Author Topic: Can VW take on Toyota  (Read 14448 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: Can VW take on Toyota
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2015, 07:18:05 pm »
So a guy who owns a 997 TT is not a real Porsche?

Well according to you it's not.  You said in reference to my car, even as far back as 1999 (somehow) it's a VW.  So that would surely make a 997TT a VW in your eyes, wouldn't it?

:rofl2: you have become one of them old cranky PCA guys

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2015, 08:10:41 pm »

Well according to you it's not.  You said in reference to my car, even as far back as 1999 (somehow) it's a VW.  So that would surely make a 997TT a VW in your eyes, wouldn't it?

:rofl2: :rofl:

Not even close!  I wouldn't talk to a you if I was!   ;D

I wonder if Ferrari guys get ragged on for owning a Chrysler?   :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2015, 08:15:38 pm »

:rofl2: That must have cased a few coronaries

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2015, 02:59:45 pm »
The Germans can't discount the Euro by 30% the way the Japanese did with the yen. So there's that.  ;D

:rofl2:

But seriously... :foil: :foil: :foil: :foil:

You are denying the use of currency manipulation by the Japanese?  even the Koreans do it.

Show me the punishments, sanctions, etc. for doing so and I'll believe it.  Show me the evidence.  The Big 2 have had their tinfoil hats on about this and a "closed market" forever.   

Funny that VW (the best selling foreign car in Japan) have never complained about this.

So just because someone hasn't been punished, they haven't committed the act?

It's especially funny considering PM Abe specifically said that part of his economic plan was to use quantitative easing to increase the money supply to prop up exports.

The yen has lost about half its value against the dollar since Prime Minister Shinzo Abe swept to power in late 2012 on a ticket to revive the country’s long tepid economy.

A huge monetary easing plan from the BOJ, launched just over two years ago, has been a cornerstone of the growth push and helped push down the Japanese currency from around ¥80 to the dollar when Abe took over.

But concerns are mounting over the negative effects of the yen’s unrelenting dive on households across the nation facing price increased caused by companies seeking to pass on the resulting higher costs for importing materials.

While the weakening of the yen is benefitting export-oriented companies such as automakers, it is also driving up the prices of imported goods and materials. To pass the inflated costs on to consumers, many food makers have decided to hike prices.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/05/28/business/financial-markets/yen-slips-12-year-nadir-dollar-talk-u-s-interest-rate-hike-shatters-%C2%A5124-threshold/#.VbpyNflVhBc

This isn't a secret, and it isn't apparently rrocket science.  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2015, 04:04:51 pm »
"rrocket science"  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2015, 04:58:52 pm »
Many countries do quantitative easing.  Including the USA....which has been doing it since 2009 (at least).

Must be manipulating the currency for the auto industry too, eh?   ::)

Myth No. 2: Japan is a currency manipulator.

Fact: There is no definition by which Japan can still be called a currency manipulator, unless the U.S. is called one as well. It may be surprising to some that Japan ran merchandise trade deficits from 2011 to 2014. Last year, this deficit exceeded $100 billion.

In addition, Japan has not intervened in foreign exchange markets since the end of 2011, so it is not directly trying to change the value of the yen. The Bank of Japan has implemented very loose monetary policy, which can indirectly reduce the value of the yen. But the Federal Reserve has been doing the same thing.

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/finance/238568-5-myths-about-currency-manipulation-and-exchange-rates

This one is interesting too, though I'd hardly say the position is unbiased.  http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/currency-manipulation-myth-by-koichi-hamada-2015-06
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:06:19 pm by rrocket »

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2015, 05:32:27 pm »
Many countries do quantitative easing.  Including the USA....which has been doing it since 2009 (at least).

Must be manipulating the currency for the auto industry too, eh?   ::)

Myth No. 2: Japan is a currency manipulator.

Fact: There is no definition by which Japan can still be called a currency manipulator, unless the U.S. is called one as well. It may be surprising to some that Japan ran merchandise trade deficits from 2011 to 2014. Last year, this deficit exceeded $100 billion.

In addition, Japan has not intervened in foreign exchange markets since the end of 2011, so it is not directly trying to change the value of the yen. The Bank of Japan has implemented very loose monetary policy, which can indirectly reduce the value of the yen. But the Federal Reserve has been doing the same thing.

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/finance/238568-5-myths-about-currency-manipulation-and-exchange-rates

This one is interesting too, though I'd hardly say the position is unbiased.  http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/currency-manipulation-myth-by-koichi-hamada-2015-06

So PM Abe is lying? How can you call it a myth when the PM says they're going to do something and that something happens?

