what 5% of the potential of the phones in their pockets is.

In other words, he and his friends are like most people when it comes to their mobile phone.

I would agree with that!

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 02:56:24 pm »
This car is intended as a livery model and will do particularly well in China, where the owner will never drive it anyway.

I am in the group of buyers at this price point and this car does nothing for me. I would not buy FWD at this price when RWD is available in several very competitive models. The Lexus GS350 comes to mind.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.