Author Topic: Tim Hortons  (Read 14710 times)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: Tim Hortons
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 12:04:09 pm »
Interesting graphic:

And some background on BK strategy:

http://www.businessinsider.com/burger-king-ceo-tim-hortons-strategy-2014-8

Myself I think Tim's biggest problem here is McD's coffee has improved so much. Even the containers are better. Dunkin', on the other hand, has terrible coffee.

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 12:33:34 pm »
I find it odd that Canada is seen as a low tax location by an American company

Because it is.

Maybe not for individuals, but for businesses...
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 12:59:31 pm »
Did anyone care when Wendy's owned Timmies? Just like I think no one will care when BK owns them.

I'm guessing the coffee will still be crap...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 01:46:01 pm »
Did anyone care when Wendy's owned Timmies? Just like I think no one will care when BK owns them.

I'm guessing the coffee will still be crap...

if it's business as usual, people will soon forget.

agreed, the coffee is crap....  that's one reason I never considered buying shares. darn... 

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 02:26:59 pm »
Burger King's current CEO is 34 years old...thought that was interesting.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 02:32:14 pm »
Burger King's current CEO is 34 years old...thought that was interesting.

and according to the latest from CBC news, he will remain as CEO.
some of the press is starting to word this as a purchase instead of a merger.
the brains behind all this is 3G (or G3) (some investment firm in Brazil) 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 03:13:58 pm »
I'm also wondering what's going to happen with all the Timmy's/Coldstone Creamery joint operations
They canned that months ago, $19 million hit
http://business.financialpost.com/2014/02/20/tim-hortons-inc-dividend-earnings/?__federated=1

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 07:53:02 pm »
Looking forward to ordering Whopper-sized coffee.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 08:36:03 pm »
I thought Wendy's and Tim were still co-owned are they not?

That will make for some odd buildings that are half and half now.

Multiple combinations of arrangements....you likely see typically one franchisee that owns both the Hortons and Wendy's franchises in the combo stores plus the building.  You COULD see two franchisees in one building each owning one of each of the brands plus a third owning the building.

As noted, ColdStone was DOA almost on arrival and most thought that made NO sense from a combo perspective.

5+ years ago, a Wendy's/Hortons tie up made sense from an AM / Lunch / PM menu. Hortons has since become almost a three-meal platform and is working hard towards that goal.

Fortune favours the bold!

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Tim Hortons
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 11:33:00 pm »
God save the king!   All loyalists eventually come north....   

I don't think monarchs in canada pay tax... So good deal for them..

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2014, 11:43:12 pm »
I thought Wendy's and Tim were still co-owned are they not?

That will make for some odd buildings that are half and half now.

Multiple combinations of arrangements....you likely see typically one franchisee that owns both the Hortons and Wendy's franchises in the combo stores plus the building.  You COULD see two franchisees in one building each owning one of each of the brands plus a third owning the building.

As noted, ColdStone was DOA almost on arrival and most thought that made NO sense from a combo perspective.

5+ years ago, a Wendy's/Hortons tie up made sense from an AM / Lunch / PM menu. Hortons has since become almost a three-meal platform and is working hard towards that goal.

Wendy's and Tim Horton split in 2006....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2014, 10:39:02 am »

Dead on arrival on arrival?  :P

Noticed that in the U.S. the Tims/Coldstone combo still exists, even in tiny Lincoln ME (population 5000).

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2014, 10:43:00 am »
So Tim's was bought originally by Wendy's (didn't improve their coffee any for some reason), 'spun off' a few years later, and is now bought by BK.

What does 'spin off' mean, and who owned it in the meantime?

