Author Topic: One meter rule  (Read 18053 times)

ltruong

Re: One meter rule
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2016, 11:36:14 am »
This is some Stupid Sh*t.  I'm all for enforcing safety and having bike on the road but come on.  Some of the roads are not wide enough.. so what do you do then?   Money grab.... Puppy chow is getting expensive ;)

I though there was a law that you need to keep a minimum of 15Km/h below the speed limit?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 11:50:47 am by ltruong »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2016, 11:50:30 am »
This is some Stupid Sh*t.  I'm all for enforcing safety and having bike on the road but come on.  Some of the roads are not wide enough.. so what do you do then?   Money grab.... Puppy chow is getting expensive ;)

Why say it when you clearly are not? ???

ltruong

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2016, 12:12:40 pm »
What if it's a 2 lane road (one side) and it's stop and go traffic.  The bike is lane splitting(if it's legal to lane split I don't know) but eventually catches up to the 2 cars stopped at the red light.  Clearly not 1m on each side for each cars but the cars were stopped before there was even a bike there.  The light turns green and all 3 (car, bike, car) start moving.  Should both cars get a ticket?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2016, 12:47:57 pm »

Just answer me this question. Assume a driver is passing a cyclist. Driver gives the cyclist the required 1m and passes at a reasonable speed (say 10km/h faster). While the pass is in progress, the cyclist swerves left (reason unknown). The driver is unable to react as they are out of space, and in any case the situation happened too quickly for the driver to reasonably react especially given that the cyclist was in the driver's blind spot by that time. A collision occurs aa the cyclist collides into the car, gets knocked off and hits his head and dies from brain trauma.

Who is at fault ?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

If you pass a tractor, and it collides with you, isn't it at fault? The same rules apply, except you can pass closer to one

In my eyes, unless the reason the cyclist swerves and collides would have made the pass an unsafe one, the cyclist would be at fault.

:censor: moronic.   

Like many of the questions and answers in this thread.

I assume you are referring to my hypothetical scenario.

In that case, dear Bob, how is this rule to be applied? How is it to be governed? What are the responsibilities of drivers? What are the responsibilities (assuming there are any, which doesn't seem to be the case) of cyclists?

pi314 asserts that there is a scenario where a pass that begins as a safe pass can be made unsafe at the fault of the driver due to the movement of the cyclist. What is this scenario? What are the principles that govern fault in such a scenario and can we generalize them to an overall framework of fault determination?

In other words does this policy hold up from an ethical and logical perspective, or is it ultimately just convenience and politics?

I'm just saying, it's a law to try to enforce some common sense, and common sense should be applied.

If you are closer than 1m to me then you are probably a little too close, give me a bit more room.
If you are 1m or more away when you overtake, great, thanks for the space.
If you gave me space and I swerved a little to avoid something, probably not your fault. My bad.
If you gave me space and I swerved into you, again, probably my fault.
If you gave me no space and I had to swerve and I hit you, you were probably too close.  I rarely have to swerve more than 1m to avoid something.

You don't need to come up with many legal guidelines to enforce the above, common sense should apply.  Give cyclists enough space and there won't be any issues.  And just like sides in any debate, there will be extremes, same as idiot car drivers and idiot cyclists.
  :cheers:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2016, 01:24:34 pm »
What if it's a 2 lane road (one side) and it's stop and go traffic.  The bike is lane splitting(if it's legal to lane split I don't know) but eventually catches up to the 2 cars stopped at the red light.  Clearly not 1m on each side for each cars but the cars were stopped before there was even a bike there.  The light turns green and all 3 (car, bike, car) start moving.  Should both cars get a ticket?

That's not what we're talking about.

From the article: "Drivers are being asked to leave one metre of room between their vehicles and cyclists they pass."

