Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Toyota Camry XLE 4-cylinder  (Read 18022 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Toyota Camry XLE 4-cylinder
« on: January 16, 2012, 03:05:36 am »

'Rather than going all-out flashy, Toyota has chosen to raise the quality bar while...refining the look,' says Paul Williams.

Read More...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-453
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Toyota Camry XLE 4-cylinder
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 07:07:56 am »
I'm sure the Camry loyalist will like this car.  I'm also sure that this Camry is better than the previous version.  But they really didn't take any risks and in this market of heavy hitters I think this car won't be getting many "new" toyota buyers in the door.  It's sad to me that both Honda and Toyota have all the capabilities of making the best products on the market but over the past 5 years have fallen way behind the competition and still haven't realized how to compete with them.  I don't know what they'll be like in another 5 years if they continue on this path.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 07:08:41 am »
so you don't like the steering wheel, looks fine to me

Sometimes it better to take something that works and just refine it

I think the styling of the Sonata is looking old and tried already

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:14:29 am »
does that mean that the Camry styling is very old and very tried already? ::)

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 07:41:25 am »

Sounds like a bunch of women here discussing frocks.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 08:39:54 am »

They aren't even trying anymore.

Good to see the quality may be coming back though.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

55travelall

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 09:19:35 am »
I dunno, like it's written, it's an evolutionary design. That too me says that there was nothing wrong with it to begin. Yeah, the Hyundai and Kia are making a big splash and the credit is definitely to their design. Then again they are the ones reacting to the success of the Camry and not the other way around. I wouldn't expect Toyota to stop doing what has been profitable just because Kia and Hyundai have made a certain style the flavour du jour. The outside is modern, the inside is refined, they've upped the quality. If the quality is there in the engineering and materials, and not just in the initial impression, this car will be nice to drive even after 100k on the odometre. I think that caters to the value of Canadians than a clever skin or spectacle. Although, I sincerely wonder why the engine isn't direct injected, or is it?

As for the steering wheel, I guess it good to have something substantial to hold and maybe connect that with quality. I guess it's kinda imitating a german experience? I don't mind it, but I've always liked that chunky style. It makes me think of something perhaps being over-engineered, in a world of just adequate. They do something similar in Land Rovers.

Now would I buy this over say the Sonata? I dunno, but the interior definitely looks more welcoming. I confess the outside does little for me. However photos don't always do a car justice and understated cars definitely suffer from that more than others. I guess real world performance of that 4 cyl would be the deciding factor cause I really like direct injected engines like the Sonata's 4cyl. Unless maintenance is significantly worse and fuel economy isn't that much better.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 09:25:57 am »
It's a appliance or a car. I'm having a hard time with this one to tell the difference... :P

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 09:53:09 am »
I'm no Camry fan any longer, after my experiences with the '4 and '08 models.  Nevertheless, to me the interior design and materials are miles ahead of the Sonata, especially the Sonata's cheap look and feel door panels and seats.  The differences in the dash designs is largely a matter of taste.  I personnally don't like the exterior design of the Sonata, so the Camry wins there by default.  However, Toyota could have differentiated it more from the previous generation in exterior design, while still not coming off as flavor of the day.  IMO the 2.5 engine in the Camry is much more refined than the Sonata's base engine while delivering similar performance and fuel economy.  I sure hope the quality and reliability have improved!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12345
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 09:57:28 am »
It's a appliance or a car. I'm having a hard time with this one to tell the difference... :P

It looks different than the previous generation to my eye.... but very close to the generation before that.  Toyota has made a success out of the anonymous, inoffensive transportation appliance - so it's no surprise that this stylistic snoozer will find strong appeal.

What is surprising, perhaps, is how well the more adventurously-styled Sonata (that some here take every opportunity to decry) is doing at attracting buyers in the same segment where safe = success has been a more proven formula.  Note the swoopy body lines, creases and aggressive grille on the new Fusion and you will see that not every manufacturer embraces boring as a virtue. (Anyone else notice that when a new midsizer is reviewed, pretty much all the comparative commentary - positive or negative - centers on the Sonata?  What could that mean, I wonder?)

Style aside, from what I have read of the new Camry, Toyota has improved the interior significantly (which all will appreciate) but also improved steering and handling (which just about a fraction of a percentage point of their customer base will notice or care about).  The dynamic improvements would certainly put the Toyota back in the consideration mix were I shopping for a midsize sedan right now.  Being able to spec one of THE best V6s on the planet is a definite plus.

Jaeger
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:09:22 am by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 10:00:13 am »
I can't believe I am saying this but I might actually buy this car ahed of the competition if I were looking. It got great fuel economy results in the CR tests... (19/41) miles per US gallon, I think, beating all non-hybrid, non-diesels in the segment. The suspension is apparently more buckled down. All that us missing is the manual tranny.

Does it at least have a "tiptronic"?

