Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2016 Lexus IS 350 F Sport AWD vs Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD  (Read 25297 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Because long model names are just so cool.
Read More...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Good comparo and sweet rides.  I think I might go for the Infiniti between these two - I'd be making use of all that power more frequently than I would its at-the-limit handling.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
WOW before finishing the article I was thinking nearly $70K stuff....was I wrong (just this once) ;) ..BARGAIN AWD STORMERS............The Infiniti appeals a lil more ......POWER over RELIABILITY  a big diff there.  300v400...... 8) :o
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
Same thoughts as both of you on this. If I was leasing (which I'm not) and if a dealer was nearby, the Infinity would be an easy choice. But only leasing as this engine is new.

This comparison also reminded me of a thread in the Forum where the 300 HP version of the Infinity was brought up as a value comparison to the currently available but never yet tested by ANY magazine Ford Fusion Sport. For that matter there are no tests of the 300 HP Infinity that I can find either  ??? . Anyway, that made me think how much more appropriate this test would have been if the 300 HP Infinity was used instead of the Red Sport. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
If leasing, I'd go German. If buying, these two are really neck and neck for me and as posited in the article, for different reasons.

I really like the Infiniti, but it has a few irritating omissions that would try my patience in terms of ownership. At least the rear seats now fold (previous gens only had a ski pass thru), but that steering numbness would :censor: me off. I drove my buddy's parents' Q50S Hybrid and really liked the car overall, but the steering was so, so numb.

Still, the Lexus is too tight inside and so I'd probably go Infiniti on this one.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
If leasing, I'd go German. If buying, these two are really neck and neck for me and as posited in the article, for different reasons.

I really like the Infiniti, but it has a few irritating omissions that would try my patience in terms of ownership. At least the rear seats now fold (previous gens only had a ski pass thru), but that steering numbness would :censor: me off. I drove my buddy's parents' Q50S Hybrid and really liked the car overall, but the steering was so, so numb.

Still, the Lexus is too tight inside and so I'd probably go Infiniti on this one.
I am with you on the leasing front.  And buying wise, I'm sure it would take multiple test drives to decide between the two.  On paper, the Infiniti has me mostly sold.  But multiple reviews have mentioned the lack of steering feel and handling not quite matching the performance of the power plant.

And I can also get a 340i in manual which neither of these offer.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey

I am with you on the leasing front.  And buying wise, I'm sure it would take multiple test drives to decide between the two.  On paper, the Infiniti has me mostly sold.  But multiple reviews have mentioned the lack of steering feel and handling not quite matching the performance of the power plant.

Good point.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
infiniti rear ends looks too much like nissan stuff.    still can't get used to the naming scheme.  fack that.

power is nice, but powertrain shared with MB worries me.

lexus all the way for me since neither comes with manual anyway.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
out of the two...the Nissan

but actually would have neither, would have the BMW for it has a manual...or, whenever it gets here, the Alfa Romeo Giulia mid-ranger [whatever spec that will be not sure - lower tune V6T?]
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +15/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Lexus RX330, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
Because it’ll blow the roundels off a 3 Series in a straight line.

Really?  I thought a 340i xDrive would be comparable.  A quick search shows me that it is a low to mid 4 second car. 
"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret." - The Dish

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat

Yup, very true.  I haven't looked, but what would a comparably equipped 340i cost in comparison to the Q50 and IS?  I'm guessing $10k or so, but that's just a guess.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
I don't want 400 hp with numb steering and so so handling.  So it would be the Lexus of the two for me, except that my 6' 3", 210 lb frame wouldn't fit well anyway.  So, neither would be on my short list.   

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
Just went to the Infinity web site and the 300 HP version is not there to build and price? Only the 2.0 and the 400.

A couple of things to clarify. First, I don't think this powertrain is shared with MB. That's only the 4 cylinder 2.0 turbo. Second, the numb steering is not a requirement, its in the optional technology package costing $ 3,800-. The normal steering seemed quite good to me in last year's Q50. The technology package has a number of things in addition to the Direct Adaptive Steering that I also don't want anyway, like lane departure warning, intelligent cruise control, lane departure prevention with active lane control and an "Eco Pedal"  :rofl2:   

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Sounds like the Infinity with a better set of shocks, springs and tires would be the car to have. Yeah, 400hp, can't go wrong with that.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD

Yup, very true.  I haven't looked, but what would a comparably equipped 340i cost in comparison to the Q50 and IS?  I'm guessing $10k or so, but that's just a guess.
i just built one online...a 2017 340xi, in blue, automatic transmission, with the premium enhanced package (to get the safety features, luxury options, etc), and the smartphone package is $66,259 (excluding taxes).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Neither of these really do much for me. Overstyled on the outside and not much to write about on the inside. The Lexus would be the safer bet, though I couldn't live with the stupid mouse arrangement I don't think.

I'd save up a few more dollars and get the A6 3.0L TFSI, or give up a bit of performance and get a well loaded A4 for less.

Edit: I'd also kick the tires of the ATS or CTS, if I could remember to. JohnnyMac's post reminded me of their existence. That's a problem.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:18:18 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
i also wonder how the Genesis 5.0 Ultimate would fare here...it is bigger, i guess, but priced almost exactly the same.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
For me I'd probably choose a German (most likely the Audi S4) but if I had to pick one of these two it would have to be the Infiniti, simply because I can't stand the front end of the Lexus.  I wonder which of this class has the best handling?  If I were to guess I'd probably say the Cadilac ATS, which pretty much no one even considers.  So how important is handling/steering feeling to the buyers of these rigs.

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
  That's a very good question JM, referring to importance of handling/steering to these buyers. I'm guessing 90 percent wouldn't know what that really is even if it hit them square on the side of the head. That is the state of driving on Ontario roads, sad though it is.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Neither of these really do much for me. Overstyled on the outside and not much to write about on the inside. The Lexus would be the safer bet, though I couldn't live with the stupid mouse arrangement I don't think.

I'd save up a few more dollars and get the A6 3.0L TFSI, or give up a bit of performance and get a well loaded A4 for less.

Edit: I'd also kick the tires of the ATS or CTS, if I could remember too. JohnnyMac's post reminded me or their existence. That's a problem.

I agree.  Except for the Audi part.  I guess it would determine if I was leasing or financing.  If leasing, probably a 3 series.  If buying (used CPO), an ATS, or a previous gen Lexus (before the spindle).  Wouldn't consider new in the category.