Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 824254 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #1480 on: February 01, 2016, 11:13:10 am »
Is it the space version of Tom Hank's Castaway?

God, no.  I hated that movie.

I kind of liked that movie.  I think Tom Hanks did a pretty good job. 

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +15/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Lexus RX330, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #1481 on: February 01, 2016, 12:09:57 pm »
Is it the space version of Tom Hank's Castaway?

The Martian is much lighter in tone and doesn't focus on the psychological aspects of being marooned as much as Castaway.
"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret." - The Dish

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #1482 on: February 01, 2016, 12:17:52 pm »
Last weekend we watched 'Straight Outta Compton', basically the story of NWA and it's related members.  While I've never been a huge rap fan, I still appreciated learning about NWA and where they came from, where they ended up, etc.  I thought the movie was really well done, too.  Definitely a good watch for sure, and you don't even have to be a hardcore rap fan to enjoy it, although I would recommend that anybody who absolutely detests the genre maybe pass up on it.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #1483 on: February 05, 2016, 08:30:05 am »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1143
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #1484 on: February 05, 2016, 08:38:53 am »
The kids are gone to bed at a decent hour and it's nice to have all my work done for the day.  It't not a new movie, but sitting down now to watch one of my favourite modern war movies on blu ray......We Were Soldiers.  Having a couple local Pilnsers while I'm at it as well.  :)

Love that movie too.  :thumbup: Saw it 3-4 times. Time to see it again!

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1485 on: February 05, 2016, 09:26:46 am »
I watched Steve Jobs last night. It was well done, some very good scenes, but it didn't really tell the story I wanted it to tell. It was more about Jobs' personal relationships than the technology he brought to the market.

Also watched The Stanford Prison Experiment. It's very good, and very intense at times.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #1486 on: February 05, 2016, 10:02:19 am »
The kids are gone to bed at a decent hour and it's nice to have all my work done for the day.  It't not a new movie, but sitting down now to watch one of my favourite modern war movies on blu ray......We Were Soldiers.  Having a couple local Pilnsers while I'm at it as well.  :)

One of those rare war movies that manages to have both ass-kicking action and a thoughtful look at both sides of the story. Like very much.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #1487 on: February 05, 2016, 10:58:49 am »

One of those rare war movies that manages to have both ass-kicking action and a thoughtful look at both sides of the story. Like very much.

I loved Sam Elliott in that....I agree, great movie.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #1488 on: February 07, 2016, 10:00:42 am »
Sherlock - The Abominable Bride - We are big fans of the series but did not like this, really disappointed.

Hyena Road
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4034452/

Three different men, three different worlds, three different wars - all stand at the intersection of modern warfare - a murky world of fluid morality where all is not as it seems.

Never heard about this movie before but was walking through Costco and noticed the trailer on their TVs but only caught my attention because the soldiers had CDN flags on their uniforms so I wanted to see what it was called. Really glad I picked this up as its a great movie and bonus points for being a CDN movie.

Picture quality was good although some scenes were soft (usually when taken from the helicopters) but nothing bad. Sound quality was very good but lacked the low end punch needed for the big guns and some explosions. There were some scenes where my house should have shook but it didn't. Like when you fire one of these. Actual scene from the movie which was as cool as it looks.

Finally watched Sicario and enjoyed it. Kept me interested through the entire film.

Same here!  I had to pause it for a bio-break at one point, thinking we were halfway through and was surprised to see that there were only 20 minutes left!  Very, very engrossing, and that soundtrack is something else.  My sub was rumbling the whole time. I also thought the cinematography was superb - very beautifully shot.

Now you have my attention  :rofl2:

You beat me to that comment!  ;D

Well my bass report is a little different. While they did a great job using the bass throughout the score and some effects in the movie I'd rate this one at 6/10. Nice and clean but nothing special and never hits deep and hard. I don't give out an 8 until my couch starts to vibrate.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: February 07, 2016, 09:45:48 pm »
Some good movies coming out on Blu-ray/rental in January that I want see. 

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation
The Walk
The Martian
Sicario
The Intern

Rarely do so many come out that have good reviews, and that I want to see over a 2 week period...

Finally saw The Martian last night, and was rather pleasantly surprised!  Did not think I would laugh out loud so many times; I guess I fired it up thinking I was in for a grim, moody film.  Absolutely not the case.  It's funny, clever and refrains (most of the time) from stepping into that insular rah-rah "USA! USA! USA!" facile :censor: that we've seen with so many other movies of this genre. 

Well done!  I would watch it again.

