Author Topic: VW troubles continue  (Read 58830 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: VW troubles continue - BUYBACK!
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 10:20:53 pm »
http://www.autonews.com/article/20160420/OEM11/160429980/vw-said-to-pay-u-s-customers-5000-each-in-diesel-settlement

Sounds like VW is going to buy back LOTS of dieselgate cars in the US.

UPDATED: 4/20/16 6:42 pm ET - adds details

WASHINGTON -- Volkswagen AG and U.S. officials have reached a framework deal under which the automaker would offer to buy back almost 500,000 diesel cars that used sophisticated software to evade U.S. emissions rules, two people briefed on the matter said Wednesday.

The German automaker is expected to tell a federal judge in San Francisco on Thursday that it has agreed to offer to buy back up to 500,000 2.0-liter diesel vehicles sold in the U.S. that exceeded legally allowable emission levels, the people said.

That would include versions of the Jetta sedan, the Golf compact and the Audi A3 sold since 2009. The buyback offer does not apply to the bigger, 80,000 3.0-liter diesel vehicles also found to have exceeded U.S. pollution limits, including Audi and Porsche SUV models, the people said.

U.S.-listed shares of Volkswagen rose nearly 6 percent to $30.95 following the news.

VW in September admitted to cheating on emissions tests for 11 million vehicles worldwide since 2009, damaging the automaker's global image.

As part of the settlement with U.S. authorities including the EPA, Volkswagen has also agreed to a compensation fund for owners, a third person briefed on the terms said.

The compensation fund is expected to represent more than $1 billion on top of the cost of buying back the vehicles, but it is not clear how much each owner might receive, the person said.

Volkswagen may also offer to repair polluting diesel vehicles if U.S. regulators approve the proposed fix, the sources said.

A VW spokeswoman, the EPA and the Justice Department declined to comment Wednesday.

VW will pay cash compensation to owners who either sell their vehicles back or get them fixed, one of the people briefed on the matter said. Owners selling back their vehicles will get an additional cash payment on top of receiving the estimated value of the vehicles from before the emissions scandal became public in September 2015.

Owners are expected to have around two years to decide whether to sell back vehicles or get them repaired. It is not clear whether VW will be allowed to resell vehicles they buy back, the source said.

The framework deal with U.S. officials was reached after lengthy talks in recent days at the Washington law office of Robert Mueller. The former FBI director is the court appointed mediator named to help settle more than 500 civil suits filed against VW.

The talks, which continued over the week, included all the government agencies and lead plaintiffs attorneys suing GM.

Some elements of the settlement are still being worked out and details are not expected to be announced Thursday at a court hearing, the people briefed on the matter said. The final deal could still change before it is officially announced, they said.

U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer in March gave VW until Thursday "to announce a concrete proposal for getting the polluting vehicles off the road."

Breyer said in March the "proposal may include a vehicle buy-back plan or a fix approved by the relevant regulators that allows the cars to remain on the road with certain modifications."

A final settlement is also expected to include an environmental remediation fund to address excess pollution emitted by the U.S. vehicles since 2009.

It is not clear if the deal will resolve the U.S. Justice Department's civil suit filed in January against VW or if VW will agree to pay a civil penalty. VW also faces ongoing criminal investigations by the Justice Department and other prosecutors around the world.

Separately, Germany's Die Welt newspaper reported Wednesday that the deal to settle the case would involve it paying each affected customer $5,000. But a person briefed on the matter told Reuters that no decisions on how individual compensation will be awarded have been made.

In December, VW said it was creating an independent claims program for owners of vehicles with excess emissions.

It named compensation expert Ken Feinberg, who administered funds for the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, BP Plc Deepwater Horizon oil spill and General Motors ignition switch crashes, to create and administer the program.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: VW troubles continue
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 06:29:56 am »
I guess South America, Africa, and India markets are going to be flood with used TDIs 

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2016, 09:30:17 am »
till VW makes it official today - unless of course they get yet another extension - its all speculation.

If any buy-backs you can see that being a serious contention with many owners as to the current value of their vehicle - how will it be determined?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2016, 09:33:00 am »
till VW makes it official today - unless of course they get yet another extension - its all speculation.

If any buy-backs you can see that being a serious contention with many owners as to the current value of their vehicle - how will it be determined?

Thought I read something about using the value pre-dieselgate.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 10:38:18 am »
What if you don't want to sell back you vehicle to Vw and just keep in as is?  I wonder if the Canadian government will force owners to do something.  In the past month I received 2 emails and one formal letter from my local VW offering to buy back at %120 black book value plus incentive on new.... 

We just finished paying it and we were planning on keeping it another 5 years at least but we'll see how it goes.  Maybe since I live in Alberta this issues wont be as much focused on as other provinces.  I  also read on some TDI forum a while back.  someone tested their Chipped TDI (Malone tune up)  and their car was running cleaner passing emission in their country but can't remember.

Why would being in Alberta make a difference? We're talking about federal regulations here.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 02:00:22 pm »
What if you don't want to sell back you vehicle to Vw and just keep in as is?  I wonder if the Canadian government will force owners to do something.  In the past month I received 2 emails and one formal letter from my local VW offering to buy back at %120 black book value plus incentive on new.... 

We just finished paying it and we were planning on keeping it another 5 years at least but we'll see how it goes.  Maybe since I live in Alberta this issues wont be as much focused on as other provinces.  I  also read on some TDI forum a while back.  someone tested their Chipped TDI (Malone tune up)  and their car was running cleaner passing emission in their country but can't remember.