Spin off just means that they create a new company from an existing part of a larger business. It was spun off from Wendy's as a publicly traded company.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2014, 11:18:37 am »
Yeah, I looked into it a bit more. It sounds like the problem with Tims and Wendy's was Tims made too much money. Wendy's sold it off and their shareholders pocketed a handsome profit.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 03:14:48 pm »
Tim Hortons has slowed their renovation program, this will save corporate  a lot money has it was around a 50/50 split between the store owner and corporate

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2015, 07:23:44 pm »
I give "Tim's" as little business as possible but my wife likes them. I told her I try to support Canadian businesses if I can help it so avoid "Tim's". personally I find them a blight on the landscape as they seem to be showing up in every small Ontario town like a bad virus. I also find it funny that some people consider a coffee shop chain part of "Canadian Culture", let alone one named after a dead hockey player who died while trying to evade Police during a high speed chase in the snow at over 100 mph whilst cranked up on booze and drugs. Pretty funny and in a way ironic in these PC times when every little thing offends someone. Heh.

I don't take it too serious but it does make me chuckle. ;D

Not a huge fan of Tim's either.  Every year it get worse and worse.  All the classic donuts are gone, the Dutchie, the sugar twist, the Apple fritter has been changed.  Unfortunately, the small towns like how the tourists stop at the Tims for a stop, as it is something that is familiar.  As for using the name Tim Horton, he died in the 70's.  Tim Hortons was started in the 60's.  What are we going to do?  Change the name? 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2015, 07:32:43 pm »
  What are we going to do?  Change the name?

YESSS! But no.  :)

More about $$ than being politically correct..

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2015, 08:03:42 pm »
Tim Horton's is a study in business excellence in many ways.  They morphed from a donut shop to a restaurant with healthy-ish foods and increased their appeal dramatically.  Prices are low - meaning their menu is accessible to most people.  They have strong marketing and have solidified themselves as part of Canada's identity.  I see all kinds of smart things going on there.

Ironically, Tim's franchisees were some of the ones fighting smoking bans the hardest, and those very bans saved their businesses.  Tims used to be a place where a few people sat and smoked after spending $1 on a cup of coffee.  They were empty - and for some reason owners didn't know that the rest of the nation didn't go there cause of the smoke.

What I personally don't like is...

1. All "baked" goods are now defrosted - no more on site baking.  There was a time after the smoking bans and before off-site production that you could walk into a Tims and smell the donuts baking.

2. The products have shrunk - the donuts are now not much bigger than the Timbits.

3. They can't understand why other walk-up counter service restaurants have open counters for serving the food to the customers.  Tims still designs their spaces for someone that's getting a coffee and nothing more - despite selling all kinds of food products.  Cripes.

4. Locations often have long drive through lines that block traffic on the road.  Permits for Tims need to ensure that the drive-trough lines are structured not to do that.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2015, 08:11:35 pm »
4. Locations often have long drive through lines that block traffic on the road.  Permits for Tims need to ensure that the drive-trough lines are structured not to do that.

Or people shouldn't be so lazy and just park and go inside.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 08:12:54 pm »
Tim Horton's is a study in business excellence in many ways.  They morphed from a donut shop to a restaurant with healthy-ish foods and increased their appeal dramatically.  Prices are low - meaning their menu is accessible to most people.  They have strong marketing and have solidified themselves as part of Canada's identity.  I see all kinds of smart things going on there.

Ironically, Tim's franchisees were some of the ones fighting smoking bans the hardest, and those very bans saved their businesses.  Tims used to be a place where a few people sat and smoked after spending $1 on a cup of coffee.  They were empty - and for some reason owners didn't know that the rest of the nation didn't go there cause of the smoke.

What I personally don't like is...

1. All "baked" goods are now defrosted - no more on site baking.  There was a time after the smoking bans and before off-site production that you could walk into a Tims and smell the donuts baking.

2. The products have shrunk - the donuts are now not much bigger than the Timbits.

3. They can't understand why other walk-up counter service restaurants have open counters for serving the food to the customers.  Tims still designs their spaces for someone that's getting a coffee and nothing more - despite selling all kinds of food products.  Cripes.

I remember being able to buy large bags of day old donuts for next to nothing.  Remember??