Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Buick Verano Turbo; Day 1  (Read 40057 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-6810
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Buick Verano Turbo; Day 1
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2013, 03:20:14 pm »
If a manufacturer states Premium gas "recommended" that is marketing code for "IT REQUIRES 91" octane gas.

There is not a car salesman alive that will tell a customer NO, it needs 91 or don't buy it when a customer asks the $69 question: "87 will be OK, right?"

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2013, 03:53:33 pm »
If a manufacturer states Premium gas "recommended" that is marketing code for "IT REQUIRES 91" octane gas.

There is not a car salesman alive that will tell a customer NO, it needs 91 or don't buy it when a customer asks the $69 question: "87 will be OK, right?"

wrong. Recommended, in marketing speak, means put it in if you want to match our official ratings for power, fuel economy, etc. Required means just that. Audis or MINIs "require" premium gas - DO NOT PUT IN REGULAR in those cars. Cars that say recommended, such as Saab, Volvo, or some other turbo cars, which means you can put it in but it is not required. This usually is the case if the engine is tuned to run on 89 octane or thereabouts - 91 gives it better everything, but it can retard timing back down to 87 safely.

That being said, I always tell my customers that although it is only recommended, the benefits of paying extra at the pump for the 91 will far outweigh the little extra you pay for the gas [see my post above]
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2013, 08:10:49 pm »
I may be missing something here.  But after just reading the Day 4 comments regarding the fuel economy with an average of 9.6L, James seemed a little disappointed.  Thats about the same real world fuel economy average of the new Accord (V6).  I know they are not direct competitors.  But both cars have over 260hp I believe, and as James pointed out, the Verano is using a manual!  With no cylinder deactivation technology built in. No premium fuel either, so the real world performance maybe over hyped by the manufacturers a little bit, but I think maybe we are expecting too much as well. 

I just read Day 4 after being down for a bit with the flu. My reaction was pretty much the same, thinking that 9.6 seems very respectable for this level of performance. My 2.4 NA Sonata doesn't do much better with 175 hp.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Northernridge

« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2013, 08:19:24 pm »
I think 9.6 isn't very impressive at all. Over 13,000km in the Berlin taxi I've averaged 9.9 and it's a lot bigger and somewhat heavier than the Verano and it drives all 4 wheels.

Or, maybe the Mercedes actually gets good mileage...nice thought.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2013, 01:12:21 pm »
I think 9.6 isn't very impressive at all. Over 13,000km in the Berlin taxi I've averaged 9.9 and it's a lot bigger and somewhat heavier than the Verano and it drives all 4 wheels.

Or, maybe the Mercedes actually gets good mileage...nice thought.

Second that. My 3L I6 taxed by xDrive averages 9.5 in conbined driving. Not impressed by 9.6 in FWD 2.0T.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2013, 08:41:49 pm »
I would argue that the Verano represents excellent execution of badge engineering.
For those not old enough to remember truly hideous badge engineering, I present the 1982-88 Cadillac Cimarron based on the lowly Cavalier. Honorable mention goes to the 1977-80 Lincoln Versailles based on the Ford Granada.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6b/1981_cimarron_2.jpg/800px-1981_cimarron_2.jpg

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2013, 08:59:24 pm »
I would argue that the Verano represents excellent execution of badge engineering.
For those not old enough to remember truly hideous badge engineering, I present the 1982-88 Cadillac Cimarron based on the lowly Cavalier. Honorable mention goes to the 1977-80 Lincoln Versailles based on the Ford Granada.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6b/1981_cimarron_2.jpg/800px-1981_cimarron_2.jpg

badge engineering implies the underpinnings are the same, as are the majority of the body panels. The Verano does not share body panels with the Cruze, nor does it share any engines with it.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +99/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2013, 10:05:33 pm »
Looking at the skeletons of most mass produced modern cars, badge engineering is everywhere....its just a whole lot better executed nowadays.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2013, 10:31:39 pm »
I present the 1982-88 Cadillac Cimarron based on the lowly Cavalier.
not just the Cavalier...that GM J Body also shared itself with:

Buick Skyhawk
Oldsmobile Firenza
Pontiac J2000
Pontiac 2000
Pontiac Sunbird
Opel Ascona
Vauxhall Cavalier
Holden Camira
Isuzu Aska
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-6810
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2013, 10:50:43 pm »

wrong. Recommended, in marketing speak, means put it in if you want to match our official ratings for power, fuel economy, etc. Required means just that. Audis or MINIs "require" premium gas - DO NOT PUT IN REGULAR in those cars. Cars that say recommended, such as Saab, Volvo, or some other turbo cars, which means you can put it in but it is not required. This usually is the case if the engine is tuned to run on 89 octane or thereabouts - 91 gives it better everything, but it can retard timing back down to 87 safely.

That being said, I always tell my customers that although it is only recommended, the benefits of paying extra at the pump for the 91 will far outweigh the little extra you pay for the gas [see my post above]

wrong. Recommended, in marketing speak, means put it in if you want to match our official ratings for power, fuel economy, etc.

:rofl2:   That's dealer speak for BSing the customer.  Any time a 91 octane engineered motor that uses 87 octane comes under load or accelerates the motor is detuned by the knock sensors to prevent damaging cylinder detonation.  But before that occurs, detonation must take place.  Hence you have motors that are in a brief state of detonation thousands of times per drive cycle.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-401
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2013, 01:25:16 am »
I present the 1982-88 Cadillac Cimarron based on the lowly Cavalier.
not just the Cavalier...that GM J Body also shared itself with:

Buick Skyhawk
Oldsmobile Firenza
Pontiac J2000
Pontiac 2000
Pontiac Sunbird
Opel Ascona
Vauxhall Cavalier
Holden Camira
Isuzu Aska

Fun fact:  Later on, the Isuzu Aska was also sold as a rebadged Honda Accord

Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2013, 02:18:47 am »

badge engineering implies the underpinnings are the same, as are the majority of the body panels. The Verano does not share body panels with the Cruze, nor does it share any engines with it.

You're correct that badge engineering is probably not the correct term for the Verano. My choice of the term was inspired by many posters who implied it is dussied up Cruze. Your post nicely dispels that idea which is essentially what I was after .
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:21:51 am by sacrat »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2013, 07:44:55 am »

wrong. Recommended, in marketing speak, means put it in if you want to match our official ratings for power, fuel economy, etc.

:rofl2:   That's dealer speak for BSing the customer.  Any time a 91 octane engineered motor that uses 87 octane comes under load or accelerates the motor is detuned by the knock sensors to prevent damaging cylinder detonation.  But before that occurs, detonation must take place.  Hence you have motors that are in a brief state of detonation thousands of times per drive cycle.

I am not going to argue with you, brick wall analogy and all that. I am just going to say that recommended premium forced-induction engines such as my Saab 2.0T, the 2.3T in the 9-5 [I know those best] or the Volvo 2.5T are tuned for around 89-90 octane specifically. They benefit from 91, but can easily run on 87 SAFELY....wait a second I am repeating myself. THEY ARE NOT ENGINEERED FOR 91! Any turbo can be tuned for different octane levels, and the knock sensors can easily adapt to different octanes WITHIN A CERTAIN MARGIN. For some, not all, turbo cars it is fine to run it on 87 technically. Wait I am starting to repeat myself again...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12340
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2013, 08:40:11 am »
Looking at the skeletons of most mass produced modern cars, badge engineering is everywhere....its just a whole lot better executed nowadays.

Dude, the platform sharing of today does not equal the badge engineering of yesterday.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.