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 10:07:27 am »
While the styling of the Camry may not be as sleek as some of its competitors, don't forget the intended purpose of this car:  to presumably serve as a passenger-carrying machine.  The more upright styling provides much easier access to the cabin -- particularly through the rear seats than do the head-smacking fashion-leaders in this segment.  If you don't need a large sedan's carrying capability and are more hung up on styling, get a coupe.
I spent a bit of time with the new Camry too and it is undoubtedly an appliance.  But it serves that role very well and seemingly that's precisely what a lot of people are looking for.  http://bdfd.com/en/Reviews/1/2/246/Lived+with+it++2012+Toyota+Camry+Review
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 10:36:23 am »
Toyota Nation posts indicate that Toyota has some quality issues with the 2012 Camry - wind noise from driver side, suspension noise and seatbelt warning lights that have a mind of their own. Real world fuel economy apears to be better than the Hyundai Sonata by a couple mpg based on fuel.com postings. I am in the market in a year or so for this type of car. Being a fleet manager of a large commercial fleet, it will boil down to who can give me the car for lowest $ per month at the time of purchase between the Optima, Sonata and Camry.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 10:49:57 am »
As Jaeger mentioned, this Camry look like the generation prior to the last one. Not a good comparison for sure. The outside look is bland. Cannot differentiate it from many of the other cars in the road. The interior is pretty much Europena looking. Resemble of Toyota Avensis. Nothing revolutionary, little evolutionary. Even the engine is not new. Good job, Toyota. Sales will tell......
Bombastic

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-453
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 10:51:01 am »
Toyota Nation posts indicate that Toyota has some quality issues with the 2012 Camry - wind noise from driver side, suspension noise and seatbelt warning lights that have a mind of their own. Real world fuel economy apears to be better than the Hyundai Sonata by a couple mpg based on fuel.com postings. I am in the market in a year or so for this type of car. Being a fleet manager of a large commercial fleet, it will boil down to who can give me the car for lowest $ per month at the time of purchase between the Optima, Sonata and Camry.
Guess there's probably a 95% chance that you'll be driving either a Optima or Sonata if you base your purchase on who has the lowest $ per month payment.  Sure every once and awhile Toyota will come out with some financing deals but usually not as good or as consistent as Hyundai or Kia.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 12:15:16 pm »
I can't believe I am saying this but I might actually buy this car ahead of the competition if I were looking. It got great fuel economy results in the CR tests... (19/41) miles per US gallon, I think, beating all non-hybrid, non-diesels in the segment. The suspension is apparently more buckled down. All that us missing is the manual tranny.

Does it at least have a "tiptronic"?

+1. I'd actually consider this car, especially in SE trim.Great mileage, great resale, and thin "A" pillars that you can see out of. As much as I like the styling on new Buicks, those HUGE "A" pillers are going to eventually lead to an accident where both Buick owners say " I just didn't see the other guy..."
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 12:21:20 pm »

Sounds like a bunch of women here discussing frocks.

well Kidman...would get my DSG going..............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 12:51:17 pm »
 It's kind of interesting that the new Sonatas seem to be some sort of standard of design for mid-size cars...Some people here have expressed their disdain for it's avant-garde styling...and dislike for the quality of the interiors...
  Having owned (still do) a 2011 base model Sonata with 6 speed stick, for almost 2 years and about 22,000 miles now, I must disagree..I find it even more attractive inside and out now..It still looks and runs as new...Actually the addition of 18 inch black rims has added to it's visual appeal..I get about 26-27 mpg around town in the warmer weather, and only 23-24 in the cooler weather...But..I get 40+ mpg on the highway...consistently... I know this is an evaluation  of the new Toyota Camry, but I haven't driven one, and probably never will...
 Maybe I'm from a different place, but I think driving, like as much of life as possible, should be fun...This Camry was not designed for fun...hence...not for me...Thanks...Jack

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12345
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 01:07:28 pm »
It's kind of interesting that the new Sonatas seem to be some sort of standard of design for mid-size cars...Some people here have expressed their disdain for it's avant-garde styling...and dislike for the quality of the interiors...
  Having owned (still do) a 2011 base model Sonata with 6 speed stick, for almost 2 years and about 22,000 miles now, I must disagree..I find it even more attractive inside and out now..It still looks and runs as new...Actually the addition of 18 inch black rims has added to it's visual appeal..I get about 26-27 mpg around town in the warmer weather, and only 23-24 in the cooler weather...But..I get 40+ mpg on the highway...consistently... I know this is an evaluation  of the new Toyota Camry, but I haven't driven one, and probably never will...
 Maybe I'm from a different place, but I think driving, like as much of life as possible, should be fun...This Camry was not designed for fun...hence...not for me...Thanks...Jack

Maybe you should copy this post to the "I think I have narrowed it down to 3 choices" thread, as one of the three being considered is a base Sonata.  I'm sure owner feedback would be welcomed by the OP.

Jaeger

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 01:25:34 pm »
I would still buy my Sonata over this even if it did cost more... I love it  :)