Why would being in Alberta make a difference? We're talking about federal regulations here.

I don't think they enforce emission testing here.  I think they something do testing for how loud your exhaust system is but that's it

Right, but that has no bearing on the larger issue here.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 03:26:42 pm »
The German newspaper Bild am Sonntag is reporting that US investigators have found three pieces of software that work in concert to turn off the emissions control equipment in certain diesel models after a set period of time.

The engine in question, the 3.0-liter TDI turbodiesel, was found in certain Volkswagen Touareg, Audi Q7, and Porsche Cayenne models – the sale of which was suspended in the US late last year. Since most emissions compliance testing takes around 20 minutes, the software in the three VW Group models shuts off the emissions control equipment after 22 minutes, a straightforward end run around the testing.

Remember that the 3.0-liter TDI engines aren't included in the big buyback and recall program announced for the smaller 2.0-liter, four-cylinder TDI engines. The 3.0-liter engines will likely get their own program, but we don't know when to expect it or exactly what it will look like. Last month, California rejected a proposed fix for the larger TDI engines, and VW went back to the drawing board. Since the company is unlikely to create two fixes, one for California and one for the rest of the nation, the company can't really proceed until they figure out a solution California will accept.

The EPA hasn't officially commented on the report, and we don't know how Bild am Sonntag came across the information, but we'll be closely watching what emerges after this report.

- autoblog

Offline micha

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW Golf R; 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen; 1998 Mercedes E320
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2016, 03:50:27 pm »
The German newspaper Bild am Sonntag is reporting that US investigators have found three pieces of software that work in concert to turn off the emissions control equipment in certain diesel models after a set period of time.

The engine in question, the 3.0-liter TDI turbodiesel, was found in certain Volkswagen Touareg, Audi Q7, and Porsche Cayenne models – the sale of which was suspended in the US late last year. Since most emissions compliance testing takes around 20 minutes, the software in the three VW Group models shuts off the emissions control equipment after 22 minutes, a straightforward end run around the testing.

Remember that the 3.0-liter TDI engines aren't included in the big buyback and recall program announced for the smaller 2.0-liter, four-cylinder TDI engines. The 3.0-liter engines will likely get their own program, but we don't know when to expect it or exactly what it will look like. Last month, California rejected a proposed fix for the larger TDI engines, and VW went back to the drawing board. Since the company is unlikely to create two fixes, one for California and one for the rest of the nation, the company can't really proceed until they figure out a solution California will accept.

The EPA hasn't officially commented on the report, and we don't know how Bild am Sonntag came across the information, but we'll be closely watching what emerges after this report.

- autoblog

Bild... not exactly the most credible source..

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2016, 10:07:29 am »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2016, 10:44:54 am »
Well, as it turns out, they all do that. Diesel days appear to be numbered.

http://www.rtbf.be/info/societe/detail_ue-de-nouvelles-fraudes-massives-des-constructeurs-automobiles-revelees?id=9408074

So VW exceeded the limits the least, but sold the most cars, so they're still bad.

This really should have been caught long ago. It certainly seems like the governments turned a blind eye as the article suggests.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2016, 04:16:33 pm »
I remember farking aboot with my carb cars a while back ....RESULTS so clean you could almost see your hand in front of your face and an occasional addition of TOP OIL down the cylinders was SMOKIN' for an Italian TUNEUP.... :rofl: ...VW U have me to call to the witness stand :popo:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2016, 04:47:15 pm »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2016, 06:46:20 pm »
Least trusted:

1. VW
2. Bell
3. Red Bull
4. Uber
5. Rogers
6. KFC
7. Sun Media
8. chevron
9. Wind Mobile
10. Facebook

Most trusted Brands:

1. MEC
1. President's Choice
3. Costco
4. Home Hardware
5. Shoppers Drug Mart/Pharmaprix
6. Canon
7. DAVIDsTEA
8. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
9. BAND-AID
9. Columbia Sportswear

http://www.uvic.ca/gustavson/brandtrust/

In the automotive sector Tesla came in first.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2016, 10:59:46 am »
That doesn't make any sense to me. I certainly trust VW to give me a diesel with the best power and fuel economy!  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2016, 11:54:43 am »
I wonder why Chevron has such a low trust rating.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2016, 05:01:33 pm »
Can U spell Venezuela...... :stick: >:D

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2016, 07:27:06 pm »
Uber is worse than Rogers, LOL.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2016, 10:14:39 pm »
President's choice is one of the most trusted brands [emoji87][emoji87][emoji87][emoji87][emoji87][emoji87][emoji87]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2016, 11:12:42 pm »
Do you shop at Superstore?  PC stuff is almost always of very high quality at low prices.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2016, 11:24:24 pm »
Tesla most trusted? I guess hype == trust.

I'd much sooner roll in a TDI Touraeg. If I could buy one that is. Which I can't.

Anyways, saw some story on Bloomberg saying that the EPA (or DOT maybe, don't remember) was trying to figure out how much money they could extract from VW without putting them out of business. Not sure that's the right frame of mind to be in...

GM paid $900m for the ignition switches and 124 actual real people died. I'm guessing the fine here is going to be an order of magnitude larger. Consistency? Yes...they consistently ram foreign companies hard up the ass :) (see also Toyota, BP)

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!