Author Topic: Coffee Grinders  (Read 9581 times)

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: Coffee Grinders
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 03:38:20 pm »
... fine grind of the cheapie in my French press.

Huh?  French presses work best with a coarse grind.

Finer the better for me. I'll trade better flavor for a bit of sludge in the bottom.

The ideal grind for a coffee press is coarser than other brew methods such as pour over.

http://brewmethods.com/

(It should feel similar to rough sand/raw sugar)

http://www.batdorfcoffee.com/index.php/learn/french-press-brewing-basics.html

"I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?"
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:54:11 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 11:07:30 am »
Well, thanks to Visa Gold points, I blew away the price restriction and ordered the unit that I really wanted, based on several reviews.  It's a Breville Smart Grinder.  Does everything I want but with a fussier cleaning regimen, it seems:

From the Breville site:
http://www.breville.ca/the-smart-grinder.html

More details from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.ca/Breville-BCG800XL-BREBCG800XL-Smart-Grinder/dp/B0043EWFAM

Review from a comparison of several grinders:
http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/04/coffee-grinders/?pid=3343
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 10:16:10 pm »
Well, thanks to Visa Gold points, I blew away the price restriction and ordered the unit that I really wanted, based on several reviews.  It's a Breville Smart Grinder.  Does everything I want but with a fussier cleaning regimen, it seems:

From the Breville site:
http://www.breville.ca/the-smart-grinder.html

More details from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.ca/Breville-BCG800XL-BREBCG800XL-Smart-Grinder/dp/B0043EWFAM

Review from a comparison of several grinders:
http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/04/coffee-grinders/?pid=3343

Very nice 8)
2.7kg!! 25 grind settings!!  Ah heck, my grinder weighs about 1 pound I think and the grind setting is whatever patience I have to keep that button pressed + noise. ;D

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 10:05:33 am »
Yeah, it's pretty fancy.  When it arrives, I will have three Breville gadgets.  I really like their build quality, so I'm hoping that this unit lives up to the reliability of the other devices.

I doubt very much that I will be coming close to trying all its permutations but we shall see.  I have a drip, french press and a stove top espresso maker (unused because it takes too damn long).  My girlfriend has a powered espresso maker (standard 15 bars pressure), which might add to the fun.

A bit of explanation about the change of direction:

After reading various comparison reviews of the top contenders, I looked at my budget and realized that a prudent choice was to dismiss any idea of the Breville and concentrate on machines in the range of $100 to $150, leaning toward the lower end of the scale.  I then sought the advice of coffee lovers on this forum, trusting that there had to be a few lovers of the bean.  We do watches, cigars and scotch after all; why not coffee?

BTW, thanks for your input; it did cause me to look long and hard at models that I had overlooked, notably the Bodum.  It might sound like a lot of work for an appliance but look at it this way:  it's got a motor and as such, requires much research.   ;)

Anyway, I had an idle thought to check the catalogue on the Visa Gold Points reward site and lo and behold, there it was!  I looked at the number of points needed and realized that I had that and more.  I called them the next day and placed the order.  Score!

The one irony of my research is that several people mentioned that they used to have the same Braun model I have and loved its reliable service, day in and day out.  The reason for switching is always the same:   It finally died after many years of solid use but could be neither repaired nor replaced owing to Braun's departure from the appliance market in North America.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 11:15:58 am »
You can't beat the Breville Smart Grinder for price if you're looking for a doser grinder. Great for pour brew machines, coffee presses, moka pot and pressurized portafilter espresso machines.
If you were into hard core espresso, this might not be your machine

Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy your brew.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 11:25:42 am »
I just looked and it has gone from the Royal rewards  site. I guess you got the last one!
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 11:34:51 am »
I just looked and it has gone from the Royal rewards  site. I guess you got the last one!

