Author Topic: Feature: The Young and the Car-less  (Read 6284 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: The Young and the Car-less
« on: April 16, 2012, 04:06:23 am »

Is the prevalence of social networking and texting affecting younger people's desire to get behind the wheel?

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Feature: The Young and the Car-less
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 05:50:25 am »
DO an easy experiment.    Set insurance rates for drivers under 30 to a max of $100 a month as long as they have no tickets.  Remove graduated licencing and the zero alcohol rules...i.e go back 20 years.
DO this for 20 years and see if younger people still stop buying cars.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:11:44 am »
Not to mention the high cost of insurance for young people, especially males.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 10:25:40 am »
insurance was always expensive...what we didn't have when i was young were iPhones, a plethora of computers/tablets and gaming systems and $100/month cell phone plans...or $250 bills for cell, internet, tv, etc.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 10:42:07 am »
I couldnt imagine not having/wanting a car as a young guy. What are you supposed to do for dates?? Have your mom pick her up?? Make out in the back of the bus??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 10:56:49 am »
I couldnt imagine not having/wanting a car as a young guy. What are you supposed to do for dates?? Have your mom pick her up?? Make out in the back of the bus??

Hey, I did that once in grade 9 and only once. It was both thrilling to go out on a date followed by humility. Kind of a kill joy after the movie was over. Live and learn and never did that again.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 11:23:19 am »
Fobroader, if it's an accepted norm, why not? Even back in the days, owning a horse must've been a luxury. Besides, 15 year olds go on dates and they can't drive.

Insurance is expensive but so are accidents. However we have a good system with ICBC where all drivers start at a base rate regardless of their gender, marital status, etc. and earn their discount or lose it. 2001 -- my first year -- cost me $160 a month to fully insure a 1986 Honda Civic. 2002 - 5% discount. 2003 - 10% discount. 2004 - got into an at fault accident, 30% surcharge over base rate for three years. 2007 - got my discount back, 15%. 2012 - 40%. Woot.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 11:26:35 am »
Of course Im talking about people that can drive, Im not suggesting that 12 year olds should be driving.....  ::) Also having mom there kinda cramps your style.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 12:23:06 pm »
I just borrowed the parents Safari van for dates as a teenager ;)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 12:27:46 pm »
I just borrowed the parents Safari van for dates as a teenager ;)
bowchicawowow!  ;D

TheKnownSpace

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 01:08:20 pm »
Great article! As a car enthusiast under the age of 30 this topic hits close to home for me.

All of the said theories on why young peope may not be getting into more cars than they used to is valid, it's about deciding which issues should take prevalance and how automakers are going to deal with it. The reasons for youth not buying cars is vast and varied. From my personal network of friends i could tell all of you the wide spectrum of reasons why the ones that arent buying cars arent. I have one friend that refuses based on enviro-issues (specifically his interest in the topic of peak-oil) and then on the other hand i have another friend that doesnt own a car because she cant put down her iphone for more than 3 minutes. Then of course, on top of that you have (as the article touched on) the youth that wont drive, not because they cant afford it, but because its too much of a hassle:  inconsiderate/anti-automobile city planning (in regard to metropolitan areas) that make tooling around in a car a liability and not an asset.

My final thought on this, to address the element of the article that discusses what automakers are doing to make cars more "appealing" (read: more tech than a 90's space shuttle and gimmicky styling features). I realize that they are simply trying to do the right thing and put features that their customer base will want, my only point is that they should tread VERY carefully as there is still a large portion of the car buying population and large number of youth within it (myself included) that resist all this "connectivity" in cars, and see them as a distraction. Like i said, i'm under the age of 30, and i frankly couldn't give a sh*t if my car read emails back to me

I say that to say this: automakers should be making the cars that appealin

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 02:21:33 pm »
DO an easy experiment.    Set insurance rates for drivers under 30 to a max of $100 a month as long as they have no tickets.  Remove graduated licencing and the zero alcohol rules...i.e go back 20 years.
DO this for 20 years and see if younger people still stop buying cars.