While in Montreal, we watched The Martian at the hotel.  Connected my laptop to the TV in the room.  No big screen, or big sound, but that's ok, not really needed for this movie.  It was a good movie, I will probably buy it, and put it next to the Cast Away!  Part of our movie tradition is to watch 80's movies that we may haven't seen or not in awhile.  This morning was Risky Business.

So since my first post I have seen The Martian, and Sicario. 

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #1490 on: February 08, 2016, 11:34:41 am »
watched whiplash and fury this past weekend.... liked them both. wife liked whiplash better, but as a music teacher (and not into war films [plus brad pitt was dirty most of the movie]) that should be expected...

fury, interesting look without being too glorified... lots of messy stuff, some looks into the 'day to day' life of WWII especially in the tank divisions... some of the hardest stuff isn't the warfare... watched the 'making of' type thing as well and it was interesting hearing them speak with some old vets who hadn't shared much with their families even.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #1491 on: February 08, 2016, 01:10:43 pm »
Watched The Intern, finally.  Very entertaining to watch De Niro in an understated, nice-guy role.  Anne Hathaway is luminous, as always.  The premise to the story is cute, some scenes are hilarious and some are just groaners.  Overall, something that you could watch with your grandma without cringing too much.  Save it for a day when fluff is just about all you can handle.  7/10.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: February 08, 2016, 01:20:55 pm »
Watched The Intern, finally.  Very entertaining to watch De Niro in an understated, nice-guy role.  Anne Hathaway is luminous, as always.  The premise to the story is cute, some scenes are hilarious and some are just groaners.  Overall, something that you could watch with your grandma without cringing too much.  Save it for a day when fluff is just about all you can handle.  7/10.

Yeah, the wife and I enjoyed it as well. Really hard not enjoy De Niro in a nice grandpa role.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #1493 on: February 08, 2016, 01:25:12 pm »

^  Any movie in the past I don't know.. 5 years ?? that I see DeNiro is in is pure cringe-worthy, including The Intern, but this at least seems watchable. 
I mean.. Bad oops  Dirty Grandpa??  Really??   ::)
I'm sure he'd just look at me, tell me to fack off and have a look at his bank account balance...

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:29:00 pm by Weels »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #1494 on: February 08, 2016, 01:31:10 pm »

^  Any movie in the past I don't know.. 5 years ?? that I see DeNiro is in is pure cringe-worthy, including The Intern, but this at least seems watchable. 
I mean.. Bad Grandpa??  Really??   ::)
I'm sure he'd just look at me, tell me to fack off and have a look at his bank account balance...

I agree with Weels.

I gave Intern :thumbdown:  Was expecting a comedy but felt like a got an after school special about life isn't over when your partner and all your friends die. Everything was predictable. Just watch the long trailer and move on.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #1495 on: February 08, 2016, 01:48:22 pm »
Watched Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on the weekend.  Definitely couldn't have made it through that movie without the action provided by the zombie killing.  Overall not a bad movie but probably wouldn't recommend spending your money for a movie ticket unless you're a Zombie movie fan like me...or like the Pride and Prejudice book I guess. 

World War Z was a better book and movie.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: February 08, 2016, 01:56:11 pm »
Watched Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on the weekend.  Definitely couldn't have made it through that movie without the action provided by the zombie killing.  Overall not a bad movie but probably wouldn't recommend spending your money for a movie ticket unless you're a Zombie movie fan like me...or like the Pride and Prejudice book I guess. 

World War Z was a fantastically excellent book and an absolutely horrible, terrible, no good, very bad, PG13 movie.....if you say that PPZ is that bad, wow, its gotta be really bad.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1497 on: February 08, 2016, 02:40:06 pm »

World War Z was a fantastically excellent book and an absolutely horrible, terrible, no good, very bad, PG13 movie.....if you say that PPZ is that bad, wow, its gotta be really bad.

I didn't read the book so I didn't watch it in that context but I didn't think World War Z was bad at all. Not amazing but I was entertained.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: February 08, 2016, 02:42:17 pm »

I mean.. Bad oops  Dirty Grandpa??  Really??   ::)

Very disappointed with Robert De Niro lately.  I prefer his serious roles.  The last movie I liked him in was Men Of Honour back in 2000, although that movie didn't get a good review.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #1499 on: February 08, 2016, 02:58:34 pm »

Didn't say that World War Z was the best movie around, just that it was better than PPZ.  The reason I say this is the love story and all the PP parts of the movie.  Not really sure why you hated WWZ?  I thought it was an above average Zombie movie.  Had very little to do with the book.