Author Topic: First Drive: 2012 Buick Verano  (Read 4339 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2012 Buick Verano
« on: April 03, 2012, 04:05:08 am »

The Verano brings Buick's brand of luxury to the compact segment, at a price that might be too attractive, says Social Editor Mike Schlee.

Read More...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: First Drive: 2012 Buick Verano
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 06:20:21 am »
Good review.  And your final question is a good one indeed - I'd take this in a heartbeat over the Cruze.  I'd also take the 2.0T / manual version of this over any Regal.  Arctic Steve may have a point about cannibalizing sales.  But that aside, this is a really solid effort from Buick.  Were I in the market right now, it would be on the list.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 07:20:00 am »
The Cruze has more room in the back than the Verano - that might be a consideration.

Hopefully the 2.4 will be swapped out for the 190bhp 2.5 soon, which I've heard is a decent engine. GM didn't "cheap out" on this one the way they did the 2.2 and 2.4 ecotecs. With the 2.0T or the 2.5 GM should have a winner on their hands, this would be a great commuter car for those who want a stressless commute in a comfortable car, but don't need something huge and lexus like.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 07:38:23 am »
I "echo" the comments above........why settle for "Cruze" when you can cruise in a nicer Verano.    ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

TheKnownSpace

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:43:53 am »
I would seriously consider this as a second car beside my truck, yeah the styling is lumpy, but i'm just going to have to get used to it for most modern compacts, and they even threw in those goofy chrome spears above the rear tailights to signify that kooky styling elements didn't die on compact Buicks since the 90's Skylark!!!!!

I'd want to back-to-back test a loaded cruze with this car just to see the extent of this "quiet-tuning" program, and if it actually makes a difference in real-world driving. As for the question of verano vs. cruze? As a daily i would grab the cruze, predominantly for the styling, somewhat more simplistic nature, and (probably) better availability of performance options (as i write this i don't know the what other options come with the "cruze RS package" besides the bodykit?). However if this was to be a runabout or second car for me (which it would be if i was to buy either of these cars right now), then i would go for the buick, for what i would perceive to be a more calming drive, softer setup (in a good way), and i could better appreciate the improved interior details

Thankfully, it may have taken way too long, but options if you want a gm compact are no longer "J-bodies with slightly different front and rear end with different company logo on steering wheel".... one can actually cross shop within the company now lol.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 08:06:11 am »
A loaded Cruze is only a few dollars from the Verano. It seems GM is doing the same thing it always did, namely competing with itself. A Verano is not going to compete with a TSX or IS250. In fact, it seems like a very nice package for they money but all it seems to be really doing is offering a 2.4 litre motor instead of the 1.4 litre turbo the Cruze offers because both cars are basically the same money. Giant head scratch.

In a couple of years we will be seeing many of these used and we will also have a much better idea of their long term reliability. My experience is GM cars make much better used than new buys.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline Whofan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:27:46 am »
Hm... this Buick Summer (Verano) would be a nice 2nd car, but I would wait for the 2.0T /w a 6 standard, if only the wife would let me buy a standard again :(

Nice car, at least from the pictures.

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 08:50:18 am »
A loaded Cruze is only a few dollars from the Verano. It seems GM is doing the same thing it always did, namely competing with itself. A Verano is not going to compete with a TSX or IS250. In fact, it seems like a very nice package for they money but all it seems to be really doing is offering a 2.4 litre motor instead of the 1.4 litre turbo the Cruze offers because both cars are basically the same money. Giant head scratch.

In a couple of years we will be seeing many of these used and we will also have a much better idea of their long term reliability. My experience is GM cars make much better used than new buys.

Choices, lucky consumers.

I agree that used GM cars are good value

I wonder when the convertible will be released

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/5921866050/

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 09:02:00 am »
I was pleasantly surprised by the Verano when I checked it out at the auto show.  The interior had very nice materials and felt like it was very well put together, and had very comfy seats.  I really liked the layout on the interior.  If a sedan is what I was looking for, it would be on my test drive list for sure.  2l turbo with the six speed manual, eh?   :drive:

I wonder how just many Cruze sales this will take.  Of all the Cruze's I've seen on the road, very few of them have been the top of the line LTZ.  Most seem to be the less expensive LT's, which is much less than the Verano's starting price. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:35:14 am by 5 Wheel Drive »
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 09:22:18 am »
I don't think this one is against TSX/IS250, instead it could (and must) fight here in Canada with  CSX/incoming ILX and future Infiniti's replacement of long ago discontinued G20.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 09:25:47 am »
nice car...i've always liked the Verano and the fact it seems to be priced realistic to the market.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 10:39:40 am »
Didn't like the style of the article.
Sounded like copy/paste from GM brochure in places with some apologetic tones in others. I am not a huge GM fan but Verano seems like a decent effort and good value.

Overall, I like the car. Add a 2.0T, NAV, regenerative braking with engine shut-off to imporove fuel economy, and I'm in as long as it is within the $30k mark. Comfy and quiet interior, nice audio, and punchy engine is all I can ask for. In that combination, I WOULD cross shop it against the TSX and IS250 (TSX would be the underdog here without NAV and 4-cyl only).

Offline PJAvenger

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-11
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mustang GT Convertible; 2013 RAM 1500; 2008 Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 01:00:36 pm »
Best review of this car was when Michael Andretti test drove it on Celebrity Apprentice and scared the beejebus out of the other passengers.
That and Penn Gilette fits in the trunk!

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 10:29:02 am »
As for the question of verano vs. cruze? As a daily i would grab the cruze, predominantly for the styling, somewhat more simplistic nature, and (probably) better availability of performance options (as i write this i don't know the what other options come with the "cruze RS package" besides the bodykit?).

The Cruze RS package is an "appearance package" only. It comes with body kit, better wheels, fog lights with chrome spears, and restrained badging (thankfully). There's one along the transit route I drive and it really makes the car "pop". The Verano was the first car I sat in at the Calgary Auto show and I was really blown away by the interior except for rear seat room. Much to my surprise, the other car that impressed me was the 2013 Chevy Malibu which had a large, well thought out interior and a much more successful take on the much maligned BMW "Bangle butt". Never thought I'd say I liked a Malibu  :o
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline lostcomma

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 09:13:28 am »
"The Cruze RS package is an "appearance package" only" or that's what chevy says in the  brochure.
But it's a misleading title as  the suspension is lowered, they dispose of the rear drums and the tires are
 changed to low profile 18 inchers. The ride is firmer and the handling is better than no RS cruzes except
 for the LTZ which the pkg comes standard. I have read complaints that it's too firm. I always wondered
 why the cruze didn't have with a luxury version with smaller tires/softer ride . The buick
 edition answers that I guess.  I also wonder why they don't have a cold weather pkg.
 Meaning a better system to preheat the engine and heated cloth seats. The cruze is pretty quiet
already it would be interesting to see how much quieter the Verano is.