Author Topic: Test-Drive: 2012 Nissan NV 2500  (Read 8003 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test-Drive: 2012 Nissan NV 2500
« on: October 13, 2011, 04:03:27 am »

Not just a box on wheels, Nissan's NV incorporates features to make the workday easier, reports Jil McIntosh.

Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: Test-Drive: 2012 Nissan NV 2500
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 09:09:31 am »
"....there’s no diesel option with none planned. The company says there just isn’t enough interest from van buyers."

I find this interesting since The Dodge Sprinter, had sold 130,000 units between 2001-2009 in Canada/USA alone.

The Nissan EV is essentially a commercial van\small business van. Why then is it without a diesel option ? Welcome to the big diesel cover up in North America.

Hate to sound like a conspiratist but this is getting ridiculous. Do they really think were that stupid simply because were on the other side of the pond !!!!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 09:33:56 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 09:26:36 am »
Saw one company using one of these in my area.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 10:32:50 am »
"....there’s no diesel option with none planned. The company says there just isn’t enough interest from van buyers."

I find this interesting since The Dodge Sprinter, had sold 130,000 units between 2001-2009 in Canada/USA alone.

The Nissan EV is essentially a commercial van\small business van. Why then is it without a diesel option ? Welcome to the big diesel cover up in North America.

Hate to sound like a conspiratist but this is getting ridiculous. Do they really think were that stupid simply because were on the other side of the pond !!!!
I believe that people EXPECT Mercedes to produce diesels as they have done so for NA for many, many years now... but who expects Nissan to make a diesel.  If Nissan had made a diesel Tundra/Titan for a few years I bet they'd find a demand for a diesel NV2500
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 11:08:07 am »

I believe that people EXPECT Mercedes to produce diesels as they have done so for NA for many, many years now... but who expects Nissan to make a diesel.  If Nissan had made a diesel Tundra/Titan for a few years I bet they'd find a demand for a diesel NV2500
You are clearly thinking with a local mindset. Nissan has been manufacturing diesels for decades and in many countries are better know for their trucks then their cars. "Sheep expect what there and shown" People have the ability to research and know the facts. "Stay thirsty my friends" http://staythirstymyfriends.com/

http://wardsauto.com/ar/nissan_diesel_titan_100409/

http://www.wheels.ca/article/256062
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 11:15:10 am by redman »

Casa Eco-habitada

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 11:17:17 am »
Thank you for this information. It was very useful for me!

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 12:20:32 pm »

As someone who runs a fleet of commercial vehicles, and who has tried diesels in light duty applications, I would not buy a diesel in North America. Fuel quality is too iffy, service costs are too high and downtime is a killer.

No cover-up here. Gasoline for less than 5 ton, please. Diesel for over 5 ton.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 01:28:03 pm »
Good to hear an opinion from someone who uses the products. My b.i.l. who runs a industrial electrical business swears by his Duramax diesel van, claiming lower cost of ownership. Just has brakes issues, apparently there not up to the spec of the rest of the van.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 03:12:17 pm »

You are clearly thinking with a local mindset. Nissan has been manufacturing diesels for decades and in many countries are better know for their trucks then their cars. "Sheep expect what there and shown" People have the ability to research and know the facts. "Stay thirsty my friends" http://staythirstymyfriends.com/

http://wardsauto.com/ar/nissan_diesel_titan_100409/

http://www.wheels.ca/article/256062
As I said, thinking locally, people in NA do not expect to buy diesels from NIssan.   I cannot argue about Nissan trucks in the rest of the world.  I believe you and from the Wards article I am sure there will be diesel P/U trucks and probably the NV as well. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 04:24:09 pm »

Ford, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota and GM all killed their small diesels for their pickups. None of them could make the business case stick. Part of an answer I gave to a similar question in a different thread.

The 4.4L that Ford was going to use in the F150 is currently in production for Range Rover along side the 6.7L diesel engine in Chihuahua Mexico. Like the 6.7L they can meet emissions standards, but they cancelled the engine for the F150. It boiled down to the fact that it wasn't much cheaper to produce than the 6.7L. How many people are going to pony up an additional $8-9k to get a diesel in a light duty truck?

For the rest of the manufacturers, their programs were really far along when the plug was pulled. The 5L Cummins was to be used in the Ram and Nissan, Isuzu had completed the design for the Toyota. GM even had the 4.5L Duramax at SEMA back in 2007.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J4wFwIXC7U

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 06:17:30 pm »
If I understand it, European new cars are taxed differently depending on engine type. Diesels are taxed much less, and that's the reason so many on the continent buy them. I heard it said that if that wasn't the case, most Europeans would buy gas engines instead. Dunno how accurate that is, but if it is, it would dispel the "myth" that Europeans "get" diesels in a way that North American's don't understand.
I used to work here.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1252/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 06:20:24 pm »
If I understand it, European new cars are taxed differently depending on engine type. Diesels are taxed much less, and that's the reason so many on the continent buy them. I heard it said that if that wasn't the case, most Europeans would buy gas engines instead. Dunno how accurate that is, but if it is, it would dispel the "myth" that Europeans "get" diesels in a way that North American's don't understand.

Plus in several countries, the price of diesel is over 10 Euros cheaper per liter.