Any yeah, lots of countries are attempting to stimulate their economies by using various tools including quantitative easing. If the US dollar hadn't devalued at least somewhat, the yen would have been even lower.

But whether anyone else does it or not is irrelevant to the contention that the Japanese have deliberately dropped the yen to stimulate exports. It's also irrelevant to the contention that a very large portion of Toyota's profits are due to the windfall the low yen has provided. 

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2015, 05:37:39 pm »
Oh, and this:

Scissors is a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), where he studies Asian economic issues and trends.

basically means that anything he says should be treated with derision. It's a right wing "think tank" that has put out some of the dumbest policy ideas one could imagine.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2015, 05:49:53 pm »
As you point out, it's nothing more than a "contention" for the tin-foil hat crowd.  You people amuse me.  Keep it up.  I need a laugh... ;D

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2015, 06:19:27 pm »
 :rofl2: Ron has been spending too much time and money in the US and the beverages he has been drinking has turned him into one of them  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2015, 06:29:15 pm »
:rofl2: Ron has been spending too much time and money in the US and the beverages he has been drinking has turned him into one of them  :)

No..if I was turning into someone from the US, I'd be agreeing with Toyota manipulating currency!!   :rofl:

Haven't been there as much this year....especially with the US exchange rate.  Hmmm..wonder if Japan is manipulating that too?   ;D

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2015, 07:59:55 pm »
They all do.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2015, 10:12:57 am »
Nobody should be surprised that Toyota, flush with $18 billion in profits this year, has emerged as a major beneficiary of Abenomics. After all, the weakened yen at the center of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's economic program was designed to help the bottom lines of major exporters.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-04-16/toyota-leaves-japan-in-the-dust

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2015, 05:43:09 pm »
Nobody should be surprised that Toyota, flush with $18 billion in profits this year, has emerged as a major beneficiary of Abenomics. After all, the weakened yen at the center of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's economic program was designed to help the bottom lines of major exporters.

I'm still waiting for proof that they are manipulating yen.  Still haven't seen anything. And that article doesn't prove it either.  Just because an American from Bloomberg says it, doesn't make it true.

Keep trying.  I have lots of time.

"Japan has not intervened in foreign exchange markets since the end of 2011.."

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2015, 06:12:40 pm »

I'm still waiting for proof that they are manipulating yen.  Still haven't seen anything. And that article doesn't prove it either.  Just because an American from Bloomberg says it, doesn't make it true.

Seriously. Listen to their own :censor: Prime Minister! He said they were going to do it, they did it, and they got the results they wanted regarding exports. You are not that stupid. You are that willfully ignorant though apparently.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2015, 08:46:36 pm »

Seriously. Listen to their own :censor: Prime Minister! He said they were going to do it, they did it, and they got the results they wanted regarding exports. You are not that stupid. You are that willfully ignorant though apparently.

The PM is committed to QE.  And if a by-product of that is that it impacts the currency somewhat, then yes I agree.  Just like what every other country is doing.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2015, 01:34:50 am »
^^^^

The immerging problem for VW is China.  The Chinese stock market essentially has collapsed amid the third-biggest credit bubble of all time, the largest investment bubble (proxied by the investment share of GDP) and the second-biggest real-estate bubble

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/china-is-in-the-midst-of-a-triple-bubble-2015-7#ixzz3hXQE1tXr

Shockwaves from a drop in Chinese car demand are reverberating in Wolfsburg, Germany and Detroit, Michigan, where VW (VOWG_p.DE) and General Motors (GM.N) are feeling the effects of a slowdown in a market that has been their big profit engine.

Both Volkswagen and GM are heavily exposed to China, which remains a growth market, but last week cut its 2015 forecast for vehicle sales. The two car makers depend on the country for large parts of their profits and cash flow, and neither has a convincing story to tell about how to offset a slowdown in growth in the world's largest car market with other parts of their business.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/07/16/uk-china-autos-volkswagen-gm-idUKKCN0PQ2LL20150716

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2015, 02:04:13 am »

Like Volvo owners getting ragged for owning Chinese cars?   :stick:
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2015, 05:30:18 pm »
Just watched a Toyota Camry TV commercial while watching golf... :rofl2: They must be worried

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSVGaN9s7dI

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2015, 10:17:13 pm »
Just watched a Toyota Camry TV commercial while watching golf... :rofl2: They must be worried

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSVGaN9s7dI

It's like a dumba$$ remake of that old Acura ad - "Ist das ein deutsches Auto?"  "Nein, Acura."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0cbCuc-zjo

As if a German would know what (or even give a flying Philadelphia f@ck about) an Acura is.  The Vigor was kind of a wannabe Audi with its 5-cylindre engine...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 10:38:09 pm by Scaerio »