:fiver:

Essentially, young ppl have been regulated out of the market.

The reasons for youth not buying cars is vast and varied

The micro reasons are indeed vast and varied, but it's really a macro problem in that the country is experiencing a permanent decline in the standard of living.  The young people of course taking it the hardest.  The middle agers  leveraging debt so still on never never land holiday.  But soon that 2nd car is gonna be an unwanted appendage.  :)

Offline Car Guy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 Volvo S60 R-Design. Previous Vehicles: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe, 2004 Audi A4 1.8T, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 Subaru Legacy, 2001 Oldsmobile Alero (Ack!), 1991 Chevy Cavalier, 1983 Mustang GT
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 02:34:51 pm »
I find the picture with the article rather telling.  4 young people standing directly beside each other, clearly not communicating with each other. (unless they are texting or BBM'ing each other)

Ah yes, the lost art of face to face communication, which ironically, is often aided by driving in your car to see someone.  Sometimes for business..........sometimes just for fun! (oh the blasphemy of driving for the pleasure of it!!  The greenies will be all over me for that one!!)

I'm not sayin.................I'm just sayin.................. !

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 03:50:13 pm »
Wasn't this already discussed?  We seem to be creating multiple threads for every topic lately...

nsmyhte

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 04:01:34 pm »
How are these people getting to work sans car?  In the GTA a car is nearly a must to get to work.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 04:18:20 pm »
How are these people getting to work sans car?  In the GTA a car is nearly a must to get to work.

Really? I have no problems getting to work without my car.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 05:53:10 pm »

umm, going out on a limb here, but I'd guess there are a few people that take public transportation... I even used to ride a bicycle when i lived in mid-town and work was a 20-minute ride (40 minutes by TTC!!!)

there are still hundreds of thousands that live and work within TTC range, and plenty that take the GO in and train/bus it around the city, and it's often quicker than the equivalent drive.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 05:55:48 pm »

umm, going out on a limb here, but I'd guess there are a few people that take public transportation... I even used to ride a bicycle when i lived in mid-town and work was a 20-minute ride (40 minutes by TTC!!!)

there are still hundreds of thousands that live and work within TTC range, and plenty that take the GO in and train/bus it around the city, and it's often quicker than the equivalent drive.

In a town that has a decent and well organized public transport system than using it is an option. The public transportation in edmonton is so grabastic than for most people public transport is not a viable option. If I worked downtown TO, Id be drinking my morning coffee on the go train.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 06:10:16 pm »

In a town that has a decent and well organized public transport system than using it is an option. The public transportation in edmonton is so grabastic than for most people public transport is not a viable option. If I worked downtown TO, Id be drinking my morning coffee on the go train.

Since moving out to the burbs, I've yet to even attempt any sort of public transportation option into Toronto proper—too many exchanges to make it convenient, but I have friends that swear by it, especially when parking at their downtown office parking is something like $30/day...

If i ever moved back within the TTC zone, I would miss driving into work and having the car to go out for lunch. Driving is just fun, even if you have to suffer idiot drivers and traffic jams and bad radio show hosts... Even if i took public transportation, i can't imagine not wanting a car — it's just ingrained too deep in me to ever not want a car, and to always want a better car.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 06:14:01 pm »

Since moving out to the burbs, I've yet to even attempt any sort of public transportation option into Toronto proper—too many exchanges to make it convenient, but I have friends that swear by it, especially when parking at their downtown office parking is something like $30/day...

If i ever moved back within the TTC zone, I would miss driving into work and having the car to go out for lunch. Driving is just fun, even if you have to suffer idiot drivers and traffic jams and bad radio show hosts... Even if i took public transportation, i can't imagine not wanting a car — it's just ingrained too deep in me to ever not want a car, and to always want a better car.

Im totally with you on that one, I love my morning smoke and music, gives me a little time to wake up before the office. In places like calgary where it has some of the most expensive parking rates in north America, the choice is sometime made for you. I live outside of Edmonton, public transportation is non-existent and I wouldnt do it here anyways, maybe in a bigger city, but here, it makes no sense.