CIBC in my case.  Although it would not surprise me in the least to find out that all the various VISA gold rewards systems dip into the same master catalogue.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 12:51:24 pm »
There are coffee grinders for over $100!  WTF!  I paid $20 for my cuisinart and have had it over 5 yrs and works great!  Well I shouldn't be suprised i guess especially after talking to a friend the other night who told me he just paid over $1000 on 2 POWER cords for his new $7000 mono-amplifiers!  He was thrilled that he got a deal!  :o
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 12:53:56 pm by KarlsDarwin »

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 01:07:01 pm »
There are coffee grinders for over $100!  WTF!  I paid $20 for my cuisinart and have had it over 5 yrs and works great!  Well I shouldn't be suprised i guess especially after talking to a friend the other night who told me he just paid over $1000 on 2 POWER cords for his new $7000 mono-amplifiers!  He was thrilled that he got a deal!  :o

One hundred would not come close to a decent espresso grinder. It will get you close to a decent burr coffee grinder for other brewing methods.
Blade grinders $20 type are best used for spices and nuts as they are not ideal for coffee due to the inconsistent grind size and heat generated.
Good burr grinders have reduced burr speeds and strong torque motors. The burrs are either flat or conical in shape.

http://www.espressoplanet.com/coffee-espresso/coffee-grinder/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 01:36:30 pm by redman »

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 01:14:54 pm »

Those grinders use a blade which spins through the same set of beans many times, heating some of it, leaving other bits in various sized chunks.  It's the heating of the grind by the continual motion of high speed blades that is the worst part of it.  Heating the grounds changes the flavour.  In extreme cases, I can easily imagine getting a "burned" taste off the grounds.  The inconsistent grind is a secondary although important problem as well.

For the record, I too had one of those cheap $20 grinders, once upon a time.  After I thought about what was going on, I did some reading which confirmed my ideas.  I then bought my first (and current) burr grinder, the Braun KMM30.  That was about 17 years ago.  I never looked back.

My advice?  Go try out a burr grinder.  As you can tell by this thread and online reviews, there are several from which to choose:  flat burr vs conical burr, different grades of steel for the burrs, plastic housing/containers vs sturdier materials, etc.  Then there is the price.

Oh and that $20 grinder that I had?  It became relegated to grinding spices, albeit with the same caveats of heating and inconsistent grind size.  I stopped using it for that purpose as well at some point.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:19:10 pm by random006 »

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 02:04:03 pm »
^^  Where does the madness end!    :o My wife is into the "buy local, organic preference, grass fed beef, free range chickens/eggs, cold-pressed oil, gluten/wheat-free food obsessionism craze" for years now, so i get this type of lecture all the time.  She rarely shops at grocery store any more, so it's costing us a fortune to eat already.  She has 3 of those blade type grinders now (different one for each spice i guess  ???) not counting the one i use for coffee, so I will not mention the burr-grinder one to her, or guaranteed she will want 3 of them!!  :'(

This probably explains why most coffee shops around my area have awful coffee!  There is only 1 coffee shop I can recommend in this province and it is a place called "Paradise Imports" on York St in Fredericton.  It is hands down the best coffee i have tasted in NB!  I spoke with the owner who gave me a similar lecture about how to make the perfect coffee, although i dont remember the burr-grinder part. I do remember him saying you have to roast fresh daily and brew within 12 seconds of grinding. Oh yeah, the $6000 machine he bought in Quebec probably helps a little!

Thanks for the advice, but I have enough obsessions for now thanks, but i appreciate and encourage your passion!  :)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 02:18:16 pm by KarlsDarwin »

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 02:21:41 pm »
^^  Where does the madness end!    :o My wife is into the "buy local, organic preference, grass fed beef, free range chickens/eggs, cold-pressed oil, gluten/wheat-free food obsessionism craze" for years now, so i get this type of lecture all the time.  She rarely shops at grocery store any more, so it's costing us a fortune to eat already.  She has 3 of those blade type grinders now (different one for each spice i guess  ???) not counting the one i use for coffee, so I will not mention the burr-grinder one to her, or guaranteed she will want 3 of them!!  :'(

This probably explains why most coffee shops around my area have awful coffee!  There is only 1 coffee shop I can recommend in this province and it is a place called "Paradise Imports" on York St in Fredericton.  It is hands down the best coffee i have tasted in NB!  I spoke with the owner who gave me a similar lecture about how to make the perfect coffee, although i dont remember the burr-grinder part. I do remember him saying you have to roast fresh daily and brew within 12 seconds of grinding. Oh yeah, the $6000 machine he bought in Quebec probably helps a little!