I haven't looked up the actual law, but assume the writers of the article got it right (yeah, I know  ::) )

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2016, 01:32:12 pm »
Not the actual law, but from the MTO website:

"New One-Metre Passing Law

Q1: What is the penalty to drivers for not leaving a minimum of one-metre distance when passing a cyclist?
The penalty for not leaving a minimum one-metre passing distance is a set fine of $85.00 plus a $5 court fee plus a $20 victim surcharge fine for a total payable of $110.00.
Drivers who contest their ticket by going to court may face a fine of up to $500 if found guilty (fine range is $60 to $500). Upon conviction, two demerit points will also be assigned against the individual’s driver record.

Q2: Will cyclists also be required to leave a minimum one-metre distance when passing a vehicle?
Cyclists are not required to leave a specific one-metre space; however, they are required to obey all the rules of the road.   Cyclists who are being overtaken should turn out to the right to allow the vehicle to pass.

Q3: What if there isn’t enough room to allow for a one-metre passing distance?  Can a vehicle cross the centre median line to pass the cyclist?
A motorist may, if done safely, and in compliance with the rules of the road, cross the centre line of a roadway in order to pass a cyclist. If this cannot be done, he or she must wait behind the cyclist until it is safe to pass."

Seems like common sense to me.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2016, 02:24:51 pm »
Here is another one that ticks me off. People that don't wait until the way is clear before passing. On Sunday we had some idiot in a pickup pass our group and run the approaching car onto the shoulder.

https://youtu.be/Y-oMSEaVA-4

I actually think this happens more than getting buzzed.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2016, 03:20:57 pm »
Here is another one that ticks me off. People that don't wait until the way is clear before passing. On Sunday we had some idiot in a pickup pass our group and run the approaching car onto the shoulder.

https://youtu.be/Y-oMSEaVA-4

I actually think this happens more than getting buzzed.

In that video, I see cyclists going in 2 rows.  I see this in the city in my area and I ask WHY?  Why would you risk your life even more by riding in 2 rows instead of one?

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2016, 03:32:05 pm »
In that video, I see cyclists going in 2 rows.  I see this in the city in my area and I ask WHY?  Why would you risk your life even more by riding in 2 rows instead of one?
This is also a pet peeve of mine. As a (admittedly MTB) cycliste, I understand my right to share the road unless otherwise signed. But I don't get it when cyclistes feel that riding 2 or 3 abreast is acceptable with other traffic behind them. Just quickly find your way back into a single file......
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2016, 03:45:26 pm »
This is also a pet peeve of mine. As a (admittedly MTB) cycliste, I understand my right to share the road unless otherwise signed. But I don't get it when cyclistes feel that riding 2 or 3 abreast is acceptable with other traffic behind them. Just quickly find your way back into a single file......

3 abreast is wrong and we yell at anybody in our group that is doing it so it's fixed right away.

Cyclist are allowed to ride 2 abreast. It is actually safer and makes it easier for cars to pass us. Instead of having to pass a single line of 20x1 cyclist you now only have to pass 10x2.

Besides, since you can't pass until the way is clear, what does it matter if there is one or two cyclist wide?

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2016, 03:45:52 pm »

I don't get that either.

I'm a casual rider at best but I make sure I stay as far right as possible at all times.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2016, 04:24:40 pm »

3 abreast is wrong and we yell at anybody in our group that is doing it so it's fixed right away.

Cyclist are allowed to ride 2 abreast. It is actually safer and makes it easier for cars to pass us. Instead of having to pass a single line of 20x1 cyclist you now only have to pass 10x2.

Besides, since you can't pass until the way is clear, what does it matter if there is one or two cyclist wide?

If the rightmost lane is wide enough for me to pass a single file cyclists while giving them more than a 1m gap, does the law require me to move to another lane?  If there are 2 abreast, the said lane wouldn't be wide enough while still giving them a 1m gap.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2016, 04:48:13 pm »

Lane and shoulder widths are not universally the same. 2 abreast maybe fine if it is a main arterial with 3,3m+ lane widths. On a rural road here, that shrinks down to 2,7m with no right striping/shoulder. Riding 2 abreast makes it more difficult for an overtaking vehicle to maintain a safe space between his/her vehicle and the cyclist closest to the centre while also not running onto the far left side.