Country    Gas    Diesel
Austria    1.35    1.31
Belgium    1.44    1.30
Czech Rep    1.32    1.32
Denmark    1.47    1.34
France    1.48    1.30
Germany    1.49    1.36
Greece    1.59    1.40
Hungary    1.19    1.18
Ireland    1.50    1.43
Italy    1.63    1.52
Latvia    1.24    1.24
Luxembourg    1.32    1.18
Netherlands    1.55    1.32
Norway    1.78    1.65
Poland    1.22    1.20
Portugal    1.50    1.35
Slovakia    1.46    1.35
Slovenia    1.31    1.24
Spain    1.33    1.25
Sweden    1.48    1.53
Switzerland    1.38    1.40
United Kingdom    1.58    1.62
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 07:51:07 pm »

In the UK the taxes on the car are identical gas or diesel.  Diesel is more expensive but the superior mileage more than makes up for it.  Recently the annual licence is different depending on the CO2 emissions and diesel emit less CO2.  Importantly some of the diesels sold in the EU have incredible performance. Jaguars, BMWs, M-Bs and even a Porsche Panamera now I think.  They have a whole range of diesels in to 2.0 to 4.4l range which over there can run without "exhaust fluid"  although this might change.  In a mid sized car in the UK ( Modeo, through BMW 530 size) you would definitely buy a diesel for performance and economy.

Years ago ( like until less than 10 years ago ) France subsidized diesel fuel heavily and that still shows in RR's table. The subsidy is smaller now

and he means Eurocents cheaper not euros cheaper.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 07:53:44 pm »

In the UK the taxes on the car are identical gas or diesel.  Diesel is more expensive but the superior mileage more than makes up for it.  Recently the annual licence is different depending on the CO2 emissions and diesel emit less CO2.  Importantly some of the diesels sold in the EU have incredible performance. Jaguars, BMWs, M-Bs and even a Porsche Panamera now I think.  They have a whole range of diesels in to 2.0 to 4.4l range which over there can run without "exhaust fluid"  although this might change.  In a mid sized car in the UK ( Modeo, through BMW 530 size) you would definitely buy a diesel for performance and economy.

Years ago ( like until less than 10 years ago ) France subsidized diesel fuel heavily and that still shows in RR's table. The subsidy is smaller now

and he means Eurocents cheaper not euros cheaper.

Oh yes, CO2 emissions. That's the taxation difference I was thinking of. Hence why UK and Euro car mags list each car's CO2 rating next to the gas mileage. It's this tax that must be helping hybrid sales in the UK. I was in London a few weeks ago, and the place is crawling with Prii.

Until (and if) such a taxy/levy/charge is instituted here, we're unlikely to see any major shift in the unpopularity of diesels here.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 07:56:16 pm by chrischasescars »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 09:19:18 pm »

Oh yes, CO2 emissions. That's the taxation difference I was thinking of. Hence why UK and Euro car mags list each car's CO2 rating next to the gas mileage. It's this tax that must be helping hybrid sales in the UK. I was in London a few weeks ago, and the place is crawling with Prii.

Until (and if) such a taxy/levy/charge is instituted here, we're unlikely to see any major shift in the unpopularity of diesels here.

I think Prius get a break on the congestion charge too don't they?

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 10:47:13 pm »

I think Prius get a break on the congestion charge too don't they?

I believe so. I read up on it briefly while I was there, and IIRC, cars that emit less than a certain level of CO2 are exempt. I think the level is set such that hybrids and EVs, and maybe the smallest, most efficient diesels are the only cars that are exempt.

EDIT: Here we go. Transport for London says all cars that emit less than 100 g/km of CO2 (based on government ratings) are 100% exempt from the congestion charge: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/congestioncharging/6733.aspx#Greener_vehicles
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 10:56:28 pm by chrischasescars »

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 12:21:42 am »
Good to hear an opinion from someone who uses the products. My b.i.l. who runs a industrial electrical business swears by his Duramax diesel van, claiming lower cost of ownership. Just has brakes issues, apparently there not up to the spec of the rest of the van.

If the diesel were being driven by the person who actually owned it, then things would probably be better. However, when you have a youngster behind the wheel, the lower the tech the better, speaking from personal experience!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 06:21:56 am »
one thing I like having a pick up with a cab over a van is the ride is quieter nice you go not hear your tools bouncing around

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 08:39:50 am »
Having driven recent diesels in Europe I can offer my opinion on there driveability. I drove a 1.3 CDTI Ecotec and found it to be superior to a gasoline 1.8 liter that I also drove back to back while on vacation. The 1.3 CDTI Ecotec was quite and had gobs of torque especially useful going up mountains. The fact that it got better fuel economy of was secondary to it's performance. Given the option I would purchase the diesel.

TheKnownSpace

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 11:01:46 am »
 Overall this a very well thought-out van for it's intended prupose, but I Wonder if Nissan will face any brand-loyalty issues when they release this van, not for new work buyers, but for the demographic Nissan wants to get out of their Ford Econolines and Chevy/GMC Expresses/Savannas. I work at a Carpentry/Warehouse oriented stair-building shop, most of our installers that come to the shop in their E-series van or GM twin, when you get them talking about trucks, suprisingly they are usually fiercely brand loyal, even when it comes to work vans

On a smaller note. I really like the design features that were put into the NV's seats, as were explained in the article. Making the bolsters vinyl instead of cloth and leaving the stitching on the lower part of the cushion instead of the top will be 2 small changes that will go a loooooong way in durability. Most work vans i find myself in in have the outboard seat bolster chewed to sh*t from  months and years of " in-and'-out" use and the top seat stitching is fraying to the point where the cover may just peel off like a banana, exposing the foam.