Thanks for the advice, but I have enough obsessions for now thanks, but i appreciate and encourage your passion!  :)

You got to try Java Blend Coffee Roasters in New Brunswick http://www.javablendcoffee.com/contact.php if you're looking for roasters in your province. Or Java Moose if you're ever on the rock.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 02:28:47 pm by redman »

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 02:23:41 pm »
That explains the homeless guy I met the other day, he asked me if I had $20 so he could buy a cup of coffee...
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 02:24:24 pm »

You got to try Java Blend Coffee Roasters in New Brunswick http://www.javablendcoffee.com/contact.php if you're looking for roasters in your province.

Say what?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 02:26:31 pm »

You got to try Java Blend Coffee Roasters in New Brunswick http://www.javablendcoffee.com/contact.php if you're looking for roasters in your province.

???

Java Blend Coffee Roasters
6027 North Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia CanadaB3K 1N9

Thanks, I will try it next time i am in Halifax, but that is over a 4 hour drive from me.  I am there quite often though!  :)

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 03:02:26 pm »

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 03:38:01 pm »
Ordered one of these.
Looking forward to enhancing my morning caffienation.

http://www.creativecoffee.ca/Coffee-Grinders-Electric/Capresso/Capresso-565-Infinity-Burr-Grinder-Stainless-p293/

Congrats that's the one I have. Good grinder for all but fine espresso and more uniform grind particles than my previous Baratza Encore especially on coarser grinds ie F.Press. Minor issue listed below.

- To large of a area surrounding and below burrs that keep grinds. Resulting in older coffee on next use. Needs cleaning often especially with oilier darker roasts.
- Hopper lid needs handle as the clear plastic is invisible in certain lighting and angles. Have placed beans on top of lid accidentally.
- No on/off switch. Have to wait for timer to expire for machine to stop

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 04:29:23 pm »
Congrats that's the one I have. Good grinder for all but fine espresso and more uniform grind particles than my previous Baratza Encore especially on coarser grinds ie F.Press. Minor issue listed below.

- To large of a area surrounding and below burrs that keep grinds. Resulting in older coffee on next use. Needs cleaning often especially with oilier darker roasts.
- Hopper lid needs handle as the clear plastic is invisible in certain lighting and angles. Have placed beans on top of lid accidentally.
- No on/off switch. Have to wait for timer to expire for machine to stop

That's what i was looking for... we have an auto Espresso machine that grinds the beans, so was wanting something for my regular morning cup and the odd french press.
I'm a bit of a neat freak, so don't mind taking the time cleaning.
Didn't realize there is no on/off switch, that kinda sucks, but ah well.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2015, 04:37:23 pm »
Weels, keep me posted on how you like the new grinder.  I have a somewhat decent blade grinder but wouldn't mind switching over to a burr grinder. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 05:08:45 pm »
Weels, keep me posted on how you like the new grinder.  I have a somewhat decent blade grinder but wouldn't mind switching over to a burr grinder.

Don't forget to check out the one I mentioned in the previous posts.  I have had my Breville Smart Grinder now for over a year and love it.  I can go from extremely fine espresso grind right up to the coarsest of grinds for french press or percolators.  It's a become a bit more pricey that it used to be before the dollar took a dive, though.  Right now, it's listed at $260 or so on Amazon.ca ($199 on Amazon.com) but